Hi guys,

I plan to install a new in-house PBX, but I'm not secure in my knowledge, so I need some confirmation. I've done some research and I feel an IP PBX would be my primary choice.

I run a small trade company that needs 12 telephones (including hardphones and mobile devices as well). We use them for both of internal and external communication.

In addtition to the basic PBX features (as well as call routing, conference calling, voicemail, call queuing, etc.) I have some special requirements related to the new phone system:

• I have only one office, but my employees (especially the sales representatives) are often out-of the office. That's why mobile phones are essentially needed for us. So I'd like to attach mobile devices to our PBX as well.
  • Concerning that my target audience consists of mainly young people (they are mostly 26-35 years old), I'd like to facilitate them to contact us by using any innovative, free, Internet-based communication method. So a chat console and/or a click-to-call webphone would be also appreciated.
After checking the possible solutions at Alternativeto.net, I've tried some trial versions and finally it seems that Ozeki Phone systems suits best for my needs.

Can anybody tell me if this is a good option for my requirements? Is there any other option I should look at? Because I'm always searching for the best, I tend to be a little (that is very) insecure, so I'd like to hear other people's opinion about the issue. A little review of it will be a great help for me! (Is it stable, trustworthy, etc...?)

I’m looking forward to your opinion here or even in e-mail (just.me.warner@gmail.com)! Thanks a lot in advance!

Regards,

Justin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Right now, I have RasPBX running an a RaspberryPi. My phone system is pretty small with only 1 desk phone and 4 softphones. 6 lines including a dedicated voicemail line. For something bigger, I'd use AsteriskNOW on something with better specs. I virtualized it and had a pretty stable system running for a few months before I built up the RasPBX system. It only took me a few hours to make and receive the first test calls.

My outbound trunks are actually Google Voice numbers. I hope to register several sequential GV numbers (yeah, it matters to me) so I can have a DID for every user.

The only money I spent was on the RaspberryPi, but at $50 it wasn't that bad and I didn't even make the purchase specifically for the PBX. On top of that, my previous VoIP provider sent me a desk phone in error, refunded me for it, but never sent me a shipping label to return it so I ended up with a free phone.

Interesting, but for this to work all your phones need to be VOIP phones, right? There isn't an expansion to attach (or USB stick for all I care) that would make the device operate on an old phone system?

I think you can use the analog trunk cards to connect the Asterisk server to a legacy PBX system. Normally they'd be used to trunk out to the physical phone lines. It would only make sense if you needed to transition a larger PBX to a VoIP system without serious service interruption.

I think you can use the analog trunk cards to connect the Asterisk server to a legacy PBX system. Normally they'd be used to trunk out to the physical phone lines. It would only make sense if you needed to transition a larger PBX to a VoIP system without serious service interruption.

Yes you can, but depending on the systems, it can be somewhat of a major pain in the ass to get it working just right.

AsteriskNOW and PiAF are pretty much the same. They both use the FreePBX GUI on top of Asterisk and are built on CentOS, if memory serves.