Ethernet client mode

Hamclock

Someone asked this question earlier (not on this forum), but their question hasn't gotten any attention.

Is there a way to get the Pineapple to act as a client when connected to a router via Ethernet? Currently, it tries to act as its own router, and refuses to lease an IP -- static or via DHCP -- over a wired connection.

I tried asking a similar question a while back about doing this via wlan0 and was met with bewilderment as to why I'd ever want to do such a crazy (and apparently impossibly complicated) thing. I'm hoping the "get internet acces via Ethernet" use case is a little easier to see.

Short answer: Yes, it's possible.
Longer answer: I don't have my pineapple in front of me so I can't give you the step-by-step instructions, but at it's core it's simply a Linux system with some custom scripts to manage the configuration. If you're familiar with Linux networking you can manually configure any kind of network setup you like. I've done mesh networking with a Pineapple.

I'm the one that put the suggestion up on wifipineapple.com :smile:

I did try to reconfigure the eth0 interface to work in this manner... but my Linux sorcery skills were not up to the task and it didn't work very well.

It would be nice to be able to use one of the DIP switches to change the operation of the eth0 interface.

Default switch position leaves eth0 in it's current mode... flip the switch, reboot and the eth0 is in "client" mode... ready to be assigned an IP address and gateway via DHCP.

I'm the one that put the suggestion up on wifipineapple.com :smile:

I did try to reconfigure the eth0 interface to work in this manner... but my Linux sorcery skills were not up to the task and it didn't work very well.

It would be nice to be able to use one of the DIP switches to change the operation of the eth0 interface.

Default switch position leaves eth0 in it's current mode... flip the switch, reboot and the eth0 is in "client" mode... ready to be assigned an IP address and gateway via DHCP.

The exact functionality you speak of is being considered for a future firmware. Until then it's mostly a matter of removing the static IP and replacing the protocol with dhcp in the config. Here's a great page on openwrt network configuration http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/uci/network