Sophos - "World of WarBiking"

Hey Everyone.

Who has heard of Sophos? or Warbiking? prehaps you may know it as War Driving

Sophos is a UK Based Security company and they are doing a very nice job of showing security experts the general habits of the people hungry for Wifi.

Whats very intresting - is he is doing it all with the Hak 5 Wifi Pineapple. If you watch a video you can see it there - clearly James is not about to reveal what it really is loosly calling it a "Access point" but any one from here will see its a Mk 5.

Latest News artical -

'Warbiking' reveals increasing need for Sydneysiders to change wireless security habits

http://www.cmo.com.au/mediareleases/19781/warbiking-reveals-increasing-need-for/

For those of you in London, San Fran etc, you may find your city has already been "Warbiked" by this fellow.

http://www.sophos.com/en-us/security-news-trends/security-trends/bottom-line/project-warbike.aspx

As This fellow is not going to get to every town and city - it would be cool to see other members survey results. how does your town compare to the recent results of Sydney?

• 2 weeks later...

Tiz an MKV for sure. Do we have an infusion that will plot the GPS locations on a map like the videos show, or was that plugged into the map after the fact? I've been using the Pineapple since the MKV came out. Until recently I felt alone, outside of our community, in knowing what it was and what it could do. Now, it seems, that people are at least familiar with the name Pineapple as a tool. I can't wait till DefCon for any new information we can get about the future of the MKV.

Tiz an MKV for sure. Do we have an infusion that will plot the GPS locations on a map like the videos show, or was that plugged into the map after the fact?

its Possible that this data was collected (for the maps) via the "wiGLE.net" wardriving app. you turn it on and drive down your street and pretty much every AP in range will be detected, noted with GPS cords, SSID name, and what encryption type it has.

• 2 weeks later...

its Possible that this data was collected (for the maps) via the "wiGLE.net" wardriving app. you turn it on and drive down your street and pretty much every AP in range will be detected, noted with GPS cords, SSID name, and what encryption type it has.

You can also upload kismet files to wigle.

• 7 months later...

You can easily make your own map like that using kismet to capture and use giskismet to convert the .netkml file to a .kml file which you can open up in google earth. I set one of my dipswitch boot modes to automatically record AP names and GPS data using kismet_server. This is my current setup:

"ifconfig wlan1 down; iwconfig wlan1 mode monitor; ifconfig wlan1 up; sleep 5; kismet_server"

Here's a good tutorial on how to get kismet installed and set up on your wifi pineapple. I suggest changing the writeinverval= variable in the kismet.conf file to sometime shorter than 300 (default) because once you unplug it, you loose all the data that it captured since the last save.

http://www.hackedexistence.com/project/wifi-pineapple/wardriving-with-wifi-pineapple-kismet.html

If its XML,just drag it onto google earth and it will plot them. You can do the same thing with GPX files from geocaching, it will parse it so long as it's in XML format.