100m point to point wifi

So I'm contemplating connecting my grandparents home to my home network via a 100m point to point connection using 2 yagi antenna (https://hakshop.myshopify.com/products/16dbi-yagi-antenna) and 2 tp-link tl-wr841nd (http://www.ncix.com/detail/tp-link-tl-wr841nd-4-port-10-100-98-54972.htm) access points running openwrt. What I want to know if how well this will work and what kind of speed i should theoretically get. Also if you have any better hardware to use that is still low cost I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

I'm actually wondering if that can in fact work at all.

Can you get 1 of those wireless antennas on the router to operate in client mode?

I'm actually wondering if that can in fact work at all.

Can you get 1 of those wireless antennas on the router to operate in client mode?

I have one already and it seems to work. Also I'd have one in client mode then hardwired to a desktop PC.

Edited by _Rogue

Then I don't really see a lot of problems. 100m isn't a particularly large distance. Going with a yagi might even be considered overkill, but it certainly won't hurt. Just make sure they both point at eachoter (like DUH).

Speeds... Well presumably it's capable of 300 MBit or 37.5 MB/s but that's theoretical speed and you'll never see that anywhere in practice. I guess 25 MB/s would be the more reasonable figure.

At that distance latency will be a non-issue, for the signal, don't know what the hardware will add. You're biggest problem will be getting above all the local flora and buildings. Think of the signals between the antennas as a large oval (fresnel zone) and not a laser beam. Anything that protrudes into that oval will effect the signal. The longest point to point I've worked on is 13 miles (20.9 km). The antennas were about 120 feet above the ground on a tower, and on top of a 8 foot tower which was on top of a 8 story building. Though this was with licensed spectrum 5ghz gear. We also had several shots that were with normal consumer cisco wireless gear that were anywhere between 1 and 5 miles. Lately I've been using a lot of Ubiquity point to point gear. Really nice stuff. The one think I really like about it is the antenna and radio are one unit. They are powered over ethernet, so you only have one cable going to the unit, and they come with the injectors since they're not standard spec poe for some reason...

IMG_20140529_165029.jpg

I forgot to take a picture to the other end of this link. It's not ideal, but we couldn't mount a pole to the structure, so the antenna is only a foot above the ridge line of the building. They are only 200 feet apart, but the client couldn't run wire between the buildings. Definately crap in the fresnel zone, but it was the only real choice in the matter. It works good enough for the client though, much better than the crap internet connection they were using to vpn between the buildings.

IMG_20140529_163342.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question....

If setting up a long distance link, how long and how many repeaters could you use to create a point to point link.

And how reliable would it be, and what type of delay would you expect with a chain setup.

I have been thinking of this for a while.

It's as reliable and fast as the most unreliable and slowest segment.

You incur some latency as you increase the amount of hops (a few ms per hop, nothing major if your hardware can muster it), but reliability should be just fine so long as each segment can talk to the next.

You might want to look into the bufferbloat problem on ways to increase throughput and reduce latency by reducing the amount of buffering done by the device.

Oh, and there's no real limit on the amount of hops. It'll become uneconomical mighty fast as you add repeaters, but it'll work just fine.