Supported High Throughput Client Mode Radios

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair point. Let's just leave it at those particular cards are no longer made.

Sure, but I think while that card isn't in production what we're learning is that most RaLink RT2xxx devices do work - and that is valuable information. Thank you for your contribution!

Hi guys,

I have a TP-LINK TL-WN7200ND chipset: Ralink RT2870/3070 DRIVER: rt2800usb.

When connecting it to the MKV I actually have lower signal levels BUT more AP´s.

I can scan APs and set monitor mode (wlan2)

Is this considered compatible? What's throwing me off is the lower signals. (when connected straight to the MKV the APs are GREEN, however when connecting it to TP-LINK TL-WN7200ND the bars are yellow)

Strange, isn't it?

Cheers,

cheeto

++UPDATE++

The TP-LINK TL-WN7200ND does not associate with the target AP. I guess it´s safe to conclude that it is not supported.

Edited by cheeto

• 2 months later...

Hey guys,

I can confirm that the "baby brother" to the 722N - the 721N (without the detachable antennae works as well. Here are the details:

TP-LINK TL-WN721N Atheros AR9271 Supported Power usage ?

I can confirm that the Panda Wireless 802.11 n 150Mbps works (w/removeable antenna) .... It is the same chipset as the hak5shop's ALFA RT2780/RT3070.

BBR

Hey Darren et al,

I have a Ralink RT5370 dongle and while it connects and provides internet to clients I'm finding issues with it such as having the pineapple lock up, random reboots, etc to the point where it's unusable. Especially after a client connects I can expect it to reboot. Much more stable with ICS. My Alpha is coming tomorrow and I'll see how it goes with that. This is with 2.0.3. If anyone else is seeing this it may have to be removed from the list for now.

I would like to confirm that the Netgear WNA1100 (Atheros AR9271) works just fine with the pineapple.

P.S. I updated the wiki to reflect this.

Edited by andyfive

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I went out and purchased the AWUS036NEH. I'm still not entirely convinced the AWUS036NEH solves the problem.

Here's what i did.

Setup a hotspot on my Android Galaxy S3 broadcasting on channel 1.

Connected directly to Android hotspot from desktop PC with these results:

l8sukEf.jpg

I then immediately ran the same speed test, again from my desktop PC which is now connected to my pineapple over the air and configured in client mode to connect to the Android hotspot.

Note: pineapple SSID is broadcasting on channel 6 and the hotspot is still running on channel 1.

UMnw6X0.jpg

What am i doing wrong?

Hi Guys,

I went out and purchased the AWUS036NEH. I'm still not entirely convinced the AWUS036NEH solves the problem.

Here's what i did.

Setup a hotspot on my Android Galaxy S3 broadcasting on channel 1.

Connected directly to Android hotspot from desktop PC with these results:

l8sukEf.jpg

I then immediately ran the same speed test, again from my desktop PC which is now connected to my pineapple over the air and configured in client mode to connect to the Android hotspot.

Note: pineapple SSID is broadcasting on channel 6 and the hotspot is still running on channel 1.

UMnw6X0.jpg

What am i doing wrong?

Yes!! I did a very similar test, and got very similar results. The difference is that I did more extensive testing and found that the speed issues went away when either of the connections from/to the pineapple was via ethernet instead of wifi.

I am going to try setting up my RaspberryPi as my linux computer, and link the Pineapple through the ethernet. I will update on what type of speed issues I find with that setup.

Thanks Darren for the Pineapple. Sign me onto the waiting list for the "MARK VI" I have a four and a five and from some of the things that is being discussed, I am definitely buying the next generation.

Geek Thought "A ethernet hub with a Mark 4 & Mark 5 and the RaspberryPi as well as an adroid. Add to the mix a USB hub with Alphas and and USB storage" "Kali on the Pi" "Store that in a case with a couple of batteries and SSH into the mix with a tablet."

Hello Coffee Shop.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes!! I did a very similar test, and got very similar results. The difference is that I did more extensive testing and found that the speed issues went away when either of the connections from/to the pineapple was via ethernet instead of wifi.

Also noticed the same. I would have thought extensive testing would have found this.

Edited by mykrowyre

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am not having the magical experience I thought I would have with the Alfa NHA:-

Sometimes it shows on boot, sometimes it doesn't

Sometimes it is able to grab an IP via Wifi Manager, sometimes it needs a push from Network

Sometimes all of the above works, sometimes it decides to tease you into thinking it's working only to silently die half an hour later

What sort of masochistic AI has been secretly added to this? Why does it hate me so? Most importantly, what can I do about it?

• 2 weeks later...

Spiffy, however I should point out that G is far from obsolete. Roughly 85% of the ~2 billion APs on Wiggle fall under 11g compatible 2.4 channels. https://wigle.net/gps/gps/main/ssidstats?octet=1

Absolutely right. Just because something is n-capable doesn't mean it's using n. All these units will fall back to g at the least sign of a problem, even when both cards are n-capable. Think about it from a design engineering perspective. G is monstrously stable. So are you going to get more complaints and products returned to the store if your design sticks steadfastly to n, or if it immediately negotiates for g at the first sign of trouble? How many customers are even going to notice they're on g instead of n? Answer: not many. I've streamed HD movies from Amazon on both g and n without a hitch. Only problem I had in that experiment was making sure I and the wireless router stayed on n - which isn't easy.

Same thing goes for 3g and 4g, by the way. I've got six 4g devices that I use for telemetry every day. Even line-of-sight with a known 4g Verizon antenna these things regularly fall back to 3g. Why? See above. They still work fine. So I'm not busy obtaining RMA tickets to return them. In each case, their designers have kept their jobs BECAUSE they made that fallback the norm rather than the exception.

Hi all. I'm not sure if this relevant, I have an alfa awus036h I plug into the pineapple, and connect through client mode. But whether I'm connecting to the pineapple through Ap or Ethernet always seem to get nothing more than 3-4mbps. My network is a 25mbps connection and if I plug the adapter in my laptop I do reach roughly 18-20mps. Any insight? That's on a fresh factory reset on the pineapple no 3rd party infusions

datahead: I've gotten as high as 9mbps but it was on a single test with an ethernet connection to a laptop with ICS. Otherwise I'm the same as you. I live in a pretty unpopulated area, so that's probably sufficient for the putzing around I do. If I have 2 clients onboard at the same time I hoop and holler.

Client mode just isn't stable enough to use, at all. If someone wants to give me a step by step or point to one, I'll be happy to eat my words if it works. In client mode, after about 15 minutes, clients get like .9 and .7 mbps. (point nine and point seven). Any slower than that, which is regular, and the speed test just times out.

I've tried it with AWUS036Hs and AWUS036NEHs too. I have two of each. All 4 are great radios in Wireshark. Just not in MK5 client mode.

• 2 weeks later...

Smart-aswood I just don't understand how some are reaching easily 5x the amount of throughput than us? I have a suspicion that maybe was sold a defective device maybe? As its allways been as such for me. about 4 days ago I bought a powered usb hib to maybe see of the case was that the external wifi wasn't getting enough power. And nope, problem still remains exactly the same. And yes, it is a genuine alfa with the hologram sticker and all

Smart-aswood I just don't understand how some are reaching easily 5x the amount of throughput than us? I have a suspicion that maybe was sold a defective device maybe? As its allways been as such for me. about 4 days ago I bought a powered usb hib to maybe see of the case was that the external wifi wasn't getting enough power. And nope, problem still remains exactly the same. And yes, it is a genuine alfa with the hologram sticker and all

He's probably getting better throughput because he used an ethernet connection to his laptop. Look at my previous post in this thread, the problems only seem to come up when the pineapple is acting as both the wifi hotspot and the wifi client for the connection.