Bluetooth Tethering

siftyy

I had posted a thread some time ago about using bluetooth with the Pineapple as a means of tethering to free up both wifi antennas and still have wireless tethering. I hadn't even received my Pineapple back then and was a bit of a noob (I still am) and was wondering how that could be done. Foxtrot mentioned something about kmods? I tried to look at them on the wiki but nothing came up, could someone explain them to me?

You seem to think that bluetooth doesn't require a radio or an antenna. Why is that?

Sorry, I didn't include that I THINK the usb port could be used to add a bluetooth adapter.

Sorry, I didn't include that I THINK the usb port could be used to add a bluetooth adapter.

Hi siftyy,

Personally, I can not recommend using Bluetooth as a means to supply Internet to the pineapple as it would be complicated to set up and has a few unknowns.

I would just get a third wireless and and plug that in over USB. We are releasing a list of compatible USB dangles / chipsets that will work out of the box with the WiFi Pineapple MKV.

Greater range and throughput that Bluetooth has (and also takes up the USB slot).

Best regards,

Sebkinne

Why use Bluetooth?

Personally, I can not recommend using Bluetooth as a means to supply Internet to the pineapple as it would be complicated to set up and has a few unknowns.

I would just get a third wireless and and plug that in over USB. We are releasing a list of compatible USB dangles / chipsets that will work out of the box with the WiFi Pineapple MKV.

Greater range and throughput that Bluetooth has (and also takes up the USB slot).

While I can't think of a use case preferring a Bluetooth dongle over a third WiFi, having options is still nice. I'm curious, has anyone actually done this? Or has anyone used BT as an axillary connection to their pineapple?

Edited by fringes

Hi siftyy,

Best regards,

Sebkinne

Is there a set date for when the list of compatible dongles will be released?

Supported WiFi adapters: https://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/32638-supported-high-throughput-client-mode-radios/

Supported 3G/4G adapters: ...coming really soon...

Information on Bluetooth support in OpenWRT: http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/usb.bluetooth

Successful Bluetooth Tethering: https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=21211