Add Sym Links to new user

newbi3

I am working on an FTP server and I have it configure so that everyone is locked to their home directory, however some files need to be public so I created a file "/publicftp" that all members of the ftpuser group have access to. My only problem is, I am not the one who will be managing this system all the time and I need any new user created to automatically have access to that DIR. I tried to create a symlink for it to /etc/skel but when the users are created there is no luck there. Does anyone know of a way that I can automatically generated a symlink to this file when a user is created? Google turned up no results.

I fixed it, it seemed to be a problem with the ftp client I was using not showing symlinks as directories.

Edited by newbi3

• 4 months later...

Depending on what ftp server you are using you could create a public folder in the root of the user directories (e.g. /home/public) and then when the user connect instead of them connecting to their home directory (/home/username) they could connect to (/home/) and then only have the public folder and their user folder visible/accessible?

I fixed it, it seemed to be a problem with the ftp client I was using not showing symlinks as directories.

Good on you, but I'm a but worried about the cause. Why would your FTP daemon see to it that the client knows it's a symlink? Can the client do something useful (within the context of FTP) with that knowledge? I'd consider this to be (minimal risk) info disclosure bug that should be fixed in the server.