Cell phone jamming

nabs

Hello,

sorry if this is completly unrealistic.

As most people use 3G 4G there's little need to connect to a wifi so you can't intercept the signal. Would it be possible to jamm the cell phone signal. Not al the time but just a burst so that the connection is lost and the phone starts to search for a wifi signal?

Just an idea.

Greetz

Nabs

Yeah, I wouldn't imagine the FCC would take cell phone jamming lightly. This is mainly because in case of emergency, you are limiting communication options.

It's also licensed spectrum. Unless you are a cell provider, it's illegal to broadcast at those frenquencies. Then even if you are a provider, it's still against your license to jam other licensees. You'd face fines, and maybe having your license revoked.

So is there any way of triangulating a user who uses one of these devices? Just curious. Also the capability of the jammer sounds pretty cool.

Also, are there any links to this rule about it being illegal? Sometimes things on a local level are not the same as on a national level.

Edited by overwraith

to my knowlage its not just illigal but if caught using it they concider you a terrorist as its prevents athorties from calling for backup

i know here in canada you cant even buy them i got mine from china

mine does cdma 3g wifi

Yes, I removed links to places where you can buy them. Do it somewhere else.

Cellphone jamming is illegal and should be, as it can prevent communication in emergencies. Can't call 911 etc when jammed.

Let's not delve too deeply into the subject here, please.

Cell phone jamming is actually legal in Indonesia, where I live. It's commonly used in mosques, near the entrances of upscale hotels and clubs (rcIED risk), prisons, and, ironically, from what I surmise (based on incidental, non-technical observation) the US Embassy. Not only are jammers incredibly common, so are malicious femtocells and mobile botnets. Unregulated. It's an RF wild west.

While jamming can prevent communication in emergencies, it can also save lives.

I can also attest that these devices are massively disruptive beyond their intended area.

Edited by fanbase

Hmm this thread is not going the way I intended. The idea was to just send out a burst so that the connection was briefly interupted and the device would change the connection to wifi. It was never the idea to make a cell phone jammer that would keep jamming.

Maybe just lock the thread.

Thx