Recommend WiFi Adapters (Working with Kali)

exactrawr

Hi all,

I have just recently been getting into all of this Pineapple and DeAuth type stuff.

I am looking for a highly rated WiFi antenna/dongle that I can use with my laptop to carry out such things (packet injection, airdrop-ng etc). I will be working with Kali...

I'm not too caught up on price but am wondering if anyone has any recommendations before I go out and decide for myself.

Thanks in advance!

*EDIT*

Here are two that I have in mind. Would either of these be ideal?

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/ASUS_USB-AC56

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/TP-LINK_TL-WN7200ND

Edited by exactrawr

Guest spazi

If you look around the net you will probably see these two very popular and widely used dongles.

1. Alfa AWUS036H (Highly recommended and has better range)

2. Alfa AWUS036NHA (Also great, less range but faster wifi connection)

I own both. They are reliable and plug'n'play. I switch between them both.

When buying WiFi dongles, you need to check what the chipset are and how well they are supported.
I haven't had good experiences with the RT3070 chipset, maybe someone else can vouch for this one.

Edited by spazi

Now I see why people are always going on about how fantastic the Alfa cards are. Bloody hell, that first one can muster a full watt of transmitting power and has the sensitive equivalence of being able to hear a flea fart at 90 feet.

The chipset used here is the Realtek 8187L which is also in http://www.dx.com/p/alfa-1000mw-2-4ghz-802-11b-g-54mbps-usb-wireless-wifi-network-adapter-silver-128702#.U0xVRlRK_88'>this one and the other characteristics seem the same aswell so I'd expect you to get performance within the similar ballpark range as the two Spazi described.

It gets better though. Check this downright mental card out. How do you like the sound of 6 frigging watts of transmitting power? I'm amazed they don't include a heatsink and fan with that. Curious why they would need that second antenna...

Guest spazi

Actually I did a interesting read on the internet. Sadly I can't find the link :(
Anyhoo, I read that some of these "powerful" WiFi dongles aren't even worth a damn thing. The standard 1 watt dongles are really the best there is.

Probably explains why the older Alfa cards are still in production.

If range really is an issue, you should rather buy a directional antenna.

Guest spazi

Congratz, the AWUS036H is a great WiFi dongle!
if you are having deauth issues, make sure you are close enough to the victim PC.
Sometimes a directional antenna does the trick :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have both of those alfa cards and as they said above the AWUS036H has better range but in my opinion the AWUS036NHA has better Deauth & Injection... also get a Yagi Directional Antenna they sell one here on the site, or get one offline somewhere.. I personally made my own ( after about 2 weeks of research after SWR testing it and tweaking it I can safely say its around 26dbi ) next im setting up a 50 ft pole that'll rotate via remote :)

I want to be a more DIY kind of guy, but I couldn't drill a hole in a chunk of wood at a straight 90 degree angle without some tools that I simply do not have, so instead I'm going for the type of Yagi where you stick what amounts to copper tape onto plexiglass instead. I'd be doing this now if it wasn't for my current situation preventing me from accessing the large sheet of plexi I have in my garage at home, me being to tight-arsed to want to buy a new sheet knowing this and the SMA bulkhead connectors not having arrived yet. Once I've made mine I'm also going to test the difference between just using that vs using that from within a can. The toilet brush holder at Ikea is the perfect size can for this sort of thing.

Looks a lot like a Fon on steroids. I can get one here for the low-low price of just shy of 80 euros. I'm hoping you're getting yours for a rather substantial amount less...

But we are getting off track here man... Get a yagi for real and remember the higher you mount it the better. I just got my HAM Radio. License so I'm rigging mine on a 50 ft pole. As far as anyone knows it's for my radio and not my wifi ...

• 2 weeks later...

I have the following adapters connected to a 40 feet outdoor antenna with an indoor 5W wifi amplifier

1.AWUS036NH

Good packet injecter

Strong Signal Strength for most AP

Connects to most access points

Was not able to connect to some access points despite excellent signal strength

Generates alot of heat

about 20-25 AP detected with direct connection to amplifier (no cabling)

plug n play in kali and bt 5 r3

2.AWUS036NHA

excellent packet injecter

most access points had moderate signal strength but was able to connect to Most AP that had weak signals (-91dBm)

Generates less heat

Works well with a 5W wifi amplifier

about 26-31 AP detected with direct connection to amplifier (no cabling)

3.TP-LINK WN 722N (USB)

needs to be connected directly to an antenna, cabling between adapter and amplifier seems to affect how much APs is detected

recently bought an rp-sma to sma adapter for direct connection that is, no cabling, was able to pick up

about 15-18 AP detected with direct connection to amplifier (no cabling)

WITH CABLING between adapter and amp 2-3 AP dectected!

4. COMFAST (AR9271) USB DONGLE ( made in china?!)

my special buddy..better than all of the above...

excellent packet injector than all of the above!..

i am amazed how fast this adapter hops channel when using reaver without a channel option

picked up the same no. of AP as the awuso36nha and also connects well to APs that had week signals (as weak as -96dbm!)

Pulling off-topic again, for which I humbly apologise but I just have to know, what is the specific LNA you're using?

I've seen a number but consider them to be rather (ahem) expensive. How does yours handle the generated heat?

Pulling off-topic again, for which I humbly apologise but I just have to know, what is the specific LNA you're using?

I've seen a number but consider them to be rather (ahem) expensive. How does yours handle the generated heat?

I am currently using a 5w 37dBm indoor wifi amp. (no model/brand..took a chance in buying....manufactured in china..) noise level <=3dB (it's okay i guess)..purchase price US$60 (very cheap).decided to purchase this amp after my alfa 2W amplifier died after a couple of months when connected directly to the antenna outdoor (moderate weather conditions)....picks up more AP than previous 2W amp since it is 5W...this amp can boil a pot of water..... but it is screwed to my wall (in open air)....no problems with this amp since a year now.....if you purchase any do let me know how it works..i like trying new devices..lol....

Part of my question was what a reasonable price for a wifi LNA is since I consider them to be rather expensive. I don't think 4/5 watt is a hell of a lot (then again, when your transmission power is measured in milliWatt, maybe I'm just being prissy) and combine that with a product list price roughly 5 times the price of the simple wifi adapter you're trying to amplify...

A quick browse through AliExpress yielded these:

2 Watt for 19,04 euro

3 Watt for 29,95

8 Watt for 41 euro

I'm not planning on buying any of these until I get my shit in order again, but it's mighty tempting.

hello zezadas,

i checked out the link below of the netsys 9000wn

http://www.dx.com/p/netsys-9000wn-6800mw-802-11b-g-n-150mbps-usb-2-0-wireless-network-adapter-white-123377

according to the details (which i do not know if it is actually true because of all the misleading information on new wireless adapter these days) the adapter has a ralink 3070L chipset which works excellent with linux especially packet injection..it also appears that the adapter is for indoor purposes only since antenna is not detachable..if you like this device probably you can take the chance...if you want to purchase an adapter that is well tested by others..probably you can try one of the alfa wifi adapters with a ralink or atheros chipset...or you can try other adapters that are well tested in linux (hint: do some browsing on some well tested linux wireless adapters by other users.. :smile: )

• 3 weeks later...

I use the TP-LINK WN 722N (USB) -

Run on linux/kali like a charm - out of the box, plug n sniff.

this device is also compatible with my pwnie pad & apprently the wifi pineapple? yet to try it as i already have two wlans on it.. but three might be nice..

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, I'm a bit of a RF geek so I love layer 1 stuff. I'm going to list some lessons learned/commentary on some wifi cards and also give a few tips/tricks. All of this is relevant to kali...

Cards:

Alfas:

AWUS051NH "Gold" Alfa - 500 mw (27 db)
A/B/G/N MiMo RP-SMA. Ralink RT2770/2750. B/G operates via RP-SMA jack, A/N(5) operates via internal printed board. Do not expect proper results using 5ghz Yagi antenna with this product since you can't access the 5ghz input via the RP-SMA jack!!! Best Alfa card for receiving. I use this card 90% of the time.

AWUS036NHA "Black" Alfa - 2000 mw (33 db)
B/G/N MiMo RP-SMA. Atheros AR9271. Great injecting card due to wattage output. Highest wattage. Make sure to set your region to BO so you can push over 27 db output. This card is the best card to use if you're hunting off-band wifi; Atheros chips are the best at raw frequency input instead of channel # input.

AWUS036NH "Green" or "Teal" Alfa - 2000 mw (33 db)
B/G/N MiMo RP-SMA. Ralink RT3070. Basically a second option for a 2 watt card. I prefer the "Black" card but I'll use this one of the device doesn't play well with the Atheros. Doesn't do raw frequency input as well as the "Black" card.

AWUS036H "Silver" Alfa - 1000 mw (30 db)

B/G/N RP-SMA. Ralink RT8187L. Ushered in the Alfa products. No longer the "only card supported". It should be noted that USB-OTG over android tablets currently only support this card (although I'm sure that'll change soon) so I keep a few of these around. Also cheap at only $20 bucks from retailers.

Ubiquity:

Expensive, overpriced, overhyped. The "Gold" Alfa has consistently outproduced the SR71s (PCMCIA, PC-Express, USB, etc) in collection, sensitivity, injection, support, etc. The tiny u.fl antenna ports suck and have to be taped down on the SR71 and like products.

That being said, whenever I replace a PC-Express WiFi card in a laptop, I use an Ubiquity product.

Rosewill (What?!?!):

RNX-N600UBE (20db???)

A/B/G/N SMAx2. Ralink 3572/5572 (v1/v2). Best card for receiving - hands down! I'm not sure which jack does B/G and which does A/N. If you're not injecting, use this card!!! Wattage is a little low but injects just fine with appropriate directionals. It also doesn't look like an Alfa/SR71 so you're not automagically labeled a 'hacker' around tech-literate people. Pretty sure this is the only article on the public internet that mentions this card as good at WiFi stuff.

Other notes:

USB 2.0 provides 5 volts at .500 amps so the maximum theoretical TX power of a USB based card is 2500 mw. Of course you have to run the overhead so it'll be less so the 2 watt Alfas are about the hottest cards you can get TX wise. So that 6000 mw USB card on chinabay might be a little bit of an stretch!!!

If you don't own a directional antenna and you're into wifi, you're wrong. Also, creative use of tinfoil (besides making hats) can greatly enhance your collection (by reducing unwanted collection on the same channels)

Use wireshark to look at datarates of collected packets when 'honing' in on a client or AP. You may see plenty of 1 rate broadcasts but do you actually see data packets at 11 rate or 54 rate? Are there lots of retransmits (flooded environment)? Do you get plenty of target traffic but the ammount of target traffic compared to total traffic in the area on the channel is very small (block out environmental traffic/noise with directionals, a new position, tinfoil...)?

Just wanted to throw out some thoughts/experience/tips!

V/r

dBz

Edited by dBz