The ONLY thing I don't like about Kali.

TN.Frank

It's a HUGE Op System. With all my little extras installed it's taking up over 13GB of my limited 32GB of SSD space. Point Linux 2.3 and SolydX only used up around 5GB after I installed all my extra stuff like Clementine, Clam, LibreOffice, Cheese, ect.

I guess my SSD will be ok as long as there's more then half of it free but dang, I wish there was a way to uninstall some of the stuff I'll never use without fear of borking my system.

Still, I guess in the end it's worth it to get a Distro that works like you want it to work and does things the way they're suppose to be done.

Couldn't run Kino under SolydX and even OpenShot crashed all the time. Gnome Disk Utility looks strange under SolydX too.

Things look and work like I expect them to under Kali so I guess I'm just stuck with 13+GB's of SSD space taken up to get what I need. Of course someone who uses Windows would think I'm nuts since it takes up a whole lot more space and needs a lot more RAM to run right but still, in the Linux World Kali is kind of a Hog. LOL.

post-45099-0-85618300-1396541634_thumb.j

Main question for me is what you want to do with this device that requires more than 20gb. It's only too big when the remainder proves to be insufficient.

Main question for me is what you want to do with this device that requires more than 20gb. It's only too big when the remainder proves to be insufficient.

Nothing really. I don't store any pics or movies on my laptop, I have external storage for stuff like that and I'm even storing my .iso's in the external storage so as long as the SSD is large enough to house the Op System and I can set aside 10% as Unallocated to keep it running quickly(look up why you need to do this) then it really doesn't matter. It's just something that I'm willing to live with since it gets me all that SDR/Gqrx goodness that I want/need to play with my SDR dongle and who knows, maybe I'll learn to use some of the other tools someday. I really would like to learn how to use WireShark or some of the MetaSploit stuff someday, if for no other reason just to have the knowledge. ;)

I heard fdisk is a great at freeing up space. Fast too. :rolleyes:

I was born at night but it wasn't last night, LOL Trying to get me to bork my system, well, not fallin' for it. ;)

Also, to remove the metapackages would it be a simple sudo apt-get remove or do I dare use purge to remove all of the metapackage? I'd be afraid that purge would also remove dependencies that other stuff might need.

Using dd for that is slow (at least specify the block size).

I'm also using /dev/null as destination device for backups. Didn't run out of space yet and it's stunningly fast. Then again it's not a backup until you succesfully manage to restore from it but that wasn't neccessary so far. I'm sure i'm in the clear.

I did have an epiphany when I wanted to play my playlist randomly so I catted /dev/random to /dev/dsp. Donno what track _that_ was, but the band was rubbish.

Using dd for that is slow (at least specify the block size).

I'm also using /dev/null as destination device for backups. Didn't run out of space yet and it's stunningly fast. Then again it's not a backup until you succesfully manage to restore from it but that wasn't neccessary so far. I'm sure i'm in the clear.

I did have an epiphany when I wanted to play my playlist randomly so I catted /dev/random to /dev/dsp. Donno what track _that_ was, but the band was rubbish.

hahahahahahahahaha!!

• 3 weeks later...

It's a HUGE Op System. With all my little extras installed it's taking up over 13GB of my limited 32GB of SSD space. Point Linux 2.3 and SolydX only used up around 5GB after I installed all my extra stuff like Clementine, Clam, LibreOffice, Cheese, ect.

Frank, how do you compare SolydX to Point Linux 2.3?? I've read great things about SolydX & SolydK but I kinda like MATE a little bit more than Xfce.