Cain on usb [How To]

Guest K1u

I saw a topic a little while back where some one was asking if this is possible well i recently bought a 1gb flash drive and tried this its very simple,

copy the Cain folder from program files into the flash and then copy winPcap into the Cain folder then simply copy Packet.dll and wanpacket.dll into the cain folder do a quick search for it (its in system32) and thats pretty much it.

just wanted to make sure, have you actually done this and taken it to different computers to make sure that it works

i wanted to confirm that winpcap in fact works and that it doesn't require installation. Also, is there some functionality that is unavailable if you use it on a computer with limited functionality such as one on which you are only guest or a limited user.

just wanted to make sure, have you actually done this and taken it to different computers to make sure that it works

i wanted to confirm that winpcap in fact works and that it doesn't require installation. Also, is there some functionality that is unavailable if you use it on a computer with limited functionality such as one on which you are only guest or a limited user.

Yes i have tried it on different pcs i have tried it on limited users but not on a guest account (ill do it later it probbly will work)

• 2 months later...
I saw a topic a little while back where some one was asking if this is possible well i recently bought a 1gb flash drive and tried this its very simple,

copy the Cain folder from program files into the flash and then copy winPcap into the Cain folder then simply copy Packet.dll and wanpacket.dll into the cain folder do a quick search for it (its in system32) and thats pretty much it.

errr i didnt have those dll files ....

just dled em from dll-files.com hope they're right ...

guessnot.png

i guess not , can anyone send me teh legit one ?

• 2 weeks later...

This works with no problems, but are you doing this just to have it with you on the go, or for a hack? If it is used as a hack to get info from other computers, you will notice(if they have a good firewall or anti-virus running) that as soon as you try to run cain, it asks to install a new device driver(because of winPcap tied to cain.exe) and will alert most anti-virus software. If they have none running and they have "Shell Hardware Detection" service on, then you should be in the clear.

Also, be sure to delete your tracks from the event viewer under the "system" section and any logs that may have been written to the anti-virus section. To view these logs, type "eventvwr.msc" from a startrun command prompt on WinXP. I assume the same for 2000 and Server2003, but I do not run these systems so I do not know if that would be a true statement.

I see entries for the following:

"The Network Monitor Driver service was successfully sent a start control.

and

"The NetGroup Packet Filter Driver service was successfully sent a start control."