Arduino - Pineapple: Control antenna

Sailor

Another experiment with connecting an Arduino to a Pineapple. The same will probably be possible by using the GPIO pins but I used serial.

In this project I have connected my antenna to a directional Alfa antenna. I mounted the antenna to a servo so I can rotate the antenna just by sending some commands to the Pineapple.

For now I used a bash script to send the commands to the serial port, but it is perfectly possible to make an infusion for this. The only command that needs to be send to the Arduino is the number of degrees and the antenna will rotate to this angle.

Watch the video here: https://vimeo.com/87356058

post-44836-0-26259600-1393596476_thumb.j

Wiring scheme:

post-44836-0-63215100-1393760730_thumb.j

Edited by Sailor

now you just have to make it so it will move on its own to get the strongest signal.. maybe have 2 alfa's for this system.. one that locks on and stays with the signal, while the other constantly looks for new ones.. Kind of like an attack radar system. it would be cool if you could have some figurines at the bottom, and when the one antenna locked on you could make the eye's turn on ( with led's or something)..haha, talk about the scare factor for strangers.

now you just have to make it so it will move on its own to get the strongest signal.. maybe have 2 alfa's for this system.. one that locks on and stays with the signal, while the other constantly looks for new ones.. Kind of like an attack radar system. it would be cool if you could have some figurines at the bottom, and when the one antenna locked on you could make the eye's turn on ( with led's or something)..haha, talk about the scare factor for strangers.

LOL, that is an interesting idea, should definitely be possible and is pretty simple by parsing for instance:

iwconfig wlan0 | grep -i Signal

and use the Arduino to rotate back and forth until the strongest signal is found

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Im getting an arduino board to play around with. What board are you using?

It would be sweet if you could have this dropped by a UAV , it would look for the signals and show you, then you could have it rotate automatically to get that strongest signal. After you or it did its thing ( that auto attack :) ) you could fly by and pick it back up.. Thats my plan anyways.

Hey Im getting an arduino board to play around with. What board are you using?

It is a regular Arduino Uno R3 but it can easily done with other boards as well (Raspi, Beaglebone or Arduino clones).

Edited by Sailor