solar powered pineapple project

kerpap

So, I like the Idea of roof top deployment. I also like the idea of a solar powered deployment.

I am working on a project that will incorporate a solar cell and a pineapple juice battery pack.

right now what I have made is a simple solar cell pineapple power supply shown below.

I am in the works of prototyping a light sensor to switch over to the power pack when there is not enough sunlight.

either that or just a transistor that will kick over to the power pack once the solar cell no longer produces enough juice.

more to come! I will keep you guys posted.

pn1.jpg

so far its a basic solar cell 5V 1400ma and the little DC plug. I got them at an electronics store.

im sure Marvac or Radio shack has them. Fry's anywhere that sells componants.

you can also most likely order online. the solar cell cost $30.

Just be careful with batteries and solar power.

I asked in a different thread how tolerant the Wifi Pineapple Mk5 is of over voltage and it seems from replies that it doesn't like much more than 12V.

The float voltage of a 12V lead acid battery (incl. gel/SLA) is ~13.8V. A solar panel suited to charging a 12V battery will produce voltages far in excess of 12V... never hook one of these up to the MK5 without a regualtor of some kind. A good solar regulator for a 12V battery will keep the battery at around 13.8V when the sun is shining.

It would be prudent to measure the open circuit voltage with a multimeter when exposed to full sunlight to make sure that it isn't allowing a higher voltage through to the Mk5.

Lunokhod

Just be careful with batteries and solar power.

I asked in a different thread how tolerant the Wifi Pineapple Mk5 is of over voltage and it seems from replies that it doesn't like much more than 12V.

The float voltage of a 12V lead acid battery (incl. gel/SLA) is ~13.8V. A solar panel suited to charging a 12V battery will produce voltages far in excess of 12V... never hook one of these up to the MK5 without a regualtor of some kind. A good solar regulator for a 12V battery will keep the battery at around 13.8V when the sun is shining.

It would be prudent to measure the open circuit voltage with a multimeter when exposed to full sunlight to make sure that it isn't allowing a higher voltage through to the Mk5.

Lunokhod

agreed, I would put a rechargeable battery pack between the solar panel & the pineapple, using the panel to charge the battery and power the pineapple with battery pack.

I am thinking of a 9v battery and a solar cell to charge it.

so

2 solar cells total. during the day the pineapple will run off the solar cell while the 9v gets charged then at night the 9v will supply power to the pineapple.

so this should be an interesting project. I am not sure how I am going to do this so we'll see

ok thanks!! I will let you know what came from the readings.

quick question: how much time do I need to leave the panel under the sun before starting to take readings on the voltage, since I dont have a private place with direct sunlight and I will have to go to the street to make the measurement.

Edited by unideb50

• 8 months later...

So, I like the Idea of roof top deployment. I also like the idea of a solar powered deployment.

I am working on a project that will incorporate a solar cell and a pineapple juice battery pack.

right now what I have made is a simple solar cell pineapple power supply shown below.

I am in the works of prototyping a light sensor to switch over to the power pack when there is not enough sunlight.

either that or just a transistor that will kick over to the power pack once the solar cell no longer produces enough juice.

pn1.jpg

Sounds very exciting.. I have never heard about such a project it looks very nice to me...It seems very practical and effective too.

I am working on a project that will incorporate a solar cell using solar energy and a pineapple juice battery pack.

Sounds very exciting.. I have never heard about such a project it looks very nice to me...It seems very practical and effective too.

Definitely I will be very careful.

Hi all, new owner here. First off, amazing service! Never had a better international delivery! So props to the hak5 team.

Now.. I threw this together last night your looking at a 5 watt panel on a 6.5ah sealed lead acid under the hot Australian sun. She's got a 8amp charge controller I had lying around with a 12v vreg keeping it at a stable 12.1 volt in the sun. I understand the pineapple has a vreg also so this should stabilise things, the switch is detachable or can become a multitap if you wish, I need to rewire the panel to be disconnectable, this I'll do once I have one of those rugged cases. By the way this fits perfectly on top :) . Now if anyone could point me a link where I can learn how to set the dips etc to auto run pine ap for war walking or something I'd appreciate it I'm still very new to linux despite exposure for years.

Thanks to the op for all the inspiration and to all of you that commented so I could arrive at this :)

post-48743-0-88427700-1413443293_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...

its maybe a bit of a late post:

http://www.mini-box.com/DCDC-USB?sc=8&category=981

ITs a DC-DC psu. you can set the output and it can take a wide input range: 6V-34V

Or you could use the OpenUPS2. Wich has a few batery's on it. but has a output of 12-24V while the other can have lower output

http://www.mini-box.com/OpenUPS2?sc=8&category=981

Im using a different version to run a small pc for fieldday events from battery / group power ( amature license )

Edited by GuardMoony