Unable to connect to 172.16.42.1:1471

haknakpdywak

I have just gone through the setup for a new Pineapple, the flash went smoothly and I'm able to ping it, but it is unable to connect to the 172.16.42.1:1471 server. I've tried configuring everything manually as outlined in the manual as well as trying to set it to automatic ip designation. I have tried it on two machines running windows 7 and 8. A few sites that check if webpage are up say that the page is down. Firefox says: The connection has timed out The server at 172.16.42.1 is taking too long to respond" or "Unable to connect Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 172.16.42.1:1471". Chromes response: "Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to 172.16.42.1:1741". Could it be a issue with the server?

Edited by haknakpdywak

Yes it connects to 172.16.42.1 through ping. I can't connect to the wifi interface, if you mean the one that's suppose to appear after signing in to 172.16.42.1:1741 in a browser.

Just a update: The amber "Searching for upgrade files." indicator has started. Would flashing again from a downloaded link, not from the 2G SD card, fix a bug?

Edited by haknakpdywak
  • Like 1

The pineapple status lights from boot should show green orange and red and then just green and blue will flash for a min "checking for firmware" then all lights will come on. If receiving successful replies with ping to 172.16.42.42 and replies from 172.16.42.1 I would say that your interfaces are correctly configured but your internet sharing is not. Open cmd with admin privileges type ncpa.cpl check your internet facing interface has sharing configured and is allowing the pineapple interface to share internet connections. if so and is all correct but you still can't connect do the following in cmd with admin priv type ipconfig/flushdns then ipconfig/release then netsh interface ipv4 reset. Reboot open cmd again with admin priv type netsh interface show interface to see your interfaces now to configure them for your internet facing adapter type netsh interface ipv4 set address name="your internet facing interface" source=dhcp then type in netsh interface ipv4 set address name="your pineapple interface" source=static address=172.16.42.42 mask=255.255.255.0 Now set DNS netsh interface ipv4 set dns name="your pineapple interface" source=static address=8.8.8.8 primary now type in ncpa.cpl to bring up network connections and configure sharing on your internet facing interface right click the interface select properties select the sharing tab, tick top left checkbox and select your pineapple facing interface where it says home networking connection. Click ok. If you get any pop up window saying that the pineapple interface ip address will be changed. In cmd type ipconfig/all to see your ip addresses for the interfaces and reconfigure to the correct config. make sure they are correct. The internet facing interface is using dhcp and your pineapple interface is static and is using the correct static IP address 172.16.42.42 mask 255.255.255.0 and DNS 8.8.8.8 you should be able to connect now. That should do it. You could do it all through network connections using GUI if you wish.

Edited by Elliot#

Thank you for a detailed response. Everything went smoothly and is now successfully configured to 172.16.42.42, 255.255.255.0, and 8.8.8.8. It is still unable to connect but there's no reason to believe it has to do with the ip configurations. After following some advice to reset the pineapple to factory with the DIP switches the SD card is now blank (the amber light blinking is indicating that); so now I'm trying to figure out how to re-install the software.

I'll let you know how that configuration went once it's running again.

Edited by haknakpdywak

Download Win scp so you can ssh into your pineapple download the new firmware from here

https://wifipineapple.com/?downloads

transfer the firmware to your tmp directory if md5 matches and is good then use a terminal emulator like putty and connect to pineapple using ssh and type in sysupgrade -n -v /tmp/name of file.bin

It will now start to flash your sd card with the new firmware.

visit this link below it will tell you all you need to know about flashing your pineapple.

https://wifipineapple.com/?flashing

Edited by Elliot#

There was no tmp file so I created one inside root. There were no other files in it but apparently the SD is full.

"scp:/root/tmp/upgrade.bin: No space left on device"

9,864 KiB out of 12,032 KiB was copied before the error message.

Edited by haknakpdywak

Success! Creating that temp file was a mistake which resulted in the error message; tmp was found in root after clicking the back folder.

The whole factory reboot ended up being redundant because the problem was in entering 172.16.42.1/255.255.0.0/8.8.8.8 instead of 172.16.42.42/255.255.255.0/8.8.8.8.

Thanks everyone.

• Irukandji locked and unlocked this topic
  • 9 months later...