Recommended 21 Mbps (HSPA+) 3G dongle?

ocn

Hi there,

I've been searching around the forum but can't find any definitive information..

I saw there are two wiki pages dedicated to this, but they don't contain information yet:

http://wiki.wifipineapple.com/index.php/Modems

http://wiki.wifipineapple.com/index.php/Compatible_Modems

Can anyone recommend any 21 Mbps (HSPA+) 3G dongle that works out of the box with the WiFi Pineapple? Or with a readily available script? :)

Preferably one that allows an external antenna to be attached to it.

Thanks a bunch in advance,

ocn^

Edited by ocn

i use this one tmobile 3g laptop stick and its ok i guess. bought it at walmart. i dont know if i would reccomend it , but it does work. but i dont want to say anything too bad about it because i may just live in a shitty signal reception area. i got this other one the other day though, an at&t 3g/4g prepaid usb laptop stick , nut i haven't gotten it activated yet sadly. I've just been too busy. I think i will try it here in a few hours. I will be sure and post my results homie.

i received my dongle but i can't post about how it works. I was pulling my hair out trying to get it to connect for hours last night then thought to test it on my mac, and I get a no sim card inserted error, so apparently the guy at t-mobile didn't activate my sim card or device is jacked. So ill make a trip in tomorrow and hopefully get it running.

I'm checking out freedompop.com this morning. They ride on the Sprint network. Basic plan is 500MB for free per month, .02/MB after.

It can get expensive at $20/GB after your free 500MB.

They have other plans that are really cheap.

I would want to figure out a way to block youtube or cap a client though.

Can anyone recommend any 21 Mbps (HSPA+) 3G dongle that works out of the box with the WiFi Pineapple? Or with a readily available script? :)

Preferably one that allows an external antenna to be attached to it.

Thanks a bunch in advance,

ocn^

As I understood the modems mentioned in this URL are considered to be supported by the Pineapple:

http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/device_reference.txt

i received my dongle but i can't post about how it works. I was pulling my hair out trying to get it to connect for hours last night then thought to test it on my mac, and I get a no sim card inserted error, so apparently the guy at t-mobile didn't activate my sim card or device is jacked. So ill make a trip in tomorrow and hopefully get it running.

went to t-mobile and got a replacement sim and still no luck. "no sim card" error. t-mobile tried to run it on their machine and same thing, so apparently defective device. back to the shopping board.

• 2 weeks later...

Would this one work? I think this is an older model, but if I'm going to get one I want it to be 4g also.

T-Mobile ZTE MF691 Rocket 3G 4G WEBCONNECT USB LAPTOP STICK MODEM AIRCARD HSDPA+

They are $14.95 on ebay right now, or even less.........I ordered one, hopefully it will work.

If not when someone can get a 4g dongle working with it, hopefully they will let us know what to actually get.

From the manual..

"The WiFI Pineapple provides out-of-the-box support for over 300 3G and 4G USB mobile broadband modems"

So there is a pretty good chance that whatever you buy should work. Although it would be nice to have the "over 300" list to narrow down the search.

• 1 month later...

I' using a Huawei HiLink E303s, but all from the 'HiLink' series will do.

They come up as eth1 so you don't need do mess around with the config

1. lookup you ip via ifconfig

2. got to the IP of the gateway

3. get a Router'like webinterface

4. Put in all the config

6. profit