Unstable TX power on AR9331

0jf5

Here's an update to my thread here https://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/31047-hostapd-deauthenticated-due-to-inactivity-timer-deauthremove/

This appears to be a hardware issue (which may be causing the deauth problem) as tx power is all over the place. Those readings are from 30ft away from the pineapple. At a minimum it should be -60dBm and not have a 20+/-dBm range w/ gaps in signal. See attached pics and note the pattern.

For reference the other AP's in the pics are the neighbors.... >=200ft from me.

Additionally, it's my understanding that the blue LED should light up when traffic is passed over the AR9331. Mine never does.

Settings:

root@Pineapple:~# cat /etc/config/system 

config system
	option hostname 'Pineapple'
	option timezone 'GMT6'

config timeserver 'ntp'
	list server '0.openwrt.pool.ntp.org'
	list server '1.openwrt.pool.ntp.org'
	list server '2.openwrt.pool.ntp.org'
	list server '3.openwrt.pool.ntp.org'
	option enable_server '0'

config led
	option name 'ethernet'
	option sysfs 'mk5:amber:lan'
	option trigger 'netdev'
	option dev 'eth0'
	option mode 'link tx rx'

config led
	option name 'wlan0'
	option sysfs 'mk5:blue:wlan0'
	option trigger 'netdev'
	option dev 'wlan0'
	option mode 'link tx rx'

config led
	option name 'wlan1'
	option sysfs 'mk5:red:wlan1'
	option trigger 'netdev'
	option dev 'wlan1'
	option mode 'link tx rx'

I sent in a request for an exchange on 11/24 and haven't heard anything back yet.

post-45780-0-18930000-1385793322_thumb.p

post-45780-0-90538500-1385793322_thumb.p

Edited by 0jf5

Here's an update to my thread here https://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/31047-hostapd-deauthenticated-due-to-inactivity-timer-deauthremove/

This appears to be a hardware issue (which may be causing the deauth problem) as tx power is all over the place. Those readings are from 30ft away from the pineapple. At a minimum it should be -60dBm and not have a 20+/-dBm range w/ gaps in signal. See attached pics and note the pattern.

Additionally, it's my understanding that the blue LED should light up when traffic is passed over the AR9331. Mine never does.

Settings:

config system
	option timezone 'GMT6'

config timeserver 'ntp'
	option enable_server '0'

config led
	option name 'ethernet'
	option trigger 'netdev'
	option dev 'eth0'
	option mode 'link tx rx'

config led
	option name 'wlan0'
	option trigger 'netdev'
	option dev 'wlan0'
	option mode 'link tx rx'

config led
	option name 'wlan1'
	option trigger 'netdev'
	option dev 'wlan1'
	option mode 'link tx rx'

I sent in a request for an exchange on 11/24 and haven't heard anything back yet.

How are you powering your Pineapple?

Also, check antenna connections and try switching the antennas. Then, test again.

Edited by chriswhat

Settings:

config system
	option timezone 'GMT6'

config timeserver 'ntp'
	option enable_server '0'

config led
	option name 'ethernet'
	option trigger 'netdev'
	option dev 'eth0'
	option mode 'link tx rx'

config led
	option name 'wlan0'
	option trigger 'netdev'
	option dev 'wlan0'
	option mode 'link tx rx'

config led
	option name 'wlan1'
	option trigger 'netdev'
	option dev 'wlan1'
	option mode 'link tx rx'

I dont believe this is a hardware issue. On every pineapple i have had the wifi behaves like this i think its from Jasager/Karma listening to probes and rebroadcasting them. Maybe seb can confirm this.

Edited by mreidiv

That would strike me as odd as karma is not running.

Monitoring signal while not being connected yields relatively normal TX however -5X dBm is good but still weak for a client that is now 36 inches from the AP.

10da7wy.png

Once connected TX improves to -4dBm (excellent) and oscillates in an aprox 50dBm range. Karma still off, pineapple is just doing ICS. That's an incredibly unstable TX range.

vryn21.png

When karma is on, TX jumps to an expected -5dBm (it should be this good all the time from this location) k19bg8.jpg

When a client connects, TX drops again

303kzzm.jpg

As I mentioned in the other thread, when a client is connected non karma and begins a file transfer >=1MB/sec the client gets booted and pineapple reports the deauth do to inactivity. The client can then not connect unless the pineapple is rebooted (see this: https://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/31047-hostapd-deauthenticated-due-to-inactivity-timer-deauthremove/?p=233702 ). At no point does the blue LED flash indicating traffic on wlan0 regardless if Karma is on or off, it never happens.

Edited by 0jf5

What software/hardware are y'all using to get these measurements?

I've used 5 so far, kismet, tcpdump, wifi analyzer on android, airodump-ng and LinSSID, all show the same thing. FYI kismet says their signal meter isn't acurate at all, which is why I used 4 more on 3 clients.

I have a Fluke OptiView XG at work but at this point it's going to confirm what the others already have.

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Fluke-OptiView-XG-Wireless-Analysis-Tablet-with-AirMagnet-WiFi-Analyzer-Sp/3023709.aspx

The fluke is nice, we have a larger procurve wireless WAN that we use it to troubleshoot with.

Even though the ar9331 is consumer grade hardware, it still should hold fairly stable tx until total clients reaches X and the cpu hangs. I bought an alfa ap121u (same box the mk4 runs on) which should be here w/in the week to compare and use instead of the mk5

Edited by 0jf5

Fluke makes some kick-ace instruments but ya definantly pay for the quality. I have been wondering why Site Survey says that the quality of my modem is about 60% when it is sitting no more than 5 feet from it. Then again, maybe quality is wholly different than signal strength. ::shrugs:: I definantly have more reading to do.

Addendum: ::just read the price tag on the Fluke OptiView XG and fainted dead away::

Edited by King Crimson