How to reset Mark V to system defaults?

youan

I've somehow forgot my login password that is why I need to reset it to system defaults.

I flipped the second and third switches down but it didn't do anything. When I type in the IP address to get to the interface, it still prompts me for a password.

I have tried flipping the switches down with pineapple on and off. Please help.

Did you reboot with the switches set? I couldn't tell from your wording. You should set the switches down then plugin and wait for the lights to finish doing their thing. Switch states are only read at boot. If you did that and it failed for some reason you could reflash https://wifipineapple.com/?flashing

But the dip reset should work

I've somehow forgot my login password that is why I need to reset it to system defaults.

I flipped the second and third switches down but it didn't do anything. When I type in the IP address to get to the interface, it still prompts me for a password.

I have tried flipping the switches down with pineapple on and off. Please help.

You can use the DIP switches to perform a factory reset but it sounds like you may be using the wrong switches or not using the correct procedure. Try this:

NOTE: With the switches facing you, they are ordered 1 - 5 from left to right.

1) Power off your Pineapple.

2) Place your DIP switches in the following sequence:

Switch 1 - UP

Switch 2 - DOWN

Switch 3 - DOWN

Switch 4 - UP

Switch 5 - UP

3) Power on your Pineapple

4) Wait 5 minutes just to be safe and power off again

5) Place all of your switches back in the up position again and power on.

You should be good to go. Just connect via ethernet or Wifi, login to the web interface, and create a new password.

Edited by chriswhat

• 3 months later...

Hi guys, just received my Pineapple today and this topic is the closest one matching my problems.

Full disclosure: I was setting up my Pineapple for the first time when I noticed that my university's WiFi connection was dropping sporadically. The setup claimed to have finished, and I was able to hit "Continue" to move on. However, login attempts did not work; I was told my password was incorrect. I typed in my password very carefully (and obviously twice) but.. well, no luck! I theorize that something may have happened during setup finalizing and the WiFi going up and down. At this point I did not have time to try again, so I packed everything up and went to class.

Fast forward to now. I attempted the accepted answer in this thread, but I still cannot connect to http://172.16.42.1:1471 My Pineapple is giving me the red, blue and amber blinking pattern indicating that firmware flash was successful, and yet no connection. Is there a step I am missing? I am aware that this is technically not the "first boot", but after a factory reset does one follow the first boot instructions included with the Pineapple?

Apologies for the triple post, not sure what the usual protocol is around here.

So I finally connected to 172.16.42.1; I connected to it via WiFi. I think my confusion stemmed from successfully connecting via Ethernet the first time and not once thereafter. The wiki post detailing the factory reset process mentions that the Pineapple will reboot after settings are restored, and this is incorrect. The Pineapple will flash the red/blue/amber pattern at which point it is presumably safe to power off and reset the mode selection switches to all up.

My password involved one or more parenthesis, and I see in the other thread that this is being addressed already. So, I'd just like to say thank you for having such an active community, and apologize for not reading a bit deeper first. :)

Apologies for the triple post, not sure what the usual protocol is around here.

So I finally connected to 172.16.42.1; I connected to it via WiFi. I think my confusion stemmed from successfully connecting via Ethernet the first time and not once thereafter. The wiki post detailing the factory reset process mentions that the Pineapple will reboot after settings are restored, and this is incorrect. The Pineapple will flash the red/blue/amber pattern at which point it is presumably safe to power off and reset the mode selection switches to all up.

My password involved one or more parenthesis, and I see in the other thread that this is being addressed already. So, I'd just like to say thank you for having such an active community, and apologize for not reading a bit deeper first. :)

The pineapple does reboot. It's possible it got got stuck because of a bug in the password setter. We used or use a fifo queue to run the passwd command. This has now changes from version 1.1.0 onwards.