Pineapple Juice 8800

Lockon

Just received my unit. I see the red lights on both the AC charger and the battery itself but even after 6 hours, it doesn't appear to have charged at all. When I hit the battery status button, it all lights up (only when plugged into an AC plug) but as soon as I disconnect everything, there's no charge available on the battery.

Could this be a defective unit? If so what're the instructions to have it exchanged?

Ahem, is the light supposed to go Green when it is done charging? I have had it charging now for 8 hours... and it is still red, with power switch on.

I hit the indicator button while it is plugged in, and it is showing 1 Red and 2 Greens.

It also shows this many when I unplug the charger and press it.

?

I also have the 8800 and left it charging over night and it still doesn't power my pineapple. So I open the pineapple juice up and found out that the switch was press in so hard that it tore all the contacts off the board. Which means no on/off switch. Got out the soldering iron and re-solder the switch to the contacts still left and now it works. The battery level lights doesn't seem to light up. If i press it during charging all would light up.

So... In the mean time, I found this to work.

I know a surplus kinda store down the street that has a stack of them for $4.95 a piece.

Apparently they were originally intended for a Buzz Lightyear Store Display!

Blarg. (12v - 2A)

20131106_231051_LLS-1.jpg

Update: Ran this from Friday to Sunday night, and just unplugged it now while it was still going strong. Guess I will probably grab a few more of these just for backup use...

Edited by UltimatePeter

I also have the 8800. I plugged it in yesterday at 230pm. I checked it at 1030 pm and was not fully charged yet according the led indicators. I left it over night and it showed full charge according to the leds on the battery around 9am. Im just wondering the led on the charger was still red. Is this suppose to change to green when the charging cycle is over?

I also have a 6600, was plugged in for the first time for about 11 hours and did not get a full charge according to the charge indicator. I have the red and two green leds on but not the last green led. Wondering if the first charge takes much longer or if the instructions are not accurate and charges take longer in general or if the led is bad..... Will try and test load times and drain and charge to see what happens.

I also have a 6600, was plugged in for the first time for about 11 hours and did not get a full charge according to the charge indicator. I have the red and two green leds on but not the last green led. Wondering if the first charge takes much longer or if the instructions are not accurate and charges take longer in general or if the led is bad..... Will try and test load times and drain and charge to see what happens.

Curious about the same thing.

I had it charged to 1 red, 2 greens, 1 unlit... After like 9 or 10 hours...

I went again and charged the pack over night (while I had not used it yet).

Now, finally it is showing all lights full on the pack, but still no green light on charger... Is it good to go? Or does the charger know that it is not charged to where it should be.

Edited by UltimatePeter

update: left the 6600 on the charger again overnight. the third green finally lights up, however when taken off the charger, literally the second it is off the charger the third green is no longer on.... i am beginning to think that the indicator is defective in some of these.. ... or it takes a lot longer than nine hours to charge. i will be able to test load times in the next few days.

When I got my 6600 it had 3 LEDs lit. Plugged it in overnight before using it, charger still had the red LED lit, but I had all 4 LEDs on the battery. I used it for probably about 2hrs yesterday for the first time, now I'm down to 3 LEDs. (that was with a 3rd wifi chipset plugged in)

Was looking around for 12v battery packs on Amazon, came across this:

http://www.amazon.com/3800mA-5600mAh-Portable-Battery-charger/dp/B0063EYY5Y/ref=sr_1_4?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1384185172&sr=1-4&keywords=12v+battery+pack

Look familiar? Gets decent reviews...

I came really close to sending the unit back in when I couldn't help staring at the screws on the unit so I broke down and opened it up. I noticed that the unit's very cheaply made, most of the connections were poorly soldered, some were mashed in there putting tension/pressure on sensitive areas.

After going in and correcting the problems, the unit's working properly. I don't recommend just anyone doing what I did since we're talking about a lithium ion battery pack, it's better to send it back but I'm a little further out than most so my impatience got the best of me.

I also recently purchased the following http://www.amazon.com/14400mAh-Multi-Voltage-Portable-External-adapters/dp/B005NGLTZQ/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1384257965&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=anker+usb+battery+14000 and love it. 14,400 mAH, 5/9/12v modes, 2A output on the USB ports, with a cable accessory kit that's compatible with the Pineapple.

Edited by Lockon

I guess the 50 bucks I spent on the travel kit upgrade was mostly for the carry bag. :D My battery works fine and deploying is easy-peasy. Been having a blast and very satisfied with the purchase.

I came really close to sending the unit back in when I couldn't help staring at the screws on the unit so I broke down and opened it up. I noticed that the unit's very cheaply made, most of the connections were poorly soldered, some were mashed in there putting tension/pressure on sensitive areas.

After going in and correcting the problems, the unit's working properly. I don't recommend just anyone doing what I did since we're talking about a lithium ion battery pack, it's better to send it back but I'm a little further out than most so my impatience got the best of me.

I also recently purchased the following http://www.amazon.com/14400mAh-Multi-Voltage-Portable-External-adapters/dp/B005NGLTZQ/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1384257965&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=anker+usb+battery+14000 and love it. 14,400 mAH, 5/9/12v modes, 2A output on the USB ports, with a cable accessory kit that's compatible with the Pineapple.

It would seem this main switch being pushed in issue is common.

I had the exact same issue.

Opened up the unit, there was more than enough solder to just push the switch in, then re-solder, and now it works a treat.

Obviously doing this would probably void the warranty or what have you, but for me to send this back to the US from Australia and get another replacement, it all seems too much trouble haha!

Curious about the same thing.

I had it charged to 1 red, 2 greens, 1 unlit... After like 9 or 10 hours...

I went again and charged the pack over night (while I had not used it yet).

Now, finally it is showing all lights full on the pack, but still no green light on charger... Is it good to go? Or does the charger know that it is not charged to where it should be.

Interesting that you say that Peter, I get the green light on the charger, but I'm still waiting on the third green light on the battery.

i have done some testing of the 6800.

firstly, the test.

i decide to take the simple rout, i set up two cron jobs, one to update a uptime log file every five minutes the other to calculate Pi to 1000 places every three minutes. i also left both radios on. wlan1 i connected to my home router the and wlan0 i left broadcasting as an open ap. i also set up a shell to a aws instance i own so i could reverse shell back in to check up on the logs. i ran this test a total of two times, with full charges in between. the first test i did in two stages as i need the mark V for some actual work. first stage it had a three hour run on the battery, the second stage netted nearly six more hours for a total of about nine hours of uptime. the second test i ran over night at last look it was over eight hours... however when i went to check up on it after the battery died, upon boot using the wall power the log was missing data. i know the log was being written to as i had used the log to check at the eight hour mark. not sure what happened here. both time the battery was charged to full with three solid green lights that stayed solid for a good few hours after usage started. both times it took over 12 hours to get a full charge. not sure if i have a bad unit, i am expecting to much and my usage testing is to high or a combination of both.

the boring stuff.

the script for Pi (found online)

#!/bin/bash
pi()
{
    export x=`echo "scale=$scale; 4 * a (1)" | bc -l`
    echo "$x"
}
if [ "$#" = "1" ]
then
    scale="$1"
    echo `time pi`
else
    echo "Usage: $0 #"
fi

the cron entry for generating the uptime log file

*/5 * * * * uptime >> sd/uplog.log

the cron entry for calling picalc (what i named the script)

*/3 * * * * picalc >> /dev/null

• 1 month later...

Until the Hakshop gets them in, looks like USLEDSupply sells the same batteries but with the USB open:

3800mAh ($35.00US)

http://www.usledsupply.com/shop/12v-battery-pack-12v-3800mah-5v-5600mah.html

6800mAh ($42.00US)

http://www.usledsupply.com/shop/12v-battery-pack-12v-6800mah-5v-9800mah.html

9800mAh ($72.00US)

http://www.usledsupply.com/shop/12v-battery-pack-12v-9800mah-5v-13000mah.html