ios 7 full restore without apple id password

ramscaz

Hey guys I work for a retail store, we sell phones and from time to time we get returns on them. Policy is to restore the phone before we do the return ( to ensure that the customers private information is not accessed), but an employee didn't do a full restore on the Iphone 5 black 16 GB Verizon with the new IOS 7 at the time of return, and we are trying to resell the phone as an open item. We have tried to restore the phone through the settings but it asks for the password for the apple id which we don't have since the customer is no longer in the store. We have tried different things. Did a normal hard reset by holding the sleep and home button and connecting to iTunes, which it does restore yet but doesn't wipe out the apple id. We still get the apple id on the Iphone 5 due to the find me app that protects your phone from theft. Is there any way to do a hard reset on the Iphone 5 with IOS 7 and do a full wipe without apple id password or am I asking for too much?

Put the iPhone into DFU mode (google is your friend), then open iTunes, it should tell you that you have an iPhone in Recovery/DFU mode, shift-click the Restore button and select the iOS 7 IPSW, then it should be happy days.

Agreed. Outside of that, you'd be looking at hacking the ipsw (you might as well find a jailbreak after going through that work)

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, im new and found this site while inquiring about this very issue. I have done a DFU restore. As soon as the phone restarts and is ready to be activated, iTunes says I need my apple Id and password in order to activate this phone. Im looking for a work around as I am in the same situation. I work for a wireless retail company and one of our business customers needs to wipe a phone completely in order for the phone to be activated for a new employee. Thanks a lot in advance to anyone that might have an idea of how to work around this.

Hey guys, im new and found this site while inquiring about this very issue. I have done a DFU restore. As soon as the phone restarts and is ready to be activated, iTunes says I need my apple Id and password in order to activate this phone. Im looking for a work around as I am in the same situation. I work for a wireless retail company and one of our business customers needs to wipe a phone completely in order for the phone to be activated for a new employee. Thanks a lot in advance to anyone that might have an idea of how to work around this.

You'll have to talk to apple about that. That's the whole point of the new system. To make stolen iPhones useless to the new "owner".

• 2 weeks later...

This type of issues happen one or another day but no need to get panic! You can easily recover data from inaccessible and formatted drives by using data recovery tools. I have perfect solution named as Hard Drive Data Recovery which is specially designed and developed by expert professionals to recover data from formatted hard drive within few minutes.

And thats relative to an iPhone user account recovery from a factory wipe?

As far as I know, after a wipe, you use iTunes to set it up like new out of the box but you need to use a firmware that restores it to original settings out of the box. Check the http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/Firmware page. I had to unbrick my nieces iPhone 3(I know, it was old, but was given to her by someone that her pre-paid sim worked in and not really the point...)

Anyway, she tried iTunes 11 to update it, and it locked the phone out so you couldn't even get it out of DFU or Restore mode, since it tried to put firmware on it that couldn't even fit on the space of the phone. I ended up in the end, having to find a copy of iTunes 10 and used another tool I forget the name of, I think called iReb, which lets you force compatible IPSW firmwares on them(which can be found on the link above) and resets the phone to working condition, then wiping it, but also putting it back like out of the box by using an older firmware, not the latest iOS 7. It had tools I think to let you set it up for any new account, but not sure if that will work with iOS 7 based phones, so I would try to downgrade it first using previous firmware for the same model phone which should run on it, create an account via iTunes, and then once created, update to iOS 7 update through iTunes AFTER getting the new account onto the phone, which might work. Either that, or take it to someplace like Verizon if you know anyone that works there and they should be able to do it. The Apple stores, are usually less than helpful for some reason. We took the same iPhone 3 to an Apple store, and they told us it was impossible to restore it, yet I managed to do it using an XP VM, iTunes 10 and iREB with firmware off http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/Firmware page and she had full funtionality of the phone. Only thing I did afterwards, was disable safari and told her never to go online, since there were so many hacks for it and no patches for that specific phone model since they discontinued updates for its firmware, she used it for talk, text, photos and music.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think I grabbed iTunes 10 off http://www.oldapps.com/itunes.php although, there are probably other sites that may have it as well.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys I work for a retail store, we sell phones and from time to time we get returns on them. Policy is to restore the phone before we do the return ( to ensure that the customers private information is not accessed), but an employee didn't do a full restore on the Iphone 5 black 16 GB Verizon with the new IOS 7 at the time of return, and we are trying to resell the phone as an open item. We have tried to restore the phone through the settings but it asks for the password for the apple id which we don't have since the customer is no longer in the store. We have tried different things. Did a normal hard reset by holding the sleep and home button and connecting to iTunes, which it does restore yet but doesn't wipe out the apple id. We still get the apple id on the Iphone 5 due to the find me app that protects your phone from theft. Is there any way to do a hard reset on the Iphone 5 with IOS 7 and do a full wipe without apple id password or am I asking for too much?

it doesnt matter what version of itunes you use, it doesnt matter how many times you try to update, restore, reset, wipe clean etc etc etc. youre not understanding that this information is not kept on the phone itself. find my iphone/ipad is an optional security feature in ios 7 that enables you to remotely locate the device send the device messages wipe it etc etc, it sounds like that is your issue, that or the customer didnt remove the device from their itunes account, it sounds like youve got linked itunes problem and everytime you try to activate the device it will promt you for the previeous owners itunes login and password. nothing you do to the phone will change this NOTHING, there are a couple of solutions number one yshould be easy for you if you are a retail store that sells iphones you can contact apple with the device information along with the slaes recept info. YOU HAVE TO HAVE SALES INFO or A SALESS RECEIPT. and apple will fix it for you, otherwise you it depends on what you want to do with the device, evais0n7 was released a few weeks ago for ios 7+ devices. if the devices is already activated, which it is probably not after all the restores and resets that you did, then you can use the phone without problems however itunes is going to give you problems. if you try to sync it or use it with that phone. you wont be able to jailbreak it unless its activated if you cant activate it with itunes or otherwise then ideviceactivate should be helpful. as well as the other tools in libimobiledevice suite.

basically you wont get anywhere with dfu restores, or custom ipsw's or updates in itunes, could you imagine how fucking retarded tha would be if apple had security feature that you could just wipe with couple of button presses and itunes?

Edited by vector

• 8 months later...

Maybe you have heard of DFU Mode (Development Firmware Upgrade) which actually means the mode of compulsively updating or degrading iPhone firmware. For instance, when you degrade iPhone firmware, if Error 1 or Error 6 happens, you need to make your iPhone enter the DFU Mode to degrade the firmware during the process of retrieving or degrading it.
Here I will talk about the way to enter and exit DFU Mode. Considering the possibility of data loss during this process, I also mention three easy and effective ways to retrieve those data by using iPhone Data Recovery.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe you have heard of DFU Mode (Development Firmware Upgrade) which actually means the mode of compulsively updating or degrading iPhone firmware. For instance, when you degrade iPhone firmware, if Error 1 or Error 6 happens, you need to make your iPhone enter the DFU Mode to degrade the firmware during the process of retrieving or degrading it.

Here I will talk about the way to enter and exit DFU Mode. Considering the possibility of data loss during this process, I also mention three easy and effective ways to retrieve those data by using iPhone Data Recovery.

Actually, the only way to downgrade any iDevice anymore is to still have the SHSH blobs from previous firmwares on your device, else you're sh** outta luck.

• 5 months later...

Actually, you can downgrade/fix/reinstall, if you have the CORRECT firmware, AND an older version of iTunes for the last available update to your phone, which there are sites that host both older iTunes and firmware for phones all the way back to the first iPhones. I had to do this for my neices phone which was semi-bricked because she used iTunes 11 to load an update on her iPhone 3.x which reauired an older iTunes and an older firmware. iTunes 11 loaded the latest IOS which was too large, and in doing so, caused it to constantly die and reboot in DFU mode until it was fed the correct firmware.

Firmware releases:

https://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/Firmware

iTunes:

https://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/ITunes

( For those with SHSH issues, read https://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/SHSH )

Edited by digip

While that might hold true to the iPhone 3, the iPhone 4S, which I have (and hate) will not downgrade.

Believe me, I've tried pretty much everything. I never thought I could hate anything more than IOS6 until they made IOS7. I figured I'd give it an honest chance, use it for a month or so to check. I was late to upgrade to begin with because they changed the theme and the icons were WAY ugly. Long story short: it sucked. So I tried to go back. NOT possible. Being the idiot that I am I didn't bother with a backup. The new IOS has some anti-theft feature crap in it that will only allow you to downgrade to a version you backed up previously *for that exact same phone*. Since I didn't have that, I couldn't downgrade.

On the bright side, it seems this year will be the year that work will give us a mobile phone budget (as opposed to a mandated device) so we can ditch these horrible, dinky-toy iTakeItUpThe S phones and get something that... you know... works.

While that might hold true to the iPhone 3, the iPhone 4S, which I have (and hate) will not downgrade.

Believe me, I've tried pretty much everything. I never thought I could hate anything more than IOS6 until they made IOS7. I figured I'd give it an honest chance, use it for a month or so to check. I was late to upgrade to begin with because they changed the theme and the icons were WAY ugly. Long story short: it sucked. So I tried to go back. NOT possible. Being the idiot that I am I didn't bother with a backup. The new IOS has some anti-theft feature crap in it that will only allow you to downgrade to a version you backed up previously *for that exact same phone*. Since I didn't have that, I couldn't downgrade.

On the bright side, it seems this year will be the year that work will give us a mobile phone budget (as opposed to a mandated device) so we can ditch these horrible, dinky-toy iTakeItUpThe S phones and get something that... you know... works.

Have you tried the SHSH hacks that give you signed copies of the IOS bypassing the nonce of latest signatures and using your HOSTS file to point to the downloads? Just curious since I haven't had to go that far to completely reset one yet but had no issues with resets if iPhones later than iPhone 5.1.

My niece had the iPhone 3g (I think ran up to IOS 4.x.x something) but also has an iPhone 5 with similar issues, only this update that locked her out of her own phone and would no longer accept her pass key. She did manage to get it working by resetting it, but not sure if my wife just reloaded from DFU mode or somehow factory reset it.

Either way, one of these methods should work if it's the signature not allowing you to roll back firmware:

https://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/SHSH

You may have to reload the existing version with the other signed firmware, then downgrade, or just completely Jailbreak with a custom ROM.

I did jailbreak it at one point, but the phone became horrendously unstable, system processes would run haywire causing the battery to drain without there being any active apps, and - and this was the clincher - I realized I'm running a banking app and a credit card app on there. Since I'm now effectively running code written by some jackoff that's supposed to, say, change the icon theme but which I suspect of causing my phone to misbehave and as such cannot trust, how can I possibly manage my finances on there with any confidence?

I personally don't use my phone for such things, but that isn't so much the point I was trying to get at. In putting open firmware on there that gets a device up and running from a failure or other such issues, then downgrading to older firmware, you may be able to put factory images on it from the iPhone wiki site once you get it jailbroken and running. The iPhone wiki has all the firmware releases on their site but as mentioned, signed versions may be a PITA to fix but shouldn't be impossible. I would think in putting even a hacked firmware from a different site on there that unlocked everything(although I can't actually confirm without comparing from Apple and iPhone wiki the MD5 hash of files being the same from their site being any safer) you should still be able to then rollback and wipe that firmware to where you want to be.

I would think as long as the iPhone wiki site has been around someone would have vetted the images by now if they were doing anything nasty though.

• 2 months later...

If Find My iPhone is set up on the device (Activation Lock is enabled), you must log into the iCloud account the device is associated with to disable it.

If you can provide proof of ownership and a good reason to Apple, they may or may not help you unlock the device.

• 2 weeks later...

Ran into a similar situation with a work phone and apple gave 2 options. Original bill of sale or it's a brick, even though the phone is a registered corporate device. Luckily we got the password for the apple ID.

If we always believe what apple says, there would be no jailbreaks or ways for tech companies to fix stuff for products people bring them. not saying certian IOS updates don't cause phones to crap out, but I've yet to see one that couldn't be fixed. I've only had to do a few and my wife has actually done more apple devices than I have, but all the tuts I've found online have worked, whether using redboot tools or the like or just loading dfu mode and firmware files from the iphone wiki. there are probably ways to otg boot the phones and wipe them as well, although I don't own an otg cable or know how you go about it, would make sense to recover data, forensics would have a means to access the devices.

• 1 year later...

If you got an iPhone or iPad from another user or if you are giving away your iDevice to someone else, it makes sense to delete your Apple ID associated with the iPhone/iPad completely. Erasing all content and resetting the iPhone is one way but here’s a complete method that lets you remove all traces of your Apple ID from your iPhone.

The Easy Method: the easiest way is to remove everything from your iDevice. To do this, all you have to do is go to Settings → General → Reset → Erase All Content & Settings. Then, Settings → General → Reset → Reset All Settings.

See also:
Erase all contents and settings on iphone
Delete everything from iPhone

• 10 months later...
On 6/27/2017 at 10:18 PM, Wanksferty said:

I am so sorry to hear that .but i have already succeed *link removed* ,i am not sure the reset program must  be good for you, but you can try if you are interested

You do realise that was posted almost 4 years ago..?

Edited by Mr-Protocol

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...