Photo
- - - - -

9dBi antenna Help

Antenna signal boost power help how to

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Scanner Martel

Scanner Martel
  • Active Members
  • Hak5 Fan +

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:51 PM

Hey all,

I got the 9 dBi pole antenna from the hak shop and my question is whether i need to do anything other than substitute the new antenna on a device. Specifically do i need to set power options to optimize signal etc? The reason I ask is that i dont notice a significant increase in the area that I can observe traffic say with an external wireless card in monitor mode or something.

Thanks,

-SM

#2 barry99705

barry99705
  • Active Members
  • Hak5 1337 Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:20 PM

No, should never really need to adjust the power settings, since that only changes the transmit power anyway.

Encryption is the chicken soup of security,
feel free to apply it if it makes you feel better because it’s not going to make things any worse,
but it may not make things any better either.  
---Peter Gutmann
1JRos2rbs9wKRBMchL9Ahw.png

#3 Scanner Martel

Scanner Martel
  • Active Members
  • Hak5 Fan +

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:29 AM

Awesome thanks, Any suggestions for a good subject of entry to start learning more about the need to know info about antennas? 

#4 barry99705

barry99705
  • Active Members
  • Hak5 1337 Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:24 PM

Awesome thanks, Any suggestions for a good subject of entry to start learning more about the need to know info about antennas? 

This should get you started.

http://www.dxzone.co.../Antennas/WiFi/

Any of the wireless books here won't hurt either.

2013-04-26%252017.53.52.jpg

Encryption is the chicken soup of security,
feel free to apply it if it makes you feel better because it’s not going to make things any worse,
but it may not make things any better either.  
---Peter Gutmann
1JRos2rbs9wKRBMchL9Ahw.png

#5 Scanner Martel

Scanner Martel
  • Active Members
  • Hak5 Fan +

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:12 PM

My my, what a wealth of information you have there. Much appreciated friend. I better get started.

#6 boob00

boob00
  • Active Members
  • Hak5 Zombie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:49 PM

Hey all,

I got the 9 dBi pole antenna from the hak shop and my question is whether i need to do anything other than substitute the new antenna on a device. Specifically do i need to set power options to optimize signal etc? The reason I ask is that i dont notice a significant increase in the area that I can observe traffic say with an external wireless card in monitor mode or something.

Thanks,

-SM

Did you have to use an adaptor to plug the antennas into anything, say a pineapple or the base that came with them? Because i just got two and they wont go into anything i try to plug them into. The end on the antennas dosent have threads.

CompTIA A+ Certified

CompTIA Network+ Certified

CompTIA Security+ Certified

Enlisted in USMC: Ship 7/20/15