how to turn any USB drive into a switchblade

Guest MaxDamage

Windows won't see beyond the first partition on a USB stick.

I've had something like that with a shitty BIOS in a laptop. The fix there was to make the partition an Extended partition, and in there add the multiple partitions.

Note that in the case of the laptop, it would only see 1 primary partition. I don't know if it's sensible to have a drive with _only_ extended partitions...

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in theory, you could use dd in linux to take out the first byte, hex edit it as needed, and dd it back in. I found these docs on MS's website after the U3 thing hit, but I was under the assumption that it was operating in firmware, and needed a usb firmware flash or something. VERY good catch maxdamage. Ill try this on my lexmark jump drive (256mb) when i get a chance (work tonight and have a project to wrap up for school)

in the meantime, i just found my mp3 player ;) completely unrelated.

Aardwolf: My phears are subsiding, thanks for mentioning it though... I agree with VaKo in that the main Switchblade thread was more focussed on making the thing much more potent but hey, it's gonna happen anyways, right? :)

MaxDamage: Strangely enough I didn't find it in the SDK but with a quick spot of googleing ;)

I did see something about the SCSI-Enquiry do-dads too but I got sidetracked while I was offline... Still, looks like we might well be getting somewhere and I dare say that we might even find a positive use for this technology too ;)

Edit: One of my sources: http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2006...ng_compute.html

Yes, looks like we have a very nice hack here. Though it's going to take some more R&D before all of the ins and outs are understood. As such I won't be working this into the current episode (as if I had time to edit it anyway). I'm home from work safe and sound, and will be taking a quick nap before I hop back into edit mode for the next 20 hours or so. The episode will be on time. On a semi-related note, I'd like to schedule a Dev5 meeting after the release of the episode to talk about a few things. I'd like for it to become a regular thing. However this is not the thread to discuss that. Keep an eye out for that thread some time after my nappy nap.

Now I'm going to go dream in binary. Great find MaxDamage, moonlit, everyone! This is a prime example of the whole point in the Dev5 team. Hehe, wait a second.... "Dev5... Putting the Point in Hak5" BBL Zzzz

okay guys I did what maxdamage had I changed the EB to an AB and saved it and then reformatted my drive or tried I also was only able to reformat to FAT or FAT32 and neither of them work. :( This is on a LEXAR JumpDrive Firefly going to try it on a SanDisk Cruzer Micro here in a sec cause it apperently does not support the U3 technology. :(

The drive you got see an similar to this one

34fc_large.jpg

EDIT:

I assuming correctly when I say I am formatting the drive and you are using XP to do the formatting not any other 3rd party software. Cause it only give me the option of Fat or Fat32 hey can you upload your hex output of your working drive so I can compare it to the one I got with this drive. :) Thanks

EDIT2: ROTFL I was typing while you were but we found the same thing HaHa :)

The linux hacking is going ok.... It TOTALLY shows up as a cdrom and and a thumbdrive. the payload doesnt really do anything... lol. So, there needs to be some work there.

When u say you broke your drive, can you be more specific? I thought that I bricked mine, but I was able to fix it. Let me know whats going on, and Ill see what we can do.