Uart - Hornet-ub & Other Questions

Anton

not sure, i got mine from crucial wifi, and i have a hornet-ub which came with openWRT preinstalled from data alliance.

So you have an ap121u & a hornet-ub? i got my hornet-ub from crucial wifi, i have not flashed it get because i am still waiting one some parts coming, i just hope its going to work now :S lol, saying that the hornet-ub only comes with the bootloader on it any way, openwrt needs to be flashed i think, maybe you could.. was going to say you could wipe the ap121u down to the boot loader then clean flash it, but i am forgetting you cant even get it working through the serial, which you would need to clean flash it... its a viscous Circle...

yea, the hornet-ub is cool for a enclosure, but its more fun to have the AP121u to take out and about. I am going to buy one of those serial cables you recommended, just to see if mine is dodgy, failing that i'm sending it back and saving to buy a hakshop one!

yea, the hornet-ub is cool for a enclosure, but its more fun to have the AP121u to take out and about. I am going to buy one of those serial cables you recommended, just to see if mine is dodgy, failing that i'm sending it back and saving to buy a hakshop one!

Yea, i am planning on building a AIO unit, the equipment - 3g dongle, alfa awus036h, 10,000mah battery pack & a solar panel to trickle charge the battery. Duno how it is all going to come together but if i get it working the way i want i think its going to be a neat bit of kit.

Also i have that usb serial adapter here with me right now as well as the hornet-ub, i think i need to wait on my usb to dc adapter coming though before i can flash it, but i have noticed that the usb to serial adapter has a 5v & 3.3v pin's on it, duno how these would connect to the hornet-ub though and if it would even work.

not sure, i got mine from crucial wifi, and i have a hornet-ub which came with openWRT preinstalled from data alliance.

Hi there, I also bought my alfa from crucial wifi and I can confirm it doesn't have openwrt on it.

I had to flash mine.

Hi there, I also bought my alfa from crucial wifi and I can confirm it doesn't have openwrt on it.

I had to flash mine.

How do you check if it has openwrt on it? i have the hornet-ub from crucial wifi, i think that only comes with the boot loader on it, when some ones says clean flash, does that mean install openwrt? because i know i need to clean flash the hornet-ub before i install the mkiv firmware.

- Anton.

P.s. when installing the firmware, can i just install the latest one? meaning i don't need to install the oldest one then use the upgrade.bin method to install the latest one?

I also had one from jpgottech, which fried when i plugged it in, hadn't even cracked out the serial cable.

Anton, you can flash the factory files which are OpenWRT, and then use the latest upgrade.bin and scp it to tmp and issue

"sysupgrade -n -v /tmp/sysupgrade.bin"

How do you check if it has openwrt on it? i have the hornet-ub from crucial wifi, i think that only comes with the boot loader on it, when some ones says clean flash, does that mean install openwrt? because i know i need to clean flash the hornet-ub before i install the mkiv firmware.

I believe it means a clean install of openwrt.

P.s. when installing the firmware, can i just install the latest one? meaning i don't need to install the oldest one then use the upgrade.bin method to install the latest one?

Just by looking at the "welcome screen" when you ssh into it, if it "greets" you with the openwrt "logo" you have confirmation, other wise I have no idea how you can check that out, maybe try uname -a ?!?!

see the post i put earlier about the AP121u i have, in either telnet or ssh i did a uname -a and it gave me info about the firmware been a linux based one, but not openwrt, see if you can type ipkg and if it says 'not found' pretty sure that would mean its a customised alfa firmware. probarly best to do a clean flash anyway!

Cheers guy's, my ANKER Astro 3 10,000mAh USB PSU has just arrived and it has an INSANE AMOUNT! of connections with it, so look like i don't need to wait for my USB to dc adapter to come before i can begin flashing, will let you guys know how i get on, the only thing that has not arrived yet is the small (can't remember its name) connection to sma for the antenna, but i have an old broken laptop there i can pull the antenna out of.

Edit: don't actually need an antenna right now, lol, signal is just fine without it! MAN I LOVE THESE BLUE LEDS!

- Cheers, Anton.

Edited by Anton

sounds good! make sure you don't flash on battery power though!

how long did your serial board take to arrive, it said dispatched from manchester, but ebay emailed me at 3am to say it had been dispatched, i didn't order it till 11pm so not sure how they possibly could post it at 3am!

make sure you don't plug in the 3.3v vcc and the power plug at the same time, might fry it!

my ap121u from crucial did not have openwrt installed - apparently only the hornets do.

See my post link to usb-uart for the adaptor I used (in the uk). Cheap and quick delivery.

Do not connect the +3.3 or +5v !!!!! - I just connected tx/rx and gnd with the adaptor powering the device .....see the thread

cheers

Spants

my ap121u from crucial did not have openwrt installed - apparently only the hornets do.

See my post link to usb-uart for the adaptor I used (in the uk). Cheap and quick delivery.

Do not connect the +3.3 or +5v !!!!! - I just connected tx/rx and gnd with the adaptor powering the device .....see the thread

cheers

Spants

AP121U should have a base OpenWRT on it. Kind of hard to sell a full access point without an OS. Hornet's only have a boot loader installed.

http://forums.hak5.org/index.php?showtopic=26726

• 1 month later...