Hiding Your Ip

Dragonman69

Get a prepaid card, buy you self an server in a different country. VPN, Proxy, SSH, and TOR it. VPN, Proxy, SSH, and TOR yourself. And connect to it and a large open hotspot never in the same location preferably in another state lol. University's would work well because they have a lot of traffic, Change your MAC address. Do what you need to, toss the laptop, then GPS, WIFI, 3g, 4g, cellular, Radar, and Sonar Jam you self home, and take the back roads. Before you do all this, cut off all communications with your friends and family, several years prior to doing this. Don't have any sort of prior record (They might be keeping tabs on you), and never use credit cards. Then move to a 3rd world country with no expedition laws and never think, or speak of it.

Even something as far fetched as this, if some one has the resources and really wants to find you, and what you've done, they will. No one has true anonymity. Will you get caught, probably not. But nothing is hole proof, hackers should know this best, we're the ones who make the holes.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess the biggest thing to remember when "trying to hide your donation to the red cross" (for you Hamiltonian LaGrange lol) is DON'T make any mistakes. Check, double check and check it again to make sure you don't forget to do something and do it far far away from your home. I just want to thank everyone for the posts, I never thought I would got such a big response for this topic.

• 2 months later...

I have a whole plan as to how this can work which involves international flights, wifi, coffee shops and hotels, local mifi and countries with limited IT law.

Buy me a drink at a conference if you want to know more

I see where you are going with this, a bit like a proxy chain, where your traffic bounces between different routers in different geographical locations. This could work, also if you used a VPN, it would make the tracing very challenging and difficult, since you are always on the go.

Best bet, and some of this might not be completely legal, so use at your own discretion, get a pre-paid visa gift card paid for in cash, register it with a fake name, fake address, etc. Activate it from a remote location, not close to where you live. Then, sign up with a site that has shell access or even better, VPN access and even the capabilities to set up TOR exits. Using the pre-paid visa gift card, pay for all the services to get up and running. Then use either an SSH tunnel off of this site to encrypt all your traffic, possibly between multiple SSH tunnels, or add it as a TOR exit node, or if it has VPN capabilities to mask your IP, use it with TOR through the VPN itself. The trick here, is when using this setup, NEVER use it from your home, and NEVER log on to any website tied to your real identity(twitter, gmail, etc) and never let anyone else know, that you use a service like this. You would also need internet access from a location that to some extent, conceals your actions as well, whether it be open wifi hot spots, hotels, etc, you will want to be able to reach networks without having to physically be near them or in the public view. You will also want to spoof your MAC address on each use, in the event they trace it back to the physical location, you keep them on their toes.

This is what I do everytime I log into Reddit. :P

Something that' I've been wondering is if one were using Tor to help anonymize internet activities, would it be helpful to connect through an additional proxy after utilizing Tor? Would this help provide redundancy of being anonymous?

Depends on who owns the proxy. At that point everything is back to its original state so any unencrypted stuff is unencrypted and so passing through some random persons proxy. If you own it then using Tor in the first place is a bit redundant

Back to the topic of 3G triangulation - yes it is very easy for cellular companies (and hence anyone who has access to cell companies) to triangulate your physical position using their network. I know because I've had them do it for me a number of times when our cell modems get stolen (cops show up at the thieves door within an hour). The more urban you are, the easier it is for them because they have more + smaller "cells", so triangulating (using 3 overlapping towers, like a venn diagram with you in the middle) becomes simple. The more rural you get, the harder it is because there are fewer, much much bigger cells. So if you're out in the boonies, you're only within range of a single cell, that gives a 5, 10, 20 mile radius depending on topography of where you could be. The other factor at play is the wireless module inside your air card - not the brand or carrier of the air card, the actual chip inside that does the connecting- some modules can triangulate on their own, whereas others cannot.  For example, I've noticed the qualcomm gobis can self triangulate very well whereas most sierra wirelesss cannot. So yeah, I would advise against using a 3G air card for anonymity.

telot

This is an interesting article in general, but there is a part that relates to this conversation. Give it a read.

http://www.wired.com/vanish/2009/11/ff_vanish2/

Fortunately, while I was shocked by the intensity of the pursuit, I had anticipated the tactics. To keep my Web surfing from being tracked I often used a piece of free software called Tor, designed to protect the Internet activities of dissidents and whistleblowers around the world. Tor masks a computer’s IP address by diverting its requests through designated routers around the world. So when I logged in to Gmail from IP 131.179.50.72 in Los Angeles, the logs showed my request originating from 192.251.226.206 in Germany.

But as my friend from Google had reminded me, no security is unbreakable, so I’d added another layer: Vegas. I used the laptop I carried with me to log in remotely to my computers there, using free software from LogMeIn.com. The Vegas machines, in turn, were running Tor. Anyone clever enough to untangle those foreign routers would get only as far as a laptop sitting in an empty office on South Pecos Road.

The take away being to have a physical air gap somewhere along with another layer of remote access. Harkens back to the train station scene in Hackers where they have the payphones taped together.

Edited by skimpniff

This is an interesting article in general, but there is a part that relates to this conversation. Give it a read.

http://www.wired.com/vanish/2009/11/ff_vanish2/

That was a good read. Although, I think he would have definitely made the deadline of a month had he not gotten so lazy with his connections to his computers. To me that's what really gave him away.

Having a remote office to connect to through a secure connection and then surfing using Tor would be a great way to hide your true IP, but the cost of running a remote office would likely be impractical. Considering that Tor also does not require any installation he could have ditched his personal laptop, and instead could have visited internet cafes and used Tor rom those locations.

But that was a great read.

That was a good read. Although, I think he would have definitely made the deadline of a month had he not gotten so lazy with his connections to his computers. To me that's what really gave him away.

Having a remote office to connect to through a secure connection and then surfing using Tor would be a great way to hide your true IP, but the cost of running a remote office would likely be impractical. Considering that Tor also does not require any installation he could have ditched his personal laptop, and instead could have visited internet cafes and used Tor rom those locations.

But that was a great read.

I agree, complacency seems to be the common thread in the people getting caught (the skilled ones anyway). Combine that with some ego and you're toast. As for having a dedicated office, that's not feasible, but there are other ways that could potentially accomplish the same effect. Just throwing out ideas off the top of my head, you could use a compromised computer at a big box store like BestBuy or have an old crappy laptop/netbook dead-dropped somewhere with a static IP, or a non-attributable VPS setup. Then just do the standard stuff already dead-horsed in this thread (TOR both ends before reaching the middle etc.)

Edited by skimpniff

Just throwing out ideas off the top of my head, you could use a compromised computer at a big box store like BestBuy or have an old crappy laptop/netbook dead-dropped somewhere with a static IP, or a non-attributable VPS setup. Then just do the standard stuff already dead-horsed in this thread (TOR both ends before reaching the middle etc.)

That's what I was thinking...

• 3 weeks later...

I am not responsible for what you do!! Just to be safe again biggrin.gif

Some proxys are:

Hide my ass:

http://www.hidemyass.com/

Wow really, you really want to use them after they keep all the logs on everything that you do.....i use them for 2 hours, after that i requested my money back....THEY TRACK EVERYTHING

if you looking into the vpn way, then you might wanto to give anonine a try, for the price is not bad plus all there servers are in sweden ( major hacking points for that). Another one i use is AirVpn, but with that i only use there sweden servers. Along with Proxy switcher which is well worth the money you pay for

Wow really, you really want to use them after they keep all the logs on everything that you do.....i use them for 2 hours, after that i requested my money back....THEY TRACK EVERYTHING

No really worth, if you are using their services to do illegal things. Nvpn seems to be a good option, they don't seem to keep any logs at all.

I read the FBI affidavit on Sabu... it seemed that they actually pinned all that stuff on him from setting up a device similar to a pineapple outside his home and verifying that it was indeed his MAC addy connecting to his router where they were able to see he was connecting to TOR. If the dude would have just spoofed a MAC or set it to a random one everytime the machine booted and leeched off of his neighbor's wifi, then they wouldn't have been able to catch him (using their rules of engagement, or it would have been much more difficult). I'm not saying it's right to do that, I'd never do that, but come on, if you're gonna hack gov contractors you can't just connect to your home router and jump on TOR thinking you'll be protected.

A better option would be to randomise his MAC address and simply turn off auto connect on his wifi... or use a LAN connection. Someone as "Smart" as Sabu should know about these things...

I'm not sure on the accuracy of the 3G modem and triangulation, but if google can give you pin point accuracy within a few feet over wifi, I'm pretty sure law enforcment could do it too. If you own a device like an ipad or touchpad, or mobile phone that uses wireless, use google's location service and be surprised what it shows. From my touchpad, using bing maps and the google api, it shows me within a few feet of where I am, or more correctly, where my wireless router is. No IP lookup, but wireless device triangulation. I wouldn't expect to use a 3G access point as my cover with any regard to security. Especially if I had it with me, moving from place to place, it just makes it that much easier for them to track you.

I was recently employeed in the wireless industry (I worked for Bell) and I can tell you that for Canada all cell phones are constantly conected to no less than 3 towers within an urban environment. In Rural settings it is a mimumum of 1 tower with a mean or average of 2 towers at all times. The purpose behind this is triangulation. As most devices have the capability to access GPS services, it is neccisary for locating the individual. In urban centers you can expect accuracy of plus or minus a couple of feet. In Rural areas this can be a lot higher.

Edited by Saelani

As an extention on what Saelani said the GSM companies can track you without triangulation (i.e. using different antenna's) also (if they want), as your cell phone conmnects to an antenna they have a reasonable good idea of your signal strength (I can't remember the exact technical details) and from that they could 'guestimate' your probable location. If you happen to be on a 360 degree antenna then this is not to bad, if you are on a 120 degree antenna the area where you could be is a lot smaller already.

Of course I live an a country that has practically no rural areas left so triangulation is almost always possbile here ...

As an extention on what Saelani said the GSM companies can track you without triangulation (i.e. using different antenna's) also (if they want), as your cell phone conmnects to an antenna they have a reasonable good idea of your signal strength (I can't remember the exact technical details) and from that they could 'guestimate' your probable location. If you happen to be on a 360 degree antenna then this is not to bad, if you are on a 120 degree antenna the area where you could be is a lot smaller already.

Of course I live an a country that has practically no rural areas left so triangulation is almost always possbile here ...

Should come to Canada, it's great! Well as long as the new internet privacy bill doesn't get into effect... Bill C11 if anyone is interested in reading.

http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?Docid=5144516&File=9

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello all, I am looking for a way to make it look like I am comming from all over the world and be untraceable. I have been reading that you can do this through multiple proxies but I was unsure of the accurecy of the information. Basically I don't want my "activities" to be able to be traced back to me. If you could point me to a good website with this information or any information here would be good. Tks

I use encrypted SSH tunnels and proxy servers in different countries- works good with any kind of activity to be anonymous on Windows , Linux etc.

• 3 months later...

By using a proxy server people can easily hide ip address. But sometimes depending on the bandwidth of the proxy server you are going to use. The main disadvantages to use a proxy server is it reduces the internet's browsing speed. If you want to use proxy server to hide your original ip address then you may use some software like HideMyAss.

Edited by sasaunict

By using a proxy server people can easily hide ip address. But sometimes depending on the bandwidth of the proxy server you are going to use. The main disadvantages to use a proxy server is it reduces the internet's browsing speed. If you want to use proxy server to hide your original ip address then you may use some software like HideMyAss.

Reason not to use a proxy server you don't own, is 1, you don't own it, 2, you don't know what is being done with your traffic and who's reading it, and 3, does little to provide real security. Proxies in general, are like the equivalent of surfing the web with windows 95 and IE 3.0. Have fun getting owned. HideMyAss, for casual use is fine, but also not going to help you if you're up to no good. Government(s) regularly monitors their network, and a number of anonymous users have even been arrested because they used HideMyAss to think it would keep them from being caught. It was pretty much the nail in the coffin for them and why they got caught.