[How-to] Enable Usb Mass Storage With Swap Partition

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried my Cruzer Fit in my friend's WiFi Pineapple, and it worked. So apparently the USB port in my WiFi Pineapple is broke.

What is your return policy in this case? can you help me please?

Thank You.

Please contact the hakshop. I am sure they can help you.

Regards,

Sebkinne

Hello Forums,

i think something went wrong:

when i plug an usb device into the mark4, nothing happens. no led comes up, nothing.

i tried with different usb devices (mini-usb drive, normal stick,) with the same results.

i am not 100% sure, but i think the usb port is broken?

when i plug the usb devices into a laptop it works fine.

i changed the power supply to 12v 5A because i wasnt sure if the devicepower from usb isn't enough, same result

so, broken?

regards

Hello Forums,

i think something went wrong:

when i plug an usb device into the mark4, nothing happens. no led comes up, nothing.

i tried with different usb devices (mini-usb drive, normal stick,) with the same results.

i am not 100% sure, but i think the usb port is broken?

when i plug the usb devices into a laptop it works fine.

i changed the power supply to 12v 5A because i wasnt sure if the devicepower from usb isn't enough, same result

so, broken?

regards

Contact the HakShop http://hakshop.myshopify.com/pages/refund-and-return-policy

I want to follow up on the USB SanDisk Cruzer Fit issue.

I've just confirmed that the 4GB SanDisk Cruzer Fit also does NOT work when providing power to the MK4 via USB. I get the same errors as I did with the 8GB Fit (documented earlier in this thread).

Again, just like the 8GB Fit, powering up the MK4 via 12v, the 4GB works fine....but it won't work when the MK4 is powered via USB.

I'll likely try Telot's suggestion to get one of those other USB devices until Darren and HakShop come out with the battery pack with dual USB power and a USB hub. (hint, hint...hoping those kits come to market...SOON...:) )

• 2 weeks later...

I did this, but i found that the restrictions of simply having the usb on the mountpoint /usb too great, so I changed the overlayfs to be on the usb.

this allows me to put files anywhere on my filesystem and the only things that are stored on the pineapple's flash are the files that come with the pineapple; any changes are stored on the USB.

to do this, you need to copy the current overlayfs to your /usb (after you've followed darren's guide) by sshing to 172.16.42.1 and using:

tar -C /overlay -cvf - . | tar -C /usb/ -xf -

then I change the fstab (in the webUI) mount config to be:

option target /usb

to:

option target /overlay

if you are having trouble doing this, refer here:

http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/extroot

Be careful with that.

The reason why we decided against it is so that users do not constantly need the USB plugged in.

What did you need to do with the usb+overlay that you couldn't do with the other setup? I would be interested to hear.

Best,

Sebkinne

Be careful with that.

The reason why we decided against it is so that users do not constantly need the USB plugged in.

What did you need to do with the usb+overlay that you couldn't do with the other setup? I would be interested to hear.

Best,

Sebkinne

I have multiple USB drives for multiple presets. for example I have one that automatically loads kismet+gpsd and initializes my GPS, and another that searches for WEP to crack as i walk around, doing packet injection automatically. it makes it much easier to do backups too; i can just dd the partition into an image file if need be.

I have multiple USB drives for multiple presets. for example I have one that automatically loads kismet+gpsd and initializes my GPS, and another that searches for WEP to crack as i walk around, doing packet injection automatically. it makes it much easier to do backups too; i can just dd the partition into an image file if need be.

Thanks!

Interesting to hear.

It seems there are numerous advantages, at least for more advanced users!

I will look into it and see if there is any integration I can do ;)

Best,

Sebkinne

billius you seem to be very familiar with things like openwrt, I dig it:-)

I haven't searched about overlays but read a bit in the link you supplied to openwrt, when you use that system is the entire filesystem on the usb or just what gets updated or created?

keep it up.

billius you seem to be very familiar with things like openwrt, I dig it:-)

I haven't searched about overlays but read a bit in the link you supplied to openwrt, when you use that system is the entire filesystem on the usb or just what gets updated or created?

keep it up.

I have 4 routers to cover the floorspace of my house (it's a big house) and 20 at work, all running openWRT.

with the filesystem that most embedded systems run on, you have an area of flash that is read only; the part that you flashed to the device. all changes that are made on the filesystem are put into the overlay area; an area that can easily be wiped to reset the device to factory defaults. my mini howto copies all the changes that you've already made in the filesystem (the current overlay) to the usb, then has the device mount the usb at boot instead of the overlay area of the router's flash.

I have 4 routers to cover the floorspace of my house (it's a big house) and 20 at work, all running openWRT.

with the filesystem that most embedded systems run on, you have an area of flash that is read only; the part that you flashed to the device. all changes that are made on the filesystem are put into the overlay area; an area that can easily be wiped to reset the device to factory defaults. my mini howto copies all the changes that you've already made in the filesystem (the current overlay) to the usb, then has the device mount the usb at boot instead of the overlay area of the router's flash.

thank you so much, thats a lot of ap's (20)

Question if I run this command tar -C /overlay -cvf - . | tar -C /usb/ -xf -

will it overwrite the files already on there? will I have to delete the files on the usb before using them on a newer version of firmware?

thank you again

thank you so much, thats a lot of ap's (20)

Question if I run this command tar -C /overlay -cvf - . | tar -C /usb/ -xf -

will it overwrite the files already on there? will I have to delete the files on the usb before using them on a newer version of firmware?

thank you again

what you want to do is:

1. back up the files currently on /usb
  2. wipe the usb.
  3. use that command to copy the overlay filesystem to the usb
  4. change the fstab to mount the usb as the overlay
  5. reboot
  6. copy the backed up files to /usb- since the usb is mounted as the overlay, this should simply go back onto the usb.

I followed all the steps, I'm still not able to see the Swap partition

This is what I did

1. I formatted the 4GB SanDisk Cruzer Fit using gparted (Main partition 3GB EXT4, SWAP partition 1GB EXT4)

2. Rebooted the Pineapple > inserted the SanDisk > SSH into the Pineapple

and this is what I got

3. I rebooted the Pineapple > log in to http://172.16.42.1/pineapple - Advanced option > issued the command "free"

and this is what I got

Any ideas on why I'm getting zeros

run lsusb and ensure that your usb is actually being picked up. how are you powering it? if your running it from USB from your laptop, try running it from the mains - there have been issues with power consumption.

I'm powering my Pineapple with the AC adapter

On the resources tap. what am I suppose to have under mount on "/usb" or "/mnt"

I ran lsusb and I'm able to see the SanDisk

I followed all the steps, I'm still not able to see the Swap partition

This is what I did

1. I formatted the 4GB SanDisk Cruzer Fit using gparted (Main partition 3GB EXT4, SWAP partition 1GB EXT4)

2. Rebooted the Pineapple > inserted the SanDisk > SSH into the Pineapple

and this is what I got

3. I rebooted the Pineapple > log in to http://172.16.42.1/pineapple - Advanced option > issued the command "free"

and this is what I got

Any ideas on why I'm getting zeros

at the moment, you have sda1 mounted on /usb and sda2 is swap, which is not mounted.

If you take a look at my /etc/config/fstab:

config global automount
       option from_fstab 1
       option anon_mount 1

config global autoswap
       option from_fstab 1
       option anon_swap 0

config mount
       option target   /overlay
       option device   /dev/sda1
       option fstype   ext4
       option options  rw,sync
       option enabled  1
       option enabled_fsck 0

config swap
       option device   /dev/sda2
       option enabled  1

does your fstab look like this? at the moment my sda1 (large ext4 partition) is mounted on /overlay, which is then mounted on /, but you have to make sure that swap is enabled with the right partition number.

when you're formatting a partition to swap, it's not an ext4 filesystem, so the ID of the partition should be changed. you should be able to create the swap partition entirely in gparted without having to issue mkswap; gparted takes care of this when you tell it to create a swap partition.

at the moment, you have sda1 mounted on /usb and sda2 is swap, which is not mounted.

If you take a look at my /etc/config/fstab:

config global automount
       option from_fstab 1
       option anon_mount 1

config global autoswap
       option from_fstab 1
       option anon_swap 0

config mount
       option target   /overlay
       option fstype   ext4
       option options  rw,sync
       option enabled  1
       option enabled_fsck 0

config swap
       option enabled  1

does your fstab look like this? at the moment my sda1 (large ext4 partition) is mounted on /overlay, which is then mounted on /, but you have to make sure that swap is enabled with the right partition number.

when you're formatting a partition to swap, it's not an ext4 filesystem, so the ID of the partition should be changed. you should be able to create the swap partition entirely in gparted without having to issue mkswap; gparted takes care of this when you tell it to create a swap partition.

This is how my fstab looks like

config global automount
       option from_fstab 1
       option anon_mount 1

config global autoswap
       option from_fstab 1
       option anon_swap 0

config mount
       option target   /usb
       option fstype   ext4
       option options  rw,sync
       option enabled  1
       option enabled_fsck 0

config swap
       option enabled  1

I also formatted the swap partition using gparted and I selected Linux-swap.

I rebooted my pineapple > inserted the USB, and I'm still not able to see the swap partition

I noticed that you have ovelay for your settings?

update: I changed the fstab to look like your, but once I rebooted the pineapple it went back to usb, but now under the

resouces tab I have this

[/code]

Disk Usage

Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on

rootfs 2.7G 68.3M 2.5G 3% /

/dev/root 5.0M 5.0M 0 100% /rom

tmpfs 14.4M 112.0K 14.3M 1% /tmp

tmpfs 512.0K 0 512.0K 0% /dev

/dev/sda1 2.7G 68.3M 2.5G 3% /overlay

overlayfs:/overlay 2.7G 68.3M 2.5G 3% /

/dev/mtdblock7 5.0M 5.0M 0 100% /mnt/mtdblock7

USB

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0781:5571 SanDisk Corp.

[/code]

Edited by Jmanuel

This is how my fstab looks like

config global automount
       option from_fstab 1
       option anon_mount 1

config global autoswap
       option from_fstab 1
       option anon_swap 0

config mount
       option target   /usb
       option fstype   ext4
       option options  rw,sync
       option enabled  1
       option enabled_fsck 0

config swap
       option enabled  1

I also formatted the swap partition using gparted and I selected Linux-swap.

I rebooted my pineapple > inserted the USB, and I'm still not able to see the swap partition

I noticed that you have ovelay for your settings?

update: I changed the fstab to look like your, but once I rebooted the pineapple it went back to usb, but now under the

resouces tab I have this

[/code]

Disk Usage

Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on

rootfs 2.7G 68.3M 2.5G 3% /

/dev/root 5.0M 5.0M 0 100% /rom

tmpfs 14.4M 112.0K 14.3M 1% /tmp

tmpfs 512.0K 0 512.0K 0% /dev

/dev/sda1 2.7G 68.3M 2.5G 3% /overlay

overlayfs:/overlay 2.7G 68.3M 2.5G 3% /

/dev/mtdblock7 5.0M 5.0M 0 100% /mnt/mtdblock7

USB

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0781:5571 SanDisk Corp.

[/code]

you have in fstab option anon_swap 0

should be option anon_swap 1

also you should have the usb plugged in while making changes and after updateing fstab run mkswap /dev/sda2 then reboot

Yeah. Anon_swap should do it, I don't have it enabled in mine because its configuration is in another file. When you changed your fstab to be like mine, it meant that everything on / that is created/edited (changes to the initial file system) went on the USB.

Yeah. Anon_swap should do it, I don't have it enabled in mine because its configuration is in another file. When you changed your fstab to be like mine, it meant that everything on / that is created/edited (changes to the initial file system) went on the USB.

Wow I didn't notice the 1 on the Anon_swap option. I will try this tomorrow, and will let you know.

Thanks both for the help.

Hi guys,

Wondering if anyone could help.

I followed instructions..I have a Verbatim 4gigs usb drive and formatted it as ext4.

Here is my fstab:

config global automount
       option from_fstab 1
       option anon_mount 1

config global autoswap
       option from_fstab 1
       option anon_swap 1

config mount
       option target   /usb
       option fstype   ext4
       option options  rw,sync
       option enabled  1
       option enabled_fsck 0

config swap
       option enabled  1

For some reason, I keep getting

No such file or directory

When doing mkswap /dev/sda2

Am I supposed to already have sda2 in /dev?

Also tried a different usb and getting the same error...what else can I try?

Thanks!