Mark 4 First Dibs & Discount

Darren Kitchen

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In your testing w/ the mk4, how much data have you been using a month? Which would be a recommended data plan?

It will directly depend on how many targets you have karma'd and what they're downloading/uploading. This is why I would highly recommend a 4G sprint plan, which offers UNLIMITED wimax downloading. Not sure which cards are supported - I haven't done the homework yet on the 4G.

telot

can anyone inform me whats included with the order? I dont think its listed maybe im reading over it.

does it include a 5dbi antenna

im assuming power included is ac to dc and not USB.

Is there a pineapple sticker also?

You're right! Looks like it wasn't included on the page when it was posted.

It comes with:

The router, a 5dBi antenna, retractable cat.5 cable, US power adapter, a pineapple sticker, and the quick start guide.

Battery packs will follow at a later date, once we determine which ones work best with the product.

Yes sir placed the order yesterday and hoping that even with a late order its still in stock ^^

Its so much going to be a cheap trick in our catch the "mouse" contest

in the Computer Science's Security class but now i'll get to see how long i can cheap pull i victory

before someone catches on to the subject xD (the bastards running at the academy use our school time to pentest

the network for the school but what the heck ^^ Its fun xD)

You're right! Looks like it wasn't included on the page when it was posted.

It comes with:

The router, a 5dBi antenna, retractable cat.5 cable, US power adapter, a pineapple sticker, and the quick start guide.

Battery packs will follow at a later date, once we determine which ones work best with the product.

SNUBSIE!!!!

Thanks for takin' such good care of us at the HakShop!!!

:wub:

SNUBSIE!!!!

Thanks for takin' such good care of us at the HakShop!!!

:wub:

Anytime :)

and Karea, yes, what we have in stock now on the store is what we actually physically have. Doing this slower roll out of the new Mark 4 is helping us stay on top of orders and ship everything within 1-2 business days.

Anytime :)

and Karea, yes, what we have in stock now on the store is what we actually physically have. Doing this slower roll out of the new Mark 4 is helping us stay on top of orders and ship everything within 1-2 business days.

Nice =D Soo much looking forewords to it xD and thanks for the reply =3

Keep up the good work we root for you guys in class xD (gonna brag about a reply from snups xD)

Got mine on order. But a quick Q. Whats the power consumption? Wanna do some calcs on runtime vs batteries (how come the batteries *always lose? :) )

Being that this is a new SoC, unless Darren and co. step up with some numbers, I'll post the results of some amperage / voltage tests when I have it in hand. Darren's eluded to the fact that he runs it off USB, which means its variability in input voltage stretches at least down to 5V 500 milliamps, which by the way, is awesome news.

telot

Well I just bought mine today... Can't wait to get it. Other I read something about a kit that darren talked about... Does that come with this one or would we have to wait until Darren makes them?

I"m just wondering wheather if I bought it too soon that it won't come with a kit.

Whether you buy today or not, the kit will be separate item. (from what I understand)(EDIT: I just reread and Darren did state that there will be a bundle eventually) The only thing you would save would be a few dollars in shipping. Then again, if you waited, you wouldn't have gotten the discount, so you are probably better off in the long run anyway.

Edited by iamk3

thanks for explaining it to me. That's what I thought myself too. Guess the discount will go towards the kit... hahah .. Hopefully it's nice and small or something to carry in your backpack or something.

Being that this is a new SoC, unless Darren and co. step up with some numbers, I'll post the results of some amperage / voltage tests when I have it in hand. Darren's eluded to the fact that he runs it off USB, which means its variability in input voltage stretches at least down to 5V 500 milliamps, which by the way, is awesome news.

I tested amperage the other day in various configurations all using a 5V USB battery pack. Mind you the mk4 will take anywhere between 5V and 12V. If you feed it 5V the A draw will be higher than if you provide 12V -- it's a balance. 5V batteries are easier to come by since USB is so ubiquitous so that's what I'm going with. Except for my monster 24-hour pineapple using a 12V marine battery. We'll talk about that one later. Here are my initial power draw findings:

Without WiFi - 5V 1A

With WiFi - 5V 1.7A

With WiFi & 3G (GSM) - 3.4 - 4.8 A

We could have a whole separate thread about batteries, and I'm sure we will, but suffice it to say I've been testing at least a dozen and will have the best performance / value in the shop asap. Any USB battery pack should power it and with a 5000mAh pack the other day I was able to run for over 4 hours with over 100 clients associated. Posted a screenshot to G+ -- it was insane! Thanks RSA :)

Well I just bought mine today... Can't wait to get it. Other I read something about a kit that darren talked about... Does that come with this one or would we have to wait until Darren makes them?

I"m just wondering wheather if I bought it too soon that it won't come with a kit.

The kit will be in the shop soon as a separate add-on. We have a bunch of cool accessories coming.

OK, Now I am jealous! I have the Schmoocon edition and my UI looks nothing like that. Is there an update being rolled out soon, please , please.

It'll be out very shortly. Just need to nail down a few things. Hang tight and thanks for the patience.

The first dibs is the same as the production release -- we're just giving you, um, first dibs at getting one because we know there's a lot of demand and production hasn't fully ramped up yet. We'll be on top of that by mid March. By that time we should also be offering a kit.

The kit is an optional add-on you'll be able to get then. Or roll your own. Basically looking to offer a rechargeable lithium ion battery pack, hak5 branded storage already formatted as ext4, partitioned and configured with a bunch of tools, as well as a case - most likely from Pelican (they rock), high gain directional pancake antenna, an assortment of rp-spa & usb-type-m cables and anything else that'll make this more leet. Still working on it so suggestions welcome.

so simple question: when will this be available :-) still have my eyes on the shop-card to order....

what about this cable for usb power:

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-USB2TYPEM-Barrel-Power-Cable/dp/B003MQO96U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330709309&sr=8-1

some of us dont use battery-packs

we have some mk3's (alfa meshs) with german power avail here at the cornershop.

have fun

Yes, these orders are shipping Monday.

I was recently asked about SSLStrip. No, it doesn't come pre-installed due to space requirements, however it can be installed on a USB drive. That's one of the things we're working on adding as part of a kit down the road. Personally I like to simply have the device start Karma, 3G & SSH Tunnel to my VPS on boot then run all of the sniffing tools and such there. Will post some tutorials soon.

>>Will post some tutorials soon.

sounds great

What is the best way to make sure that the center pin is positive if we purchase prefab cables?

Use a multi-meter and test it. If it's a USB to DC plug you can plug it in a check the voltages. If it is just a DC plug with wires, do a continuity check on the wires to be sure which ones is connected where.

Use a multi-meter and test it. If it's a USB to DC plug you can plug it in a check the voltages. If it is just a DC plug with wires, do a continuity check on the wires to be sure which ones is connected where.

Damn you Mr. Protocol! Again you pressed Add Reply before I could get a chance to!

I'm 99% sure theres no fuse inside these alfas, so always double check any custom wiring you might be doing before plugging it in to the pineapple with a voltmeter. You can pick them up for as little as $5 at any home store (lowes/home depot/menards/fleet farm). It only takes 1ms of negative voltage to fry these little puppies. A very expensive whoopsie.

telot

Edited by telot

Damn you Mr. Protocol! Again you pressed Add Reply before I could get a chance to!

I'm 99% sure theres no fuse inside these alfas, so always double check any custom wiring you might be doing before plugging it in to the pineapple with a voltmeter. You can pick them up for as little as $5 at any home store (lowes/home depot/menards/fleet farm). It only takes 1ms of negative voltage to fry these little puppies. A very expensive whoopsie.

telot

Is a fuse going to protect against reverse polarity? Diodes are the typical device for that, no?

I have seen a couple of center neg cables, but that was back in the day when MFG's made things all themselves. Nowadays, its cheaper/easier to use off the shelf components and sub assemblies.

(and there is a fuse in there, right next to the big cap in front of the power port)

Edited by anode