Breaking In To Security, Trying To Get Answers

digininja

I've just started a new project which is trying to get answers to the eternal question 'How do I get into information security?'. To do this I've put together a questionnaire and a brief outline of what I'm trying to achieve.

I'm trying to solicit information from people at every level of the industry so please, have your say and help us create a resource that we can give to people who will continue to start emails with 'I'm interested in security, how do I get started?'

The project is here, please spread the word as widely as possible:

Breaking in to security, part 1

• 2 months later...

Thanks. I gave the first talk on it at BSides London yesterday and it went really well.

The slides and data are at http://www.digininja.org/projects/breaking_in_bsides.php and I intend to do a proper write up and fix the graphs when I get back from the conference and catch up on some sleep.

Very nice presentation, you caught my interest with the InfoSec Mentors website, do you know much about it, I'm really tempted to sign up for it. Seriously though, that presentation was awesome, I made some friends read it too :P

Also I'm not sure if this is a typo or not, but on your website the "Breaking in Data" hyperlink has two N's in it.

Edited by Radau

Infosec mentors is still out there and running, I checked with one of the organisers before I added it to the slides, they just aren't very active at promoting it.

Have a look at the site and give them a prod, if they don't respond keep prodding, they do want to help they just need the kick to get them moving again.

http://www.infosecmentors.com/

And I've fixed the typo, I put those pages up at 1AM after the DC party so I made sure that the links worked but missed the actual text that went with it.

I'm hoping to get a full write up done this weekend so will post that as soon as it is done.

Awesome, I'll keep my eyes peeled.

I made sure to sign up for it earlier this morning so we'll see where that goes.

• 2 months later...

Sorry for resserecting an old thread, but i would like to thank you (digininja) and those who participated in the survey.

Every time i have looked around for the answer given in your conclusion, i end up with 100's of different answers and everyone says everyone else is wrong. This has definatly put me in the right direction.