Simple Diy Pbx For Soho

clarkdv

I own a small business and I want to setup a PBX system. I don't envision ever needing more than 4 or 5 extensions but I do want a menu system with prompts.

I'd like a Mac based solution but I can do Windows or Linux if need be.

I've looked into Asterisk, FreeSwitch, and some others, but I'd like to talk to those who are more up on what is the latest, easiest, etc.

TIA!

• 2 weeks later...

Scouring these forums I came across your post and it got me thinking and looking into this. I just found out how much we spend on our PBX and it seemed like fate so I looked into it. freePBX is what I came to. We currently have a reseller of shmoozecom, and I guess they teamed up or something, but the graphs and reports from freePBX are identical to the ones we get through our reseller. So I was told to drop everything and install/test/play around with it to see if it would be possible to replace our current PBX with it. I couldn't find much on a server req for it, besides it can vary greatly depending on your needs, so I'm setting it up on a reg extra computer we had. I'll let you know how it goes.

A friend of mine has been playing with this at his house. Has it tethered to his Google phone number.

http://nerdvittles.com/?p=791

This sounds interesting. Kinda makes me wanna play with this. Speaking of the topic and Google Voice. A friend of mine did something with his cell Android phone where he can make free calls using google voice and receive calls for free as long as he had data or wifi enabled on the phone. I forget all the steps I set it up also, but have since forgotten everything I've done. I may contact him again and get the steps and post it, because I'm curious if there was a simpler way and other's may be interested.

Anyway, back to the point I believe it was maybe a year or 2 ago when Matt was on the show, he did a series on VoIP and covered a windows based platform solution. I believe it was 3CX? http://www.3cx.com/VOIP/softphone.html I'm to lazy to look for sure atm, but just thought I'd throw that out there.

• 1 month later...

Did some R&D on this for the company last year. 3CX is very easy to install and configure.

Also had a working installation of trixbox (Linux-based. Nice thing here, with a hybrid system, is the ability to bypass having a SIP if you have an actual phone line. The phone line also provides a fail-over if your SIP goes out of whack, although it severely reduces call-volume/quality. Ultimately we discontinued using it as the community edition fork of trixbox has essentially died while the company pursues the commercial avenue. Messed around with PBXIAF, liked it quite a bit, but the project was ultimately deemed unnecessary, so I haven't pursued it much since then.

I have been running the incredible PBX at home for over 2 years, http://www.pbxinaflash.com/

also the http://www.nerdvittles.com site by Ward Mundy has all the important getting started guides.

The system is by far the most secure, stable, and best complete open source PBX there is.There are alot of awesome addon's and tweaks that can be done like travelin man, google voice extensions, phone to sms.

The other good option may be Elastix but it is more of an SBS type system than a PBX

Run a dedicated laptop or white box for the system as timing is not so great in a virtual system, but you dont need alot of horsepower I run mine on an eeepc with an atom proc.

Good luck, my experiences have been alot of work but definately worth the effort in learning the system

• 4 weeks later...

We use FreePBX and Elastix. Hell we could sell you a Virtual PBX so you don't even have to mess with it!

But PBXinaFlash is nice too =D. Just stay away from Trixbox..it's outdated and sh!tty.

Hosted PBX is too expensive. Setup your own freePBX with a couple of magic jacks, since you don't need more than 5 lines

• 1 month later...

Take it as you want. But I sell (hate to admit it, we really try not to) 3cx setups. Their junk. If you want something small or something large scale. Got with PBX In A Flash www.nerdvittles.com. Check it out for instruction / knowledge about the product. Then goto pbxinaflash.com/community for any assistance you need. The stuff is great and more stable the. Any other product we offer

• 1 month later...

I've used a bunch of different PBX solutions in the past, hell I've done 3CX segments on Hak5 for those that remember. But I too have had luck with pbxinaflash and if you want to take the time, the asterisk installs are always an option for 0 cost.