Realtime Sync

syko24

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend preferably an open source realtime sync program. I don't mind paying a few bucks if I have must to get the job done. I have two 4TB BlackArmor 440s each setup in a RAID5 on the same network. NAS-a is the main storage device for the network. Nas-b is used to keep a second copy incase NAS-a craps out on me. Currently I am using robocopy with the mir switch to reflect the changes of A to B. The problem I have with this is that robocopy usually takes the entire day to sync because there are too many files to compare changes to with the mir switch on. It usually sits for about 2 or 3 hours before it starts doing anything.

Does anybody know of a better option that can do realtime or close to realtime syncing? The BlackArmor devices have an rsync option with NAS to NAS. Unfortunately, Seagate forgot to mention in their documentation that this is not really a sync. It just creates a hidden backup on the second NAS device. You then have to restore the data back to another NAS in order to access it.

I found out that with the latest firmware update that you can setup iscsi targets on the NAS. Would it be a good idea to create a software mirror with the two iscsi targets using a Windows 7 or Windows Server box?

Thanks,

Chris