Tor Trouble----time Outs

rj1vL

Tor check web page and status box says I’m connected to Tor. I can access the regular Internet on Tor.

I’m using the latest stable Tor bundle to access the Tor network.

I can’t access any .onion sites despite having:

1. Reinstalled Tor several times

2. “Excellent” signal strength

3. Trying to access TorDir, Core.onion, Hidden Wiki, Duck Duck Go, and various other hidden services.

4. Switched identities uncountable times

5. Checking the computer clock time

6. Used Tor inside a virtual machine

7. Turning my computer on and off

8. Reloaded the pages literally hundreds of times.

I’ve visited .onion sites inside an XP virtual machine and know that most of the sites I’m trying to reach are online (e.g., Hidden Wiki) and can access the Tor network, but no .onion sites-----------So I KNOW something’s wrong.

Every time I try to connect to an .onion site, the connection times out, but again, I KNOW something’s wrong and am at my wit’s end. I haven’t accessed a single .onion site once in the last few months.

So someone please help me if you can. I would really appreciate it.

Could you tell me what, settings you have enabled under the Network and Advanced tabs?

Reason I ask, because I don't seem to have any issues accessing .onion sites.

Edit: Here is the actual link to the hidden wiki, http://kpvz7ki2v5agwt35.onion/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Edited by Infiltrator

Thanks for the reply! I can't access that url.

None of the boxes are checked under "Network" in the Vidalia control panel.

Advanced settings:

ss20111022165527.png

These are the settings in the Tor configuration file:

# This file was generated by Tor; if you edit it, comments will not be preserved

# The old torrc file was renamed to torrc.orig.1 or similar, and Tor will ignore it

AvoidDiskWrites 1

ControlPort 9051

DataDirectory .\Data\Tor

GeoIPFile .\Data\Tor\geoip

Log notice stdout

SocksListenAddress 127.0.0.1

These are my computer system settings:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium , Service Pack 1, 64 bit

Processor: Intel® Core i3-2310M CPU @ 2.10GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7

Processor Count: 4

RAM: 4009 Mb

Graphics Card: Intel® HD Graphics Family, 1812 Mb

Hard Drives: C: Total - 236543 MB, Free - 164783 MB; D: Total - 354129 MB, Free - 354027 MB;

Motherboard: SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD., RV420/RV520/RV720/E3530/S3530/E3420/E3520, FAB1, 123490EN400015

Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

What package of TOR did you download, the portable version or the installed version?

Here's how I have set mine up. I currently have the installed version of TOR, Firefox as well as the TOR FF add-on and it works fine.

Here's how I have set mine up. I currently have the installed version of TOR, Firefox as well as the TOR FF add-on and it works fine.

I'll try that but so far, I know that the websites, router, home network, and browser bundle are not the problem. I was able to access .onion sites on someone else's XP computer on the home network by running the Tor portable bundle from a USB.

However, I need to be able to access those sites on this computer. I'll try your suggestion and tell you what happens.

Just some updates:

What's really weird is that, yesterday I was able to access the Hidden Wiki, now I can't access it all. However, I can access other onion sites.

I have a feeling that, that could be something to do with the TOR network or the web server hosting the Hidden wiki, since I tried resetting my modem, as well as TOR client and even tried using a new identity but all the attempts have failed.

Check to see if the firewall is blocking the ports or if they need to be opened on the machine you are having issues on. if it works on another machine via usb bundle, then its more or less the configuration, settings, or software(anti-virus, firewall, etc) on the machine in question that is most likely blocking it. Make sure the machine in question can reach the internet in general, without TOR. If it can't then you have other issues at play, such as DHCP, etc.

I haven't tried doing the permanent installation on this machine yet but these are the results so far from opening from a usb.

Check to see if the firewall is blocking the ports or if they need to be opened on the machine you are having issues on. if it works on another machine via usb bundle, then its more or less the configuration, settings, or software(anti-virus, firewall, etc) on the machine in question that is most likely blocking it. Make sure the machine in question can reach the internet in general, without TOR. If it can't then you have other issues at play, such as DHCP, etc.

I can access Tor but not the .onion sites. The Tor check page that opens up confirms this. So I can access the Internet and ports are not blocked.

I just tried running the Tor Bundle from a usb on this machine but have the same problems.

Just some updates:

What's really weird is that, yesterday I was able to access the Hidden Wiki, now I can't access it all. However, I can access other onion sites.

I have a feeling that, that could be something to do with the TOR network or the web server hosting the Hidden wiki, since I tried resetting my modem, as well as TOR client and even tried using a new identity but all the attempts have failed.

I can't access core.onion, Tor Dir, Duck Duck Go, or any other .onion sites on this machine.

Here's a message log:

ss20111023124952.png

Only differences I can find between this machine and the other one:

1. OS: One that works is XP SP 3. This machine is a fully updated Windows 7 computer.
  2. Connection Strength: One that works is 56 mbs. This one is 36 mbs but still has "good" signal strenth according to the network properties.
  3. Connection Method: Working one is desktop and uses usb wireless adapter. This machine is a laptop with built in wireless connecting abilities.

If it makes any difference, I can access Freenet just fine on his computer.

Edited by rj1vL

is the timeout network related due to wireless or purely TOR related? I can't see a reason for the difference other than maybe wireless connectivity issue. Have you tried using an ethernet cable and going wired on the Win7 machine, to rule out wireless packet loss issues?

is the timeout network related due to wireless or purely TOR related? I can't see a reason for the difference other than maybe wireless connectivity issue. Have you tried using an ethernet cable and going wired on the Win7 machine, to rule out wireless packet loss issues?

O MY GOD! O MY GOD! O MY GOD! It's finally working! I can visit .onion sites and am posting using Tor right now in Firefox!

I installed the non-portable version on my machine and set the clock forward about one hour (the message log told me to) though I now have the incorrect time. I don't understand why that should work. But whatever, at least it works!

Thanks so much for the help! I was about to find someone online to pay in bitcoins if he offered a solution; I was so desperate after months of this nonsense.

Have a good one!

Edited by rj1vL

I am glad you fixed the problem!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all.

I am having the same problems as rj1vL when trying lo connect to .onion sites. I am running Windows 7. I can access surface web sites through Auroa using Tor, but as soon as I try to connect to anything .onion, I get an error message. I know the problem is with something in my settings somewhere, but do not know where. Can anyone help? I have tryed changing my time, and some of the settings, but nothing helps.

Thank you!

I installed the non-portable version on my machine and set the clock forward about one hour (the message log told me to) though I now have the incorrect time.

@ Infiltrator && digip

I think I have seen something like this in a post just recently where someone had to set their clock forward a hour to get a connection to .onion sites... Any idea why this keeps occurring? I use the portable all the time and I have never had a problem with changing the time.