Armitage Connection Reset

nomadpenguin

I am trying to use armitage on bt 5 r1

when i hit "start msf" it tells me "connection refused", then "using postgresql" then, "could not connect to db, make sure it's running" Looking at the terminal, it tells me that the connection was reset. I realize that there has been a previous thread on this, but the problem was not solved. Thanks in advance!

The video I made for my post makes it as easy as you can get.

cd /pentest/exploits/framework

ls

./armitage

Click "Start MSF" and wait for it to load...

I agree and didn't say your video was useless, was just trying to show him other options to help him out too.

• 2 weeks later...

@nomadpenguin You shouldn't use MySQL with Armitage. The Metasploit team uses postgresql. Also, there is a known issue where Metasploit updates fail to update the db tables properly when MySQL is in use. Armitage and Metasploit work with BackTrack 5 out of the box.

Postgresql should always be running by default on BackTrack 5. If it's not (hence the "is the database running message?"), then you need to get it running. Type:

/etc/init.d/framework-postgres start

It'll either start or you'll see an error message. If you see bogus data in lock file "postmaster.pid" then you'll need to type the following:

rm /opt/framework3/postgresql/data/postmaster.pid

rm /opt/framework3/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.7175

rm /opt/framework3/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.7175.lock

[see: http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forums/backtrack-5-beginners-section/41151-fatal-bogus-data-lock-file-postmaster-pid-help-please.html for the original thread on this issue].

Also, Armitage has a nice Help button in the setup dialog now. Click that button to see every possible thing that I know can go wrong (and what the corresponding remedy is).

@nomadpenguin You shouldn't use MySQL with Armitage. The Metasploit team uses postgresql. Also, there is a known issue where Metasploit updates fail to update the db tables properly when MySQL is in use. Armitage and Metasploit work with BackTrack 5 out of the box.

Postgresql should always be running by default on BackTrack 5. If it's not (hence the "is the database running message?"), then you need to get it running. Type:

It'll either start or you'll see an error message. If you see bogus data in lock file "postmaster.pid" then you'll need to type the following:

rm /opt/framework3/postgresql/data/postmaster.pid

rm /opt/framework3/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.7175

rm /opt/framework3/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.7175.lock

[see: http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forums/backtrack-5-beginners-section/41151-fatal-bogus-data-lock-file-postmaster-pid-help-please.html for the original thread on this issue].

Also, Armitage has a nice Help button in the setup dialog now. Click that button to see every possible thing that I know can go wrong (and what the corresponding remedy is).

Nice to see you on the forums and nice to meet you this past weekend. We really got a kick out of your Red vs Blue talk and "Q: how did you get in? A: Default passwords, default passwords, ms08-67 and default passwords.."

:)