5 replies to this topic

#1 Morfir

Morfir

Scaling the Cliffs of Knowledge

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 06:52 PM

Edited by Morfir, 23 August 2013 - 08:51 PM.

Regards,

Morfir

#2 h0gD34th

h0gD34th

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:17 PM

I've seen this done in the past, in fact someone went as far as to get Ubuntu running on their 360. To my knowledge however, a software update in summer 2009 has since closed any possibility of doing such. In other words unless your xbox has been collecting dust for some time (before summer '09), you're out of luck as far as installing any third party os. I have no idea if this can be sidestepped with a mod chip, so that might be worth looking into.

#3 zanginator

zanginator

• Active Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:45 AM

Most probably just by using a USB device and some wierd haks :P

Though you could (if you have an old computer laying about) put the Xbox's HDD in the PC, install ubuntu, then switch the HDD back into the Xbox.

Unfortunatley i dunno much about this, as i dont own an XBox :lol:

#4 m1k

m1k

Hak5 Fan ++

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 03:38 PM

http://dynebolic.org/

Maybe it helps...

:)

#5 General Grievous

General Grievous

Hak5 Fan

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:55 PM

I think you'll have to research how the Xbox uses a bootloader to find an OS. It may instead of having a free-loader, have an Microsoft-Xbox-only-OS loader instead, essentially it isn't going to be easy to do anything if they flashed Xbox "BIOS" to only accept Xbox stuff. I think you would need a mod chip, or you would need to find out how to flash back the chip. Maybe, just maybe you can clean out your HDD, and put on an old version of Xbox, and do updates before 2009, and hopefully there is a flash in those updates somewhere which will wipe out the 2009 flash (presuming the 2009 "update" included a hardware flash.)

If there is no hardware flash it should be possible to load linux/ubuntu/etc, you just need to find someone or find out yourself how to make the Xbox look and be ok with loading Linux, most likely by acting like a fake Xbox code of some sort.

I may be wrong, but this is my input. (I have merely CompTIA A+ certification.)

#6 jobdone

jobdone

Hak5 Fan ++

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:51 PM

at a guess he's sold it by now , that was last july? but seriously if you've never tried hacking any xboxen is it good to give such advise? The last time I looked into loading linux on a 360 it required a certain kernel and a flashed dvd drive (To run a patched game burned to dvdr). I'm fairly certain a JTAG mod would make this possible too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users