Karma Hostapd And Backtrack

I'm having trouble getting hostapd with karma to install on backtrack. I tried it on backtrack 4 and 5 with no luck.

I these are the first two lines of errors i get when I run the make file

cc -o hostapd main.o config_file.o ../src/ap/hostapd.o ../src/ap/wpa_auth_glue.

o ../src/ap/drv_callbacks.o ../src/ap/ap_drv_ops.o ../src/ap/utils.o ../src/ap/a

I got i figured out on backtrack 4 but still haven't got it to work on backtrack 5. Is anyone else having issues on backtrack 5?

./src/crypto/tls_openssl.c:23:25: warning: openssl/ssl.h: No such file or directory

../src/crypto/tls_openssl.c:24:25: warning: openssl/err.h: No such file or directory

../src/crypto/tls_openssl.c:25:28: warning: openssl/pkcs12.h: No such file or directory

../src/crypto/tls_openssl.c:26:28: warning: openssl/x509v3.h: No such file or directory

• 1 year later...

Quick bump to this topic, Trying to set this up myself. I've been looking around and can't find a guide for installing Karma manually and configuring. Presumably it's going to be something like this:

cd ~

wget http://www.digininja.org/files/hostapd-karma.tar_0.1.tar.bz2

tar -jcvf hostapd-karma.tar_0.1.tar.bz2

cd hostapd-karma

./config

make

nano hostapd-karma.conf #edit config file

./hostapd -dd ~/hostapd-karma.conf

Seems too simple though. I'm sure I'm missing some steps here. Also, some questions:

1. Does this, with the propper .conf settings, provide the same functionality as airbase-ng's -P mode that accepts all probes?

2. Does Karma provide DHCP and DNS servers, or is it just for getting clients to authenticate to the device? (I'm wanting to do a custom setup, so the latter is prefferable.)

3. Is this the most up to date version of Karma and Hostapd? Or does that need to be installed with apt-get? Dependencies?

4. Will computers set to automatically connect to WPA2/AES clients connect and use this network, or will it only capture the handshake and the remote client disconnect?

5. Digininja, Y U NO have guide on karma page? ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Again, if there is a guide out there explaining all of this, shoot me a link, please. If I can get this up and working, I might just document the process and post it for review. Using Backtrack 5r2 with an Alfa AWUS036NHR, btw. It uses the realtek rtl9182(se or cu suffix, can't remember which and don't have it with me to check), but supports injection, not sure if it supports master mode.

Thanks in advance, guys.

That is all there is to it.

1. It is better than airbase as it is a true AP rather than a fake one where monitor mode is used to pretend to be an AP

2. No, this is purely an AP, you have to set up the rest yourself

3. I might have a more up-to-date one kicking around but there probably isn't much between that and the one you have

4. They will associate but then fail to authenticate as you don't know the correct key to talk back to them

5. Because I only had time to write the software.

And you won't get it working with the Alfa, you can only use it with cards with either a Prism54 or Atheros chipset. Finding these in USB is very rare, I do all my dev work on either my eeepc or a device I've got with a couple of Atheros cards built in.

Digininja

Thank you for your help.

Tplink has a very nice atheros based USB adapter; TL-WN722N. Very good for injection. I found them to be more reliable than the alphas, which I rarely use.

That is all there is to it.

1. It is better than airbase as it is a true AP rather than a fake one where monitor mode is used to pretend to be an AP

2. No, this is purely an AP, you have to set up the rest yourself

3. I might have a more up-to-date one kicking around but there probably isn't much between that and the one you have

4. They will associate but then fail to authenticate as you don't know the correct key to talk back to them

5. Because I only had time to write the software.

And you won't get it working with the Alfa, you can only use it with cards with either a Prism54 or Atheros chipset. Finding these in USB is very rare, I do all my dev work on either my eeepc or a device I've got with a couple of Atheros cards built in.

Hey Digininja,

If you happen to have some updated code laying about i would love to use it. The current while listings and blacklisting does not work correctly all the time.

Please let me know if I can help by writing a guide or a setup script for it. whatever just let me know.

The tl-link 722n will work great for the karma ap. Just make sure you are running a kernel greater than 3.0.

Hey Digininja,

If you happen to have some updated code laying about i would love to use it. The current while listings and blacklisting does not work correctly all the time.

Please let me know if I can help by writing a guide or a setup script for it. whatever just let me know.

The tl-link 722n will work great for the karma ap. Just make sure you are running a kernel greater than 3.0.

to clarify more, for mac blacklisting once you remove/white list a mac it can no longer be blacklisted until reboot.

and there are bugs in the white listing of ssids that is it seems to work all the time when in blacklisting mode but once your in white listing mode it works the first time you run it but if you remove the ssids and add them again a second time it doesn't work most of the time?

I am testing this on the current mark4 firmware and using a module that I made called blacklister, I have made a newer version 2.0 that should be released soon.

They are similar but as the Pineapple runs OpenWrt which applies its own patches to hostapd I'm patching over the top of those so the patch is different. It is also probably a slightly different version.

• 9 months later...