Incremental Backup Via Internet?

hi,

i am wondering if anyone knows the best way to perform an incremental back via the network.

i have a windows server and i want to perform an incremental backup to a remote location over the internet.

does anyone know of any software or the best way to do this??

thanks in advance

There are many services out there for remote backups in the cloud which means you have to trust a 3rd party, but instead of paying for one in the cloud, probably better to have multiple data centers of your own or can lease, and mirror the sites over a VPN using replication.

We used to use a service called Sungard, which was not just a backup/mirror solution in real time, but they also ran the same hardware and setup as we did for our systems, so from a disaster recovery standpoint, if say we had a fire in our data center, we could take our offsite backups, all go to the other location and be up and running in a few hours with no data loss other than where things got cut off during the event. It was a fat pipe that replicated in real time, until at night when we did offsite backups locally, we would break the connection to do internal backups, then sync up everything in the morning when done the nightly cycle since some of the backups were network and CPU intensive.

I've never had to set this up at home, but I'm sure a quick google for "backup over wan" or offsite replication would yield plenty of places to start looking.

I use the Windows backup built-in utility in my server to make a backup of all my data. If you need a less expensive or cheap option, you could set up your own back up system, on the remote end and use openVPN or SSH to encrypt the traffic. The only limiting factor will be the upload speed of your connection, you will need to look into symmetric ADSL, where the upload/download speeds are the same.

If you don't like the Windows backup utility you could use, http://amanda.zmanda.com/ will do any type of backup options you want.

Edited by Infiltrator

• 3 weeks later...

I am in need of a method for this also. I currently have been using Adito as I can upload files remotely via ssl and I like the interface, but sometimes it will just halt. It will just hang and the upload will be as if it were paused. I haven't put wireshark on it yet to see what's going on, but if there is a better way and secure that'd be great. A way with minimal configuration on the client side.

My main purpose is so all family and upload all of their family pic's they take on their camera's straight to the server so any family member can access. That's one thing I like about adito is the ability to setup multiple accounts and let family create their own passwords and all they really have to do is navigate to the address hosting adito and log in.

I did a little reading on this "Amanda" it sounds interesting and might just work.

Thanks, nice find.

• 2 months later...

I am in need of a method for this also. I currently have been using Adito as I can upload files remotely via ssl and I like the interface, but sometimes it will just halt. It will just hang and the upload will be as if it were paused. I haven't put wireshark on it yet to see what's going on, but if there is a better way and secure that'd be great. A way with minimal configuration on the client side.

My main purpose is so all family and upload all of their family pic's they take on their camera's straight to the server so any family member can access. That's one thing I like about adito is the ability to setup multiple accounts and let family create their own passwords and all they really have to do is navigate to the address hosting adito and log in.

I did a little reading on this "Amanda" it sounds interesting and might just work.

Thanks, nice find.

Hey, we have a regularly incremental backup of our Server, but not to network. If you backup your family pcs, I recommend you try easeus todo backup free version. Or search download.cnet.com and you can get some freeware.

• 1 month later...