Network Admin Salary

Can anyone give me an estimate of how much someone with a bachelors in network administration would make managing a network of about 100 computers.

I would say around $50.000 to $68.000 a year. With experience that would easily go up to $70.000+++

Just starting out....yeah, Infiltrator's figure is pretty accurate, assuming it's someone who's just graduated or maybe has only a year or two experience, dependent upon where in the US, cost of living there, etc.

• 2 months later...

I would say around $50.000 to $68.000 a year. With experience that would easily go up to $70.000+++

That's way too high, but it depends a lot on where you live (and experience level). Network Admins that I've known typically make 30-50k / year for a network as small as 100 computers. Network Admins at very large corporations (like Coca-Cola or something) can make more, in the 50-80k range, but you need experience, and you're dealing with a much more sophisticated infrastructure.

It's very easy to outsource a lot of administrative functions these days, so keep that in mind when searching for a job and negotiating salary.

Edited by harrison

im on 80k NZD

in nz it ranges from 50k to 85k, but all so very's from site to site, employer to employer , complexity of the site,

what server / applications are running all comes into play.

Edited by digimaori

im on 80k NZD

in nz it ranges from 50k to 85k, but all so very's from site to site, employer to employer , complexity of the site,

what server / applications are running all comes into play.

Hook it up with some work experience cuz? I just want the experience for my CV!!

• 5 months later...

There are lots of factors here including, but not limited to, employer, location, et al. For example, are you looking at a company with 100 servers spread across multiple countries/continents? Or an organization with 100 employees in one floor of a building who just need a "computer guy"? There are websites that will be able to answer your question much more specifically based on relevant factors; do a google.

• 3 months later...

I'm not in the US, but it does seem a little high.

I find that Network admin is a bit of a vague term these days especially with smaller companies.

In my opinion the Network admin should technically only be in charge of the Network infrastructure.

To give you an example, I do network support for a number of large companies and most of them break job roles up as follows.

Network admin - Network Infrastructure, switching, routing, wireless

Security admin - WAN and LAN security, Firewalls, IPS, IDS, NAC etc.

Systems admin - Domain controllers, servers etc.

Database admin - Self explanatory.

and the list can go on. but in smaller companies you my find that the "network admin" does all of these things.

Even if you just do two of those things, for instance Network Infrastructure and Network Security, it has to be taken into consideration.

You may also be able to get more if you're doing EVERYTHING for those 100 computers, such as everything in Gex's post.

But if you're just hooking everything up and keeping it running don't expect a lot.

For example, if you're constantly pentesting the network, maintaining a website, patching, upgrading, setting up domains, and the like, you can probably expect more than the base salary just for administration.

It all depends on the skills the administrator has. This network of 100 computers might be a totally combined with a radical implementation of MPLS, BGP and fancy load balancing and serve up over 10 million users a day. Its all dependent on the work that is needed. If we are talking about a small office then 40-50k is reasonable, but the prior scenario might present a person with well over 80k due to complexity. Location location location, it also depends on where in the country you are living/working. If you're in silicon valley, that might baloon by as much as 20% higher than other areas of the country. See http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Industry=Information_Technology_%28IT%29_Services/Salary#by_Job

I have a bs in computer science. Manage an environment of about 2500 computers. But it really depends on the complexity as stated. I also handle the VMware farm of about 250 servers. All the backups (vm level and file level) and all the patching.

The enterprise tools that exist today make it so there isn't much difference in management time between 100 computers and 2000. It's the same number of clicks to push software / security patches. The time is consumed by supporting them physically (ie imaging new ones, swapping out a mouse, etc) which as. Sys admin you don't do too much of. You have a team of people below you to handle that.

All that being said, I personally make a little over 60k. That's in Utah.

Edited by Raziel

Some of these figures are outrageous. Some are more accurate.

I'm a senior tech. I didn't go to school for IT - I went for Social Work. I've yet to meet someone else in the field who actually went to school for almost any job - where I live, it doesn't matter.

I make 35K - we manage, give or take 250 systems. We manage multiple VPN'd non-profit organizations and a lot of dental offices.

And to put it in perspective, we're not just sysadmins - we're all in IT... VOIP, networking, rough-in construction, systems, everything.

It's a tricky field, IT. Because everyone works with a computer, everyday - they can't see the sense in paying good money for someone to manage their systems... until they break, that is...

• 1 month later...

I'm on 55k NZ. I was originally employed as a software developer but ended up becoming Head of IT by accident. Now the directors are complaining that software isn't being developed fast enough.... go figure.

Instead of a pay rise, I'd rather employ another IT guy so I can get back to coding.

Salary really depends on location and industry. A small organization with less 50 computers might shell out enough to make ends meet, if it located in a rural town. On the other hand, an admin in NYC or LA with the right qualifications can easily make over 68-150 a year. Outsourcing really only applies in situations when it practical to outsource. Its impossible to completely outsource an entire IT team. Most companies outsource to save money and more importantly avoid employee strikes. Developers are more at risk than admins, IMHO.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok first off a degree doesn't mean much. Practical skill does. also Logicalconfusion is correct it is all about the area you are in. In California Bay Area you can make 80k with 5 years 130k as a security admin, 75k as a Jr Admin with unix background. Now if your a jack of all trades in Computers and master of them all as well you can make 180-230k . Remember just because a place is asking for certs doesnt mean your not qualified. I know people that will spin circles around a PHD with CISSP or any MS cert, they have a natural talent.

Just craft a really well protfolio and resume and have some good references.

This is also a heads up and inside scoop Foundstone is looking for talented poeple to become thier consultants in the security field. now don't say crap I don't have security background because all you need to have it the willingness to learn and apptitude to learn. Recommended for admins that have at least 3 to 5 years of experience and understand networking.

you can easily get 100k to start and more if your actually experienced in security with web pen testing knowledge.

• 2 months later...

I agree with Harrison - It really depends on where you live - A network admin in New York will not get the same salary as one in Florida - In my opinion your goal should be 50k - If you get more and its above the cost of living in your area, kudoos... Maybe this link can help (http://www.computerw...ary_Survey_2012) - Accordig to this page a Net Admin with 10-15 years of exp. can expect a salary of 63k(ish) a year.

Edited by AshiOni

• 4 weeks later...

This all depends on location, In California about 80-90K for network Admin 5 yrs expfor a Security Admin 120-150k with 5 to 7 years.

Degrees are great and all buts its only paper.

Best thing to do is take a consulting gig in CA that allows you to Telecommute. As an FYI Foundstone is looking for people thay will pay about 80-100k and they will train you.

The place where my dad works at pays their Network Admin $75 and hour and he works about 3 hours a day there and then goes off and does his other Administration jobs. (There are not more then 100 computers on that network)

• 1 month later...

Like everyone said before it really depends on the situation and what the job entitles. For example I am a Sr. Network Engineer for a fairly large school district *Support over 34,000 users at 32 different campuses* and oversee basically EVERYTHING. (Routers, Switches, Servers, VOIP, IP Cameras, ASR, ASAs, ACS, Wireless, and the list goes on and on). I make 69K before Uncle Sam gets a hold of it. I live down in Texas and I could actually get paid more if I was to switch jobs / not work for a school district. The same job outside of a school district would be 80K to 90K. I would say that you would be realistically looking at around 42K a year for the company you explained. Certs are good but experience is worth so much more. Again it all depends on what you are doing *Network Engineer/Admin or A+* A friendly warning.... watch out for the little words on the application "Other duties as assigned". ;) Good Luck!

-Stealthkit