Laptop Webcam To Usb

G-Stress

Hey guys, I have a hp tablet laptop that I'm wanting to take the webcam out and use it as a motion detection cam. The wire running to it looks kinda like a internal speaker/cpu fan type connection. I'm wondering how can I interface this via usb to another pc? Is there such an adapter or a better way?

Thanks.

I am not sure, but I think you will need to some kind of USB controller circuit board, where you can solder the laptops camera to it.

I am doing a bit of research on the net, to see if I can find anything.

Damn... I was hoping there would be some kind of plug n play adapter available. I mentioned this as a suggestion in another thread I think related to security camera's and if I remember it was started by Darren or he added some sort of input and he mentioned he had done something like this before.

I wonder how he did it, if he used a laptop webcam that is. My reason for going this route is, it's very tiny, 1.3MP, the laptop is useless and free.

I am not 100% sure, how you would rig up your laptops camera to a USB.

I guess what you could do, is hit Darren at feedback@hak5.org and ask him that question.

He may be able to shed some lights, since he is into the whole electronic stuff.

How many wires coming from the camera? Some webcams built into laptops are actually usb. If this is the case.. Should have 4 wires. Would be just a matter of hooking it to a usb header.

41FwSEY0opL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

If it looks like that and you're lucky(and lazy). You might have an open internal usb spot on your mother board. Plug it in and have at it.

Edited by GeekGoneCrazy

I checked how mine webcam from old computer is connected, that computer is broken. From Webcam came 5 cables, blue, red, brown, and yellow and green together. Should It work as usb webcam. from screen comes only 1 cable out.

I checked how mine webcam from old computer is connected, that computer is broken. From Webcam came 5 cables, blue, red, brown, and yellow and green together. Should It work as usb webcam. from screen comes only 1 cable out.

If you notice from those internal usb connectors pictured in the attached image. There are actually 5 wires. I'm not positive what exactly the 5th wire is for.. But see no reason it wouldn't.

Mine also has 5 wire's 2 are twisted together. A friend of mine said one is probably for the built in mic. I've been trying to find a diagram that will tell me which wire is what so I can hopefully splice it into a standard usb cable.

Could I really just connect those wire's and connect then to usb cable?

• 4 weeks later...

I opened one usb cable and there are 4 wires, and metal cover. Colers are different than those that comes from my web cam. Usb cables colours are red, green, black,and white. So which one goes to which one?