Certifications

Mad-Cat

Well just though i would post a questinos and ask peoples advice out there

i have been working full time in IT for about 10 years mainly in Windows side where im fully certified and am now looking at cisco cert to help get a more $$$ job i remember on hak5 a while ago there was a episode that has someone talking about a great web site to get certified if anyone has the reference to it or can rememberwhat season at least (there are a lot to watch again other wise.. but really just want to know other peoples thoughts on what is valuable to have and what isnt?

thanks

Dave

I've heard in other forums that testout seems a very good place to study for your certification.

They have very comprehensive videos that will make learning fun and interesting and more enjoyable than any other.

http://www.testout.com/

Edited by Infiltrator

I've heard in other forums that testout seems a very good place to study for your certification.

They have very comprehensive videos that will make learning fun and interesting and more enjoyable than any other.

http://www.testout.com/

Thanks for the replay there are a few good online learning things but im more after what qualifications are worth getting at the moment what are people hearing that people are looking for....

thanks again :) ill cheak out that site always good to know more places to go..

It all depends what area in IT you want to go to, as well as what experience you have at hand.

I currently work for an IT company, doing 2sd level support and they require me to have at least Microsoft 7 and Windows 2008 server certification. I am currently in the process of studying for both, so I can take the exams later.

I also plan on having a CCNA and Server/Active Directory administration certification in the future, very handy I want to get a promotion one day.

For guys looking into the CCNA, check out the book (or e-book) by Todd Lammle (sp?). I devoured it one summer (after taking a crappy Cisco class in high school) and then conquered the exam. Of course, you'll still want to have a virtual/real router to play with for lab purposes. Anyway, Lammle's book made everything so clear and easy, and it got me the CCNA at age 16. ^_^

If you plan on taking a CCNA course, you might also want to look into GNS3, which is a virtual router lab.

Very handy and most of the stuff you do in a real cisco lab like configuring switches and routers, you can do with GNS3 as well.

http://www.gns3.net/

• 4 weeks later...

If your quite well disciplined I'd reccomend finding out the Exam References/Module References from the Vendor Site and doing a good old...

<module reference> ebook rapidshare.com

*SEARCH* :)

Then just pay to the exam.

I must say though not sure what it's like in the US but here in the UK I work for Banks/Insurance companies as a technical architect and i've only got a few certs. Mostly goes off experience if you work for the big boys :)

• 3 weeks later...

If any one is doing there CCNA or any cisco exam, check cisco packet tracer.

Its like GNS3 but you can confgure a range of Switches at command prompt and also has a range of routers to use.

Not the full IOS is used but its well enought to pass you're CCNA.

I used GNS3 now i dont bother.

(doesent slow your PC either)

Let me know what you think !