Business Networking

Hi all, i have a quick question:

do most company's hire a IT guy, or employ a IT company?

i ask because i cant imagine all company's knowing how to hire a proper IT. so i would assume that they would employ a IT company. my dad has a small business, and he hired a guy with his own business to set up his network. but of course a small company more than likely wont be hiring a IT full time.

thanks!

Can do either or depending on the companies needs.

If it's a small programing company (say, 12 people), there might be a 'generic IT person' floating about, to do all the stuff the developers don't want and aren't been paid to do (call customer service to replace hardware, install operating systems, ensure every thing is backed up etc.).

I've been working for an IT company for two years as a full time contracted worker. But I do occasionally, provide on site support for a small owned company whenever they need me, they are consisted of 6 employees and has a very small network infrastructure with a Windows 2008 server DC.

• 2 weeks later...

There is no most.

They do emplor network guys, they do contract them out. Really it doesn't matter for you.

Umm, want more?

Networking has so many levels, kind of like helping someone to burn a CD or helping them to build a computer to do a specific job and then join a domain. All simple, but some takes more time. Then you have the stuff that makes you think, and pushes you.

Learn, get qualifies. Go for job... NEXT!

• 2 weeks later...

At least in the Midwest, seems like there are a ton of temp contract and contract-to-hire jobs out there. I was about to be laid off and luckily found a new permanent job before I was set to be cut loose, but I still get at least five emails a week from different staffing agents that find me on Dice or CareerBuilder with contract opportunities.

I just got transferred from my 2 years help desk job to an engineering position. So I am gonna love it.

• 4 weeks later...

So if you like IT and wants to work for an IT company, I would suggest starting off in lower level position, like a helpdesk and then move your way up the ladder.

im actually looking to start my own business.

That's a good idea, I also plan to open my own business as well.

But not at this point in time. If you don't mind me asking what kind of services are you planing on proving.

computer networking mainly for bigger business's. as well as software deployment. and system administration.

and for small business's and homes, network setup, as well as virus removal and maintenance and all that good stuff. and troubleshooting and fixing problems of all kind. also, desktop building. i think i will want to do that to. build gaming rigs people can use.

I plan on doing the same, but more on the retail side. Selling IT products, as well as offering some of the services you mentioned, like software/ hardware installation and troubleshooting, network and server installation for home and small business.

Good luck bro...

yes and to you as well. i am 16 at the moment. but after high school i really want to do this. i will either take some community college courses or go to college for a couple years im not sure. and then i will do it.

im also looking into website building. and programming. so if i can learn those it would be a plus. thats why i was wondering if companys contracted other companys to do there networking or paid employees.

you know, im not really sure. i guess i would just play by ear, and get more as i go. if i got enough business i would expand and get employees.

suggestions?

I think you should start off with a few employees with experience in some areas, that should help you get some momentum into your business going. And if that works well, you could slowly expend your business.

Edit: Most companies start up as a small company and over time they grow bigger and bigger. But again it all depends on how the company gets successful over the years.

Edited by Infiltrator

• 4 weeks later...

I think it depends on the size of the company. For smaller to mid-sized companies it's more economical to hire internally. But these days all the large companies are outsourcing the IT department. Even if the service isn't as good, it makes sense economically, and they have someone to point the finger at

• 2 weeks later...
you know, im not really sure. i guess i would just play by ear, and get more as i go. if i got enough business i would expand and get employees.

suggestions?

Hey bro, start out small with friends, family, etc. Then build up a reputation and see if you can get a job at your high school. For me, I started with computers off the curb and frankensteined them and moved my way all the way up till now where I built my own Gaming rig, have my own company, and I am currently an IT Administrator for a Sales Management company.....btw Im 18 :D so, build up a rep first and yes, play it by ear, make friends in the IT business and make connections.

• 2 weeks later...