Custon U3 Cd Drive Thing

blksith0

Hey so I have a U3 drive, and I have a file that I want to run when I plug it in, without the windows autorun dialogue, so I want it on the U3 fake cd-rom partition. Anyway, need some help. Thanks.

Edited by blksith0

Hey so I have a U3 drive, and I have a file that I want to run when I plug it in, without the windows autorun dialogue, so I want it on the U3 fake cd-rom partition. Anyway, need some help. Thanks.

Sounds to me like a simple case of a custom autorun.inf file and some ISO creator.

Maybe something like this:

1. Create your autorun.inf file

[AutoRun]
open=myapplication.exe

If it isn't an executable file you might need to use the "shellexecute=" option instead of "open=", at least judging from the msdn article here.

2. Use some ISO creator/editor, such as WinISO, isomaster or genisoimage, and put your autorun.inf file and your other file in the root directory (often refered to as the top directory).

3. Apply the generated .iso file to your U3 stick using U3 Customizer or u3-tool.

I've tried to keep the steps Linux-friendly for people like me who use it as the primary OS :) .

Legend:

GUI - Windows

GUI - Linux

CLI - Linux

CLI - Multi-platform

Edited by Djhg2K

What kinda file? .exe, .bat, etc?

• 8 months later...

Forget that, now I want to copy a file from a computer to my flash drive automatically. And I know how to do this, except that I cant have that Windows autorun dialogue pop up.

So my first thought was to just make the entire a thing a CD partition, however, the files would need some place to go, so that would've work.

But then what if I make a little vbs script that it runs, and it automatically kills the process for that autorun dialogue? (rundll32 I believe)

Anyway, just wondering if that would work. I totally forgot how to make the U3 drives do what I want, so Ill have to go back and read some guides again.