Finding Non-broadcasting Sidd Ap's

joeypesci

I use to use a tool in Windows that allowed me to see all WIFI AP's in the area, even if they weren't broadcasting their SIDD. Can't remember what it was called. Anyone got any ideas?

Don't want to use anything for Linux as I don't get along with Linux. Sorry but I like Windows as it just works.

NetStumbler?

What about airodump-ng, doesn't it search for non-broadcast SSIDs as well.

NetStumbler?

No. Netstumbler uses "Active Probing". If an AP has it's SSID set to non-broadcast it will not respond to the probe packet and Netstumbler won't see it.

If you want to find Non broadcast AP you need to use Kismet. Kismet is a passive scanner and listens only. So, if an AP is not broadcasting Kismet will still see the data/traffic going in and out of it. It will capture the packets and extract the SSID from those packets. This only works if there is traffic on the hidden AP. Which there usually is.

Netstumbler only works 100% with Orinoco PCMCIA cards. Anything else will most likely use the Windows NDIS driver which is severely limited in it's capabilities. The one thing that holds certain when using the NDIS driver is that the SNR graphs are bogus. NDIS doesn't support discrete SNR. Also, Netstumbler probably won't work with Windows 7 or Vista due to how the wireless is set up in those OSes.

Marius is planning on releasing a new version of Netstumbler that will work under Vista and Win 7 but there is currently no track for when that release will happen.

For now the best freeware that is Windows Vista/7 working is http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider

Thanks. I have inssider running but tested it for no ssid broadcasting and it doesn't pick it up.

It was on a Dell x300 I believe with Intel's own drivers software, I think, that was the program I used that would detect non broadcasting AP's in the area.

That's what I thought!

Edited by Infiltrator

I don't believe there's a free Windows application that will show non-broadcast ssids. Airsnort for windows might still work, but it's no longer supported, and probably won't work with win7.

You could set up a VM with a linux distribution and have Kismet running off it.

How about WirelessMon by PassMark?

http://www.passmark.com/products/wirelessmonitor.htm

I checked the website, but could not find any reference to "Can search for Non-broadcasting SSIDs". You tried using it, to see if it works.

I cannot personally confirm, however I have sent a message to someone who would be able to. I will get back to you guys once he responds.

No dramas!

huh?

Another way of saying, no problems my friend, will wait to hear from you soon.

I can confirm it does show you AP's that aren't broadcasting their SSID. Just doesn't show you what their SSID is, but at least you know they're there.

The original program I use to use is the reason I just turned broadcasting back on, on my AP's because I thought it pointless turning it off. As anyone who knew what they were doing would be able to see them anyway, and with the tool I use to use it seemed pointless.

I leave them broadcasting now as kit like my Nokia E71 was having problems with the non broadcasting AP.

Thanks for the help people.

Edited by joeypesci

I can confirm it does show you AP's that aren't broadcasting their SSID. Just doesn't show you what their SSID is, but at least you know they're there.

The original program I use to use is the reason I just turned broadcasting back on, on my AP's because I thought it pointless turning it off. As anyone who knew what they were doing would be able to see them anyway, and with the tool I use to use it seemed pointless.

I leave them broadcasting now as kit like my Nokia E71 was having problems with the non broadcasting AP.

Thanks for the help people.

I know turning off the SSID is pointless, but there are still users who have no fucking clue about the existence of this tool.

Edited by Infiltrator

• 3 weeks later...