[Version 1] White Hat Ducky

We're seeing plenty of ways in which the ducky can be used for bad so I figured I'd start a topic to collect all the good uses for the ducky command sets and such that would help sysadmins and other such users to help fix what their users and friends have messed up.

Guest Deleted_Account
We're seeing plenty of ways in which the ducky can be used for bad so I figured I'd start a topic to collect all the good uses for the ducky command sets and such that would help sysadmins and other such users to help fix what their users and friends have messed up.

Well one obvious way would be a macro to reset firewall/AV/control panel/Account/etc. settings. Another could be to use it to auto boot safe mode launch administrator account open run ---> Controluserpasswords2 --> create new user or reset password to "lamepassword" :P

Not sure about the auto F8 it would have to hit f8 then wait for a delay 30+ seconds then sign in not sure if that would work or not.

Funny you should mention that. I was discussing the possibilities of Mr. Rubber Ducky with a few of my friends fix computer issues at a local elementary school when we have free time (hi noopy!). This tool would be extremely useful to fix common problems - installing software, reconfiguring them, etc. Can anyone think of a use for this that could not have been done with the switchblade?

Edited by shadowpwner

It could be used to automatically add email account's in outlook, and probably to make certain programs startup with windows (like company vpn's and other crap). It could be used to automatically install go to assist express!! :)

Run Process Explore from a flash drive before malware can take full control of a PC on bootup, suspend it's operation, then follow it back from whence it came and do your regedits without having to crack open safe mode, and know for sure that the malware is gone by killing the process and seeing if it comes back up.

I was thinking it'd be interesting to use them as a key... Plug in the USB and have it auto enter your user name and pass... Extremely simple, but would be nice for an IT department.

Need the admin pass? Plug this in. It'd be easy to figure out what the pass was, but it may help cut down on the number of people who know it.

EDIT:

I understand there are other projects for this, but ... using an HID device? That's just cool :)

Edited by wheeee

Can anyone think of a use for this that could not have been done with the switchblade?

Configure the BIOS. The Switchblade requires the OS to be loaded so it can execute software. The Ducky is just emulating a keyboard so it can send arbitrary key presses even w/o the OS being loaded.

Imagine a computer lab environment. You can easily replicate the OS and apps across all the machines by just cloning the drive, but until now you had to setup all the BIOS settings (eg, setting the admin password and disabling removable boot media) by hand. Now you can use the Ducky to do it super fast.

you could use it to install an OS and software... like if you have to install windows and office and security software and a bunch of other stuff on 30 laptops for a school... oh wait thats what i have to do for a school project getting laptops for a school... lol :P thats what im gonna try to do... something to help the community get going fast for simpler things is to basically make a keylogger/macro to run on the ducky that records your keystrokes and mouse positions and clicks to the ducky which then if you had a button and a rgb led on the teensy to indicate what it was doing eg. recording(blinking green when you press when light is red), pause(blinking orange when you press while light is blinking green) , saving( blinking red when you hold button while lit green) and ready to record (green after it is done saving) .... i think this would make development easy for even the biggest n00bz... well at least the basic development... anyone else think this would help? possible?

.......anyone else think this would help? possible?

well, I think the "key-logging" will be kinda dificult w/o running software ont he host machine. The only thing shared between keyboards is Caps-lock/numlock/scroll-lock status, Right?

I used it all year to connect to network printers and shared network drives. I left two USB keys at the office. One labeled "Add Xerox Workstation to your computer" and one labeled "Add Logistics Shared Folder to your computer"

Very handy since I was working from home at the time and rather than have to do a remote support session I'd just tell 'em to grab the USB key from the supply closet.

Maybe that's why I got laid off..... I replaced myself with a tiny shell script. :(

I used it all year to connect to network printers and shared network drives. I left two USB keys at the office. One labeled "Add Xerox Workstation to your computer" and one labeled "Add Logistics Shared Folder to your computer"

Very handy since I was working from home at the time and rather than have to do a remote support session I'd just tell 'em to grab the USB key from the supply closet.

Maybe that's why I got laid off..... I replaced myself with a tiny shell script. :(

Nice way to go about it! Making your life easier.

Man, it would be so nice to distribute some like that to the stores we support at work.. but then we'd be out of a job too. :angry:

Did you take the USBs when you got laid off?

I hope so, it is definitely a good tool.

Need the admin pass? Plug this in. It'd be easy to figure out what the pass was, but it may help cut down on the number of people who know it.

Yeah sure so you give the usb key which is just performing the admin login via keystrokes to everybody and why would that cut down the number of people knowing the password?

...So Maybe i just open a texteditor and look what this nice admin usb key is typing, oh great that the login...

Not the best idea to use the rubber ducky

Edited by Nescire

Yeah sure so you give the usb key which is just performing the admin login via keystrokes to everybody and why would that cut down the number of people knowing the password?

It wouldn't really, but think of an IT department and how many people still write the passes on postit notes...

I don't see it as cutting down on the number of semi-smart people getting access to it, just the people that would install limewire or some crap.

It's a slightly less visible means of storing the password.

IT WAS JUST THE FIRST THOUGHT I HAD!!!...