Alpha Shield Firewall

Guest Deleted_Account

Guest Deleted_Account

Hello,

I just purchased an Alpha Shield Hardware Firewall http://www.alphashield.com, which is apparently 100% unhackable. I've read reviews and other posts and Pentest results before posting here and it all sounds pretty good. Stealth ports, blocks port scanning (besides SYN ACK for whatever reason but all ports are considered Filtered ). My question is, before i put this into a corporate solution, has anyone had bad experience with it? Does any one know of any attacks that bypass it? I am pretty certain it's secure since its approved and tested by Home Land Security but just wanted your guys' opinion on it before putting it in at a Corporate level. (Maybe Darren can do an Episode on it that would be cool.) :P

Thanks ahead of time,

x942

P.S. I also tested it myself with Backtrack 3 and 4 doing port scans and such my results pretty much matched the online results I'll post a link to that one if i find it.

Edited by x942

Thought I would just tare the list of features apart:

Unique “GAP” technology (Trademark: AlphaGAPTM)

As in air gap? As in, no traffic is allowed through at all? What a silly name for a feature.

RPA (Real-time Packet Authorization)

As in stateful packet analysis, as in what most fileswall do?

IP Stealth Technology (Makes your computer invisible to hackers)

Most firewall do this, non of them work.

Stand-alone hardware sentry

If the firewall was implemented in hardware, it would be inconceivably expensive and impossible to patch bugs without replacing the unit.

Manual Mode (Timed connection with a logical disconnect)

Auto Mode (Continuous connection with an optional logical disconnect)

Don;t know what it's referring to here.

Lock Mode (Timed connection with a physical disconnect)

It has an off switch, what a feature.

Instant manual connect/disconnect function

It has two off switches, better put it on the feature list.

Auxiliary Port for other IP devices such as VOIP

It has a built in switch apparently.

Blocks all 65,536 ports for both TCP-IP and UDP communications

Those cheap firewalls do only block the first 1024 ports, this is definitely a bonus feature and not some thing every firewall should be able to do.

Stops most third party pop-ups

I have to wonder how many necessary popups this will block and how long it will be until you switch this off because it's a pain in the ass. It probably won't block the entirely javascript popups either.

True plug n' play installation and operation

Default configuration is everything allowed?

No technical knowledge needed for setup and installation; less than 1 min. setup

Yep, every thing is allowed by default.

No future software patches or upgrades required

So it is implemented in hardware, will be fun when a bug is found and needs patching.

Functions with all operating system platforms

It won't work with netware server 1.0 over IPX.

Compatible with Cable, xDSL, or ISDN

All firewalls will only work if they detect they are connected to the internet through there 'only supported' mediums, I see this is no different.

Firmware immune to viruses and alterations

I thought it was implemented in hardware? Now this has been back-pedalled and we are using software again, and they claim there software isn't vulnerable, it probably is.

No conflicts with existing firewalls or routers or any other security softwares

It wouldn't if the default is to allow everything.

Eliminates DOS (Denial of Service) and DDOS (Distributed Denial of Service) attacks

No it doesn't.

Provides 24/7 online protection

It's always useful to be able to call some one when things go wrong, even when it's not there fault because you had to change the defaults to make it useful.

So, a satirical look at the features they list for this thing. They had to put some thing on the site besides "blocks traffic based on rules, like every other firewall" didn't they?

Well, some of the features are total BS like "DoS Protection" and "Stops popups". You can't block a DoS attack without help from, at least, your ISP. Blocking popups, well, it probably will block the traditional 'openwindow' pupups, along with every popup you actually need to use a site correctly. Probably won't block the entirely javascript driven popups that sit on top of the actual page (it hate these bastards, fortunately NoScript ftw!).

It doesn't claim to block against the most common variety of attacks which is by some one going to an 'evil' site or even a 'good' site that has had 'evil' put in to it and then getting there browser owned. Please do not think for a second that "The firewall is installed, we are secure" this is very far from the truth. If you enable the firewall then don't allow any one to use the computers, that's fairly secure, that is until some one plugs in there own computer they brought in from home.

Have fun!

Vikash Sami, the chief executive officer at AlphaShield, explained that the artificial intelligence

programming built into the device's circuitry permits a computer to reach out and connect with other

machines and do things like download files and exchange Instant Messages.

The way it handles IM traffic illustrates both the powers and the drawbacks of cloaking one's computer.

With your AlphaShields up, only you can initiate these messages to your friends. They cannot see you

and call first. But once you're connected, IM works as always. The same restrictions exist with video

conferencing and other collaborative pursuits.

That has got to be one of the most useless features.

I'm happy with my pfsense box, thanks.

The device works with single computers and home networks based on cable/DSL routers. But with ISPs

that provide a different address every time one logs on, it seems only one computer can be active at a

time.

Am I reading this right? It only supports a static WAN IP?

The Aux port is a DMZ

The popups are for common malware port pop-ups and that scary Windows Messenger service.

BTW, read the forums there the number on complaint is that the Alphashield drops the speed by 50%

Vikash Sami, the chief executive officer at AlphaShield, explained that the artificial intelligence

programming built into the device's circuitry permits a computer to reach out and connect with other

machines and do things like download files and exchange Instant Messages.

The way it handles IM traffic illustrates both the powers and the drawbacks of cloaking one's computer.

With your AlphaShields up, only you can initiate these messages to your friends. They cannot see you

and call first. But once you're connected, IM works as always. The same restrictions exist with video

conferencing and other collaborative pursuits.

So... It blocks incoming connections, but not outgoing? Just like every other firewall.

Guest Deleted_Account

Hahah well guess i will be getting a different firewall for the corporate level. Thanks for the info btw Right now we are using comodo firewall and Defense + but looking for a Hard ware or Virtual alternative. Any you guys recommend?

I run my Pfsense box on this:

$75.00 USD

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=DL145-5R&cpc=SCH

It's running firewall, openvpn, freeradius, squid, snort, captive portal.

WAN and LAN are on the 2 gigabit Ethernets. I added an old PCI 100mb card that the WLAN comes into.

The 3rd ethernet on this server is for HP Lights Out so it can't be used for normal activity

I would have to agree, there are a lot open source based firewall products that you can get (like Pfsense, Untangle, and others) that get more bang out of the buck than AlphaShield.

100% effective? That alone is just a sales pitch, even high end firewall companies never boast they will get eveything.

I run my Pfsense box on this:

$75.00 USD

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=DL145-5R&cpc=SCH

It's running firewall, openvpn, freeradius, squid, snort, captive portal.

WAN and LAN are on the 2 gigabit Ethernets. I added an old PCI 100mb card that the WLAN comes into.

The 3rd ethernet on this server is for HP Lights Out so it can't be used for normal activity

I'm liking what you've done with your HP. I have 2 Dell PowerEdge Servers one 2500 and a 2600. Looking to do something similar with the 2500. What captive portal are you running and how do you have it setup? This would make a nice segment also I think.

Thanks in advance.

I'm liking what you've done with your HP. I have 2 Dell PowerEdge Servers one 2500 and a 2600. Looking to do something similar with the 2500. What captive portal are you running and how do you have it setup? This would make a nice segment also I think.

Thanks in advance.

It's all built in packages to PfSense. It's pretty much point, click, configure. There's guides on Pfsense docs for it all.

It's all built in packages to PfSense. It's pretty much point, click, configure. There's guides on Pfsense docs for it all.

Thanks. After posting to this thread I did check out the pfsense site and saw it had all those feature's. I've heard of pfsense before, but never new it was this powerful. I'm definitely going to be implementing that asap.