How to remove spysoftware

hevia

Um, why would you allow him to install it on your own machine? If it is your machine (and not the companies), uninstall the program. Period.

It may be a case that you provide the hardware, but we configure it with the same polices as you would have if we had bought it for you. We do this for people with netbooks, they buy them, we setup them up.

It may be a case that you provide the hardware, but we configure it with the same polices as you would have if we had bought it for you. We do this for people with netbooks, they buy them, we setup them up.

Valid point. I suppose having a "rogue" machine on the network could be a bit of a security risk.

IMO, I wouldn't let him install crap on a machine that I provide. If it's the company's PC, they can install what they want.

If it were my network, I wouldn't allow 3rd party machines to run on my network. If the company wants you to have a laptop, they should be buying it for you. It's a security and liability issue. What if somebody plugs in a machine thats infested with viruses that attacks the network? I would be pissed off if somebody did that to me.

I was a consultant for a few months and you wouldn't believe the stuff that happens. Some companys try to go cheap on IT stuff. They do things like not upgrade their antivirus and don't have an IT person regularly check on things like AV updates, firewall configs, and patches. Then they call you in a panic when they get infected and get irritated because it takes so long to clean up or reload 10 PCs and fix outdated AV. They freak out when they get the bill. I truely believe an ounce of preventiveness is a pound of cure.

Another instance, yet another company that doesn't spend a lot of money on IT, was a car dealer. They had one of their accounting PCs hacked and lost thousands of dollars. They ended up turning it in to the FBI, but all that money is gone and laundered off. It's a bummer, because the dealership also just recently lost one of their brands due to the cutbacks in the auto industry.

Opening up the network and allowing Joe Schmoe in accounting to bring his laptop from home in is asking for trouble!

However, if Jane from sales comes to you and says "I'm on the road far more often than I'm in the office, and this laptop you gave me is to heavy to cart around the tube all day. I've spoken to my boss about a smaller laptop but we don't have the budget atm, so I went out and bought a Dell netbook myself, and if you get a moment I'd like you to put it on the network and sort out AV and so forth", whats the harm in securing the machine for a user who will use this machine no matter what you do?

No problem with that. But what if they come to you with a machine with XP home edition. No joining it to the domain and they'll be pissed off that they bought the wrong thing and expect you to pull a XP pro license out of subspace and reload it. Either that or they'll buy a celeron/sempron with 512 of RAM and complain about how X or Y is too slow. Or they'll go buy Vista 64 bit and complain when Sales app X doesn't run in 64 bit. In the end, it causes more headaches for the admin. Then other people notice the pretty blue P.O.S. that user A bought and go out and buy their own crap and pretty soon, you have a network with gateways, dells, acers with various hardware specs, and mostly cheap crap with no warranty and they lose the restore disks.

Or, you could tell the user no. Tell her to bulk up and carry around the notebook that the company has provided and tell her she should have checked with IT before making a purchasing decision. Tell her that you don't have licenses to put AV on her netbook and that she shouldn't plug it in to the network.

To me, it's better off if IT handles the purchasing and releasing of machines on the network.