Convert Bootable USB to ISO

Raisor

First off, I would like to apologize for this post if the question has been answered before but I can not seem to get the search function on these forums to work. It tells me that my search returned no results no matter what I enter.

Now for my question, does anyone know a way of converting a bootable USB, such as the multipass usb discussed here, in to a bootable iso? I've done some google searches and all the result I get talk about booting an ISO from a USB device. I tried taking a dd image of the drive and writing it to the iso but it doesnt boot.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Thanks for the quick response! I will try that and see if it works and post my results here.

Just wanted to say that I was able to get the USB converted over to an ISO and it works like a charm! Thanks again for the link!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello boys, I come from Romania and my name is Adrian. I hate when someone says what did and did not say how. So because of this one, I tell you step by step what are the steps for making an ISO image from a Win 7/Vista Bootable USB stick

1 Install ImgBurn is free, you can find on google

2 Plug the bootable stick into the computer

3 Start ImgBurn

4 Now click on the "Create image file from files / folders"

5 Now in the "Sources" browse to your USB stick

6 in the "Destination" choose where to save the final ISO image

7 Now go right in the "Advanced" tab and then "Bootable Disk"

8 Check the box "Make Bootable Image" and then, in the "Boot image" box browse to file "etfsboot.com" that is in your bootable stick found in the folder "boot"

9 In the field "Developer ID" put "Microsoft Corporation" and enter "07C0" in the "Load Segment" field

10 Enter '4' in the 'Sectors To Load' field if your etfsboot.com file is 2K is size, enter '8' if it's 4K. (Basically it's the size of the file in bytes divided by 512 - i.e. 2048 / 512 = 4)

Note: Vista's is normally 2KB and Windows 7's is 4KB... so enter '4' if you're building a Vista OS installation disc and '8' if you're building a Windows 7 OS installation disc.

And now everything is ready we click on "Build". So this is everything you expect if you have questions post!

Edited by AdyGudus

• 1 year later...

I'm sorry for reviving a 2 year old thread but I looked for hours on how to do something similar and could not find an easy way to do so.

Goal:

Create a bootable Ghost CD to use with YUMI USB multiboot utility.

Since I would be booting from USB I could not use a DOS cdrom driver to access the rest of the data on the CD (e.g. ghost.exe)

Solution: Easyboot http://www.ezbsystems.com/easyboot/download.htm

After installing it I went to tools > options > create new image

Change the size to 8640 and selected dos98.img as the seed image (included with easyboot)

Clicked create and then opened the new image named 8640.img in WinImage and copied the all of the files that were on my bootable ghost thumb drive.

Saved the image

Modified the ezboot menu to only show ghost as an option and to only point to my 8640.img and clicked Make ISO.

Copied my new ISO to my multiboot USB drive using YUMI.

Since my USB drive is formatted with NTFS I can save images without having to span them.

Easier solution, purchase newer version of Ghost which includes Ghost32.exe and add that to a WinPE image... but the organization I work at still uses this older version. I'm in the process of migrating them to WIM format now.

References:

http://www.ezbsystems.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=2;t=1240

http://www.ezbsystems.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=2;t=1238

• 1 year later...

This is all nice from the microsoft world, but I am using a program called Yumi to create a multiboot USB stick with several antivirus/disk partitioning/ubuntu 12.04 on it. The Stick boots up fine but now I want to a bootable ISO image of it that I can burn to a DVD. I followed the instructions posted about using Imgburn but get stuck at the point 8, 9, and 10 from Adygudus.

The boot folder of the stick contains a folder called isolinux containing a file called isolinux.bin. It is 24 KB in size so I don't need to enter microsoft in the Developer ID and that sort of leaves me hanging with the next field needed (the Load segment field). The sectores to load would be 48 but this is a linux boot USB so what would I put in the load segment field. If I can get this working, I want to be able to burn the ISO imake created to a DVD for booting. Any Help would be appreciated as I am only a beginner at Linux.

Thanks

John