Best distro for learning the basics of an enterprise OS

Charles

Worded the title really badly, but what I am looking for are opinions on what would be a good distro to learn the "basics" of linux. I know Ubuntu fairly well, but I want to get some experience with other distros.

I was thinking about messing around with Fedora, but I'm not sure what is being used on an enterprise/small business level. (RHEL?)

Thanks.

For better or worse, a huge amount of enterprises use RHEL or CentOS. I am personally just beginning to find out just how incredible FreeBSD is (and am kicking myself in the ass for wasting so many years on Windows).

Time is limited, but you really do need to diversify. At least have a basic knowledge Linux/BSD which probably equates to CentOS and FreeBSD. As the years go on I'm finding it more and more difficult to keep up on everything. It's getting to be like medicine where you need to specialize, yet everyone expects you to know everything.

• 2 weeks later...

Not really a heh moment. Microsoft have spent years working on Enterprise level products that can create an environment which is highly manageable, easy to control, completely integrated and have terrabytes of documentation to back this all up with. Linux, and especially the FOSS end of the market doesn't have anything you can compare in scope and design to active directory.

• 4 weeks later...
Not really a heh moment. Microsoft have spent years working on Enterprise level products that can create an environment which is highly manageable, easy to control, completely integrated and have terrabytes of documentation to back this all up with. Linux, and especially the FOSS end of the market doesn't have anything you can compare in scope and design to active directory.

hmmmm.... you might want to look into novell's product line. suse, oes, e-directory, and zenworks. these products are really good. I have been using edir since it was named nds and this was way before active directory was around.

We currently run both directories at my office, mainly due to the fact that even though i feel that some of novell's products are better than ms, none of us can escape the fact that we live in a ms world. With ms having so much of the market share in the enterprise, it tends to push software vendors to make ms only compatible software.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

RedHat Enterprise Linux, Suse Enterprise Linux, Debian, Solaris, AIX and HP-UX with those you get pretty far. Those are most commonly supported in support contracts and enterprise hardware.

I think I need to definitely read up on FreeBSD. I downloaded the install DVD and tried to install it in a VM and sat there dumbfounded as to how to work it. *headdesk*

If you plan on learning FreeBSD, I recommend you take a look at the FreeBSD Handbook. The handbook is an excellent resource for all things FreeBSD.