Anti Virus for 10 clients

jenken

I'm actually surprised no one has brought up COMODO's offerings. I was a huge fan of Nod32 until I started messing around with COMODO's FREE security suite. It's now on the few M$ machines I have laying around the house. The AV is spot on and easily comparable to Nod32 and it's free. Might want to check out their AV (You can get it separately from the suite if you don't need a soft firewall or clientside IDS). The v4 beta client also has the sandbox feature which Darren reviewed in ep. 703.

How efficient is Comodo AV in detecting malware infections? I have used the freeware version of their firewall but not the AV.

Edited by Infiltrator

I personally always thought the COMODO suite was better than Nod32+malwarebytes combined. I don't mean to sound like a sales person, but I just have a lot of experience in the industry. When I'm messing around with pentesting and/or infected boxes, COMODO generally always detects it. Removing it can be a different story, but the latter can be said for about just every other AV on the consumer level market.

It's funny you bring up the malware stuff because COMODO released "BOClean" which is supposedly a dedicated malware detection and prevention system. Apparently v4 was released as well. I'll probably be messing around with it in a VM here shortly. I'll probably be running some "interesting" tests on said VM. :)

"Comodo Internet Security Complete" seems to offer a very good balance of protection. And I like the idea of implementing IDS into the application as well.

All-in-One Protection Features

* Comodo Antivirus Cleans Malware

* Comodo Firewall Protection

* Defense+ Host Intrusion Protection

* Auto Sandbox Technologyâ„¢

* TrustConnectâ„¢ Wi-Fi Data Encryption

* Online Backup Stores Critical Files

* Remote Security & System Support

* Virus-Free Guarantee

* ID Theft Protection Up To $15,000

Edited by Infiltrator

I use Kaspersky at home, and NOD32 at all of our clients. We have never had a virus slip through NOD32 at any of our clients. If you decide to go with NOD32, I can hook you up with a volume discount. Just shoot me a PM if you're interested.

If you have relatively well spec'd workstations then Trend Officescan is an effective solution. It is extremely easy to deploy, straight-forward to manage in a domain environment, and keeps well updated. On this Vista Enterprise laptop here the real-time agent is using only 3,2xx kb of memory - so it is not as much of a resource hog as the retail/home distros. Although, in a smaller environment where perhaps there is no dedicated network based protection systems, such as an IPS/IDS, I am not sure how it would fair. But from my experience it is fine, and it is protecting production banking/government/hospital systems etc. Only gripe is have had a few product updates that have caused massive system instability in a couple of cases, and have had to either patch or roll back...

At home am using Vypre/NOD32 and have no issues with either :) in comparison with Norton 360 and AVG.

Edited by nykon

There are four methods for updating virus definitions:

* The Virus Definition Transport Method (VDTM)

* LiveUpdate

* Copying an .xdb file

* Intelligent Updater

Read the following descriptions, and choose a method or combination of methods that works best for your environment.

The Virus Definitions Transport Method (VDTM)

The VDTM is a fully automated solution for virus definitions distribution, and is enabled by default between servers and their managed clients. With the VDTM, it is only necessary to update one server in order to update all computers in the network. The server gets definitions updates using LiveUpdate or an .xdb file, and then automatically distributes the definitions to each of its clients on the network. Read the following document for an overview and instructions:

"How to use the Virus Definitions Transport Method (VDTM) in Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition." at:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-s...002111915202948

LiveUpdate

LiveUpdate is a program that connects to a server, downloads the latest definitions, and applies the definitions to the computer on which it is running. You can run LiveUpdate from the Symantec System Center, or within Symantec AntiVirus. LiveUpdate can retrieve definitions files either from the Symantec server (which it does by default) or from an internal Web, FTP, or file server created with the LiveUpdate Administration Utility.

• 3 months later...
In Recently , I have similer virus problem then I can recommend that You should avoid MCfee because It is targeted by many virus is slow to receive definition updates, wan't tell you when It's broken and is all round rubbish. It is one of the cheapest though, So, If you want to tick the "Anti-Virus installed on all machines" PCI compliance check box and nothing more this will do better !!!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

with just a few clients, i like the webroot spysweeper and antivirus suite.

I used it at previous jobs and it always found everything that norton did, didnt slow down the computer as much and found the things that slipped through the cracks

at work we use Forefront... ;)

i find myself using malwarebytes allot to tidy up as well

Edited by DustinW

If I was managing a network with 10 or more computer, I would set up box with Untangle and configure Kaspersky on it, to give a bit of protection. On the other hand, I would still install an AV such as Avast on the individual machines, just to give them a bit more protection.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

They used Trend then Sophos at the NHS. Both seemed a bit shit, but they picked them cause they were cheap. I say seemed a bit shit as it might of just been the way they had set them up. As there was no one specific person who admined the AV. NHS has a habit of just ticking boxes and picking the cheapest solution.