open source database software

Darkmist!

hello all

i have been tasked with coming up with a database to host 5 thousand to 10 thousand records of various types, and was wondering what the communities best solution to an issue like this would be. my boss wants to look at sugarcrm as an open source way to keep track of them but they state that you need a database for it.

any suggestions?

ive seen mysql and ive heard stories of it being a pain in the ass from other coworkers, just looking for easiest to use and maintain as i have limited time to futz with it

thanks in advance

i have limited time to futz with it

Since all the data is stored there, who will take the time to make sure that it's relatively secure?

Do you know approximately how many queries a second/minuet/hour it will have to perform?

Do you know how many tables there are going to be in each database and how large each table will be?

If you can generate enough test data (just randomly with a few scripts) and can then generate peak usage you can probably work out how well MySQL will work for you.

Will the server be dedicated to the database or will it be doing other things as well?

Since all the data is stored there, who will take the time to make sure that it's relatively secure?

Do you know approximately how many queries a second/minuet/hour it will have to perform?

Do you know how many tables there are going to be in each database and how large each table will be?

If you can generate enough test data (just randomly with a few scripts) and can then generate peak usage you can probably work out how well MySQL will work for you.

Will the server be dedicated to the database or will it be doing other things as well?

thanks for the quick response.

its going to be a database that only about 5 people will have access to. the company that i am helping out just wants to digitize their records (they have 5000 clients currently, and willl expand up to 10000 in a year or so) so a scaling issue really isnt in the top priority, i am going to do my best to secure it. i am a relative of the owner of the company so i can get there when i need but with working full time and school full time i would like the database to be easy to use as well as lower maintinence.

i am looking into mysql right now, it will probably work fine but i was just curious as to what others have used as this is a vast resource of experience and theres nothing like the gods of Hak.5 giving their opinion.

thanks again

• 3 weeks later...
Your 2 choices are MySQL and PostgreSQL, PostgreSQL being a technically better, more stable and more scalable database, but MySQL is far more widely used and supported. Kinda like Linux vs BSD.

ok thanks. ive gotten it pretty well setup. i hope to post a howto when i get it fully done