Trying to get past a bios PW on a Dell Latitude D810

VoxPopuli

Hey, I just picked up a second hand Dell Latitude D810 laptop that has a bios password and I've been searching forums for a few hours and haven't come up with much. I tried calling Dell, but since I'm not an original owner they won't give me the admin password. This is my first time ever dealing with a bios password so I looked up as much as I could and found that you need to physically take the machine apart. I tried the simpler, non-invasive tactic of taking out the cmos battery for an hour, but apparently security on laptops are way tighter than desktops. Does anyone have experience with clearing the cmos on a laptop?

555: AFAIK CMOS batteries are soldered onto the laptop motherboards.

I have not yet ever seen a laptop nor desktop which has a soldered CMOS battery to the motherboard. Maybe that has something to do with what country you are in? but I have not yet seen a soldered CMOS battery and have fixed over 100 different computers atleast, both laptops and desktops.. more desktops then laptops though.

Well, better news! I was able to successfully transfer the Dell Latitude 810 in my name and talk to a support rep.. but you know how that goes. They weren't able to retrieve the master password at this time and we'll see if I have any luck in the future. The CMOS battery is located beneath the laptop battery and I did remove it for over an hour. But I believe the machine has an EEPROm, which will store the master password indefinitely. After some hours of searching I found this http://www.darkmagic.org/mike/dell-tag/dell/dell.html, but I'm still sketch on taking it apart and not completely frying it.

I'm determined to get this machine running :o

Hey, I just picked up a second hand Dell Latitude D810 laptop that has a bios password and I've been searching forums for a few hours and haven't come up with much. I tried calling Dell, but since I'm not an original owner they won't give me the admin password. This is my first time ever dealing with a bios password so I looked up as much as I could and found that you need to physically take the machine apart. I tried the simpler, non-invasive tactic of taking out the cmos battery for an hour, but apparently security on laptops are way tighter than desktops. Does anyone have experience with clearing the cmos on a laptop?

My advice to you would be to contact whoever you bought the notebook from. Aside from that, I believe there are some pins on the mobo that you can short to clear the password. I can't remember which pins they are though.

thats because you don't have to :P it overwrites the password in the bios. no disassembly or removal of batteries needed. I use this all the time to mess with the computers at school (change the date to 2199, strange things happen)

As a matter of fact yes. Not once did I see that both the battery AND CMOS were removed.

There sometimes is a reset jumper (usually close to the battery) that will let you reset the the BIOS to the original settings, you could look for that...

"These ones are something different. DELL notebooks save their BIOS password in an EEPROM-chip so it isn't deleted when you short-circuit the BIOS battery or something like that. Also there's no jumper/DIP-switch which disables the password."

Your going to need the Universal Password reset, if your Service ID for the laptop is -D35B, such as 8WG030J-D35B, then use a tool called Latitude_MasterPW.exe. Enter your service ID and it will give you your master password.