Episode 5x24

Darren Kitchen

Got BT3 and 4 working. Hiren's boot cd doesnt like me though. Anyone got this going?

And if anyone understand this http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8371 please let me know :)

Hurtcake: I got Hiren's Happy. Using v9.7

Just extracted it to my folder and used:

title Start Hiren's BootCD

find --set-root /multiboot/hirens/HBCD/boot.gz

map --mem /multiboot/hirens/HBCD/boot.gz (fd0)

map --hook

chainloader (fd0)+1

rootnoverify (fd0)

map --floppies=1

boot

Remember to change to the correct directory (mine is /multiboot/hirens/HBCD)

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anybody thought of making 2 partitions on a flash drive. One for the multiboot and one for everyday files. This would work great for me but dont no if it will work. Any idea? i might just try and see what happens.

@jdogherman Thanks. Works now. Wierd thoug, didnt change much. Im testing most of this in WMWare, that may have caused the problem.

And try downloading BT4 beta instead of pre, think i had some issues with that release as well.

@Coreuyja that should work. Will try myself, once i get a bigger usb-drive. Better get one tomorrow :P

Coreyja: That wouldn't be a problem with most drives but my question is why?

What I did for organizing is push all these files to /multiboot/(boot file). That way I have the minimal amount of clutter in my 16 Gig flash drive

i thought of something like that at first but thought you needed all of the boot stuff in the root directory. since you dont i will try the same thing. should be easier than doing partitions. thanks!

has anybody got a "BT4 data not found" error when they try and boot BT4? for me it happens when you see the BT4 boot screen and everything is starting. it says it cant find the livecd.sgn file which i have and tells me to shutdown the computer. any ideas?

I almost got Trinity working, its just beeing pain right now. Got it booting, but it cant seem to find the usb its booting from..

I mounted the trinity rescue iso in WMWare and installed it to another usb i had laying around. I then copied the files over to my multiboot usb, and added this in menu.lst

title Trinity Rescue Kit

find --set-root /multiboot/trinity/initrd.trk

kernel /multiboot/trinity/kernel.trk ramdisk_size=49152 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose pci=conf1

initrd /multiboot/trinity/initrd.trk

but all i get is this error

http://files.getdropbox.com/u/573882/Trinity-boot.jpg

Any ideas?

has anybody got a "BT4 data not found" error when they try and boot BT4? for me it happens when you see the BT4 boot screen and everything is starting. it says it cant find the livecd.sgn file which i have and tells me to shutdown the computer. any ideas?

The issue is that the initrd is not able to find the BT4 Directory in the sub directory I put it in. (I'm working on a fix, let you know if I find one)

I'm assuming this is for Linux?

How do I Mix a windows and a Linux ISO? :D

see the grub docs for how to boot windows(as in hard drive) and i'm betting that you can just chainload the boot directory as if it were an installed copy of windows.

hey guys,

great video from the Hak5 team. i got all my linux systems on my usb. thanx finally. It's pretty awesome to get BackTrack 4 pre-final installed. (Yes, i got it installed.) Well thanx again and keep up the good work. :P

UPDATE: trying to get persistant changes to work

UPDATE2: i got persistant changes to work on my usb drive but you have to make another partition on your usb drive using linux and formating it to ext3. Then you have to change kernel line from the menu.lst from nopersistant to persistant.

I almost got Trinity working, its just beeing pain right now. Got it booting, but it cant seem to find the usb its booting from..

I mounted the trinity rescue iso in WMWare and installed it to another usb i had laying around. I then copied the files over to my multiboot usb, and added this in menu.lst

title Trinity Rescue Kit

find --set-root /multiboot/trinity/initrd.trk

kernel /multiboot/trinity/kernel.trk ramdisk_size=49152 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose pci=conf1

initrd /multiboot/trinity/initrd.trk

but all i get is this error

http://files.getdropbox.com/u/573882/Trinity-boot.jpg

Any ideas?

I think this is the same issue as I am having with BTbeta4. The initrd is not able to find the filesystem. I was trying to think of a way to (s)link the directory to the root but fat32 does not support (s)links. Maybe someone can make a fake file that redirects to the correct directory. (needs more searching and poking)

Viewer Feedback;

Ideas for a follow up episode; Part II USB Stick Multiboot;

1. How in include large DVD images; i.e. 4681940992 debian-502-amd64-DVD-1.iso

2. How to use grub/grub4dos to chain to another logical partition for booting extracted .iso live CD/DVD

3. How to 'manually' prepare the USB in Windows & Linux

i.e. MBR (Syslinux or other), Set active, File system choices ... just in case an automatic tool

doesn't work (petousb failed on me, 'disk dismount failure', V3.0.0.8_GER (German Version) & 3.0.0.7)

4. Please mention if you are using tools in Windows which services need to run to allow

the tool you are demonstrating to fully function. I've experienced this in a prior episode where system

requirements for the tool are not completely mentioned, resulting in either a failure or incomplete results.

5. How to manually configure persistance for various Live CD/DVD boot distros to retain changes.

Thank you very much for your fantastic episodes!

@Darren

About the whole motorcycle thing. Because you're on bike and you're smaller the human brain doesn't perceive you as a "threat" and basically blocks you out. It's a weird thing. Same then happened to my brother and father-in-law. In fact with my father-in-law the lady looked right at him and then proceeded to to plow right into him. She even said "I saw you but I don't know why I didn't stop"

With me brother the guy turned right from the left lane and luckily my brother was kick and just basically jumped off the bike, did a tuck and roll and let the bike get pinned under the guy's car.

Good thing you were wearing a helmet (it's optional where you live?). Insurance will pay for a new helmet to so don't even thing about using the old one it's not worth it. I've seen ones that where they were barely scratched then they get dropped and literally split in half.

Glad you're ok.

Alright, I just set this up and I'm having a few issues I'm wondering if anyone else has come across. I'm experimenting with it but in the meantime I'd appreciate any input :)

Firstly, I tried to install:

• BackTrack 3
  • Kon-Boot
  • Hiren's BootCD
  • ntpasswd
  • DBAN
  • FreeDOS
  • Memtest86

This is my menu.lst:

color red/black black/red
timeout 120

title BackTrack 3
root (hd0,0)
kernel /bootbt3/vmlinuz vga=0x317 ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw quiet
initrd=/bootbt3/initrd.gz
boot

title Kon-Boot
map --mem /FD0-konboot-v1.1-2in1.img (fd0)
map --hook
chainloader (fd0)+1
map (hd1) (hd0)
map --hook
rootnoverify (fd0)

title Hiren's BootCD
find --set-root /hirens/HBCD/boot.gz
map --mem /hirens/HBCD/boot.gz (fd0)
map --hook
chainloader (fd0)+1
rootnoverify (fd0)
map --floppies=1
boot

title Offline NT Passwd Reset
kernel /ntpasswd/vmlinuz rw vga=1 initrd=/ntpasswd/initrd.cgz /ntpasswd/scsi.cgz
initrd /ntpasswd/initrd.cgz

title DBAN
kernel /memdisk
initrd /dban.img

title FreeDOS
root (hd0,2)
kernel /memdisk
initrd /freedos.img floppy

title Memtest86
kernel /memtest/ISOLINUX/MEMTEST

And this is my folder structure for the USB drive:

+---bootbt3
¦   +---dos
¦   +---isolinux
¦   +---syslinux
+---BT3
¦   +---base
¦   +---modules
¦   +---optional
¦   +---rootcopy
¦   +---tools
¦       +---WIN
+---ntpasswd
+---memtest
¦   +---ISOLINUX
+---hirens
    +---HBCD
        +---Vdefs
        +---WinTools
            +---files

In that root drive folder I have:

grldr
menu.lst
memdisk
FD0-konboot-v1.1-2in1.img
dban.img
freedos.img

Now I'm having the following issues:

• ntpasswd - No disk drivers found (boots okay, program doesn't work)
  • FreeDOS - Grub error: Partition not found
  • Hiren's - "Cannot find HBCD folder" error when I try to start any app (boots okay)
  • BackTrack 3 - Grub loads it okay, but it's just a black screen

This looks interesting - directly booting an ISO from Grub2.

I had to modify the initrd.gz in Ubuntu so it would boot from a usb (http://www.kazbak.co.uk/drupal/blog/technical/how-boot-a-linux-livecd-usb) and you might need to do the same for BT4. BT3 works fine for me without doing that, though.

What grub settings did you use for BT3? The ones from BT4b that Darren posted aren't working for my BT3 (see above).

title BackTrack 3
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/boot.bt3/vmlinuz vga=0x317 ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw quiet
initrd=/boot/boot.bt3/initrd.gz
boot

I'll try and see if the root (hd0,0) is even needed. Guess where my BT3 /boot folder is? ;)

Anyone know if BT4 Pre-Final and Ubuntu can run off the one USB? They both use Casper, and need /casper for the squashfs filesystem.

title BackTrack 3
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/boot.bt3/vmlinuz vga=0x317 ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw quiet
initrd=/boot/boot.bt3/initrd.gz
boot

I'll try and see if the root (hd0,0) is even needed. Guess where my BT3 /boot folder is? ;)

Anyone know if BT4 Pre-Final and Ubuntu can run off the one USB? They both use Casper, and need /casper for the squashfs filesystem.

Hm, that's what I have in my menu file (with a different boot directory) and Grub opens it fine, but before anything happens I just get a black screen.