Episode 5x24

Darren Kitchen

Why carry around a dozen bootable USB drives when you could merge 'em all into one? On his episode we buld a USB Multipass complete with customized boot menu ready to launch any of favorite tools--including Backtrack, Ophcrack, Kon-boot, dban, freedos, and more. Plus Shannon reviews the Trinity Rescue Kit, the boot disc dubbed CPR for your computer.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got the splash screen working. It didn't like it when I cropped and indexed it in photoshop, then opened the saved TIFF in GIMP and saved it as an XPM, so I did it all in GIMP and it worked.

I added Ubuntu 9.04 Live to my USB, I'll post a howto if anyone wants, or you can do what I did - google is your friend.

Awesome episode!

I've been looking at doing this myself recently as I have a multitude of USB disks and wanted some kind of boot loader for USB so you saved me some time, thanks Darren !

Just a quick question do I HAVE to get a U3 disk for this to work or can I use any non U3 disk as It creates a boot loader through that tool.

I was thinking. Haven't got around to try this myself, cause i cant get Kon-Boot to work. Is it possible to somehow combine Kon-Boot with a payload. Does Kon-boot log you in with administrator privligies, and can you then extract all the information you need? I would love to know if this works.

Btw. All Kon-boot is doing when i boot it up, is flash once, and then nothing happens. Anyone else having this problem?

Hurtcake: Did you use the floppy version of Kon and the grub settings in the show notes?

title Kon-Boot-test

map --mem /FD0-konboot-v1.1-2in1.img (fd0)

map --hook

chainloader (fd0)+1

map (hd1) (hd0)

map --hook

rootnoverify (fd0)

Doing that for me and everything work just fine.

http://www.piotrbania.com/all/kon-boot/dat...t-v1.1-2in1.zip

I asked about this in the forums along time ago and found it to be too much work and not enough time to do it. Thanks for making it easier!

Don't thank me, thank Frank Castle. I was as frustrated as the rest of you trying to get this going, until he emailed me with the special sauce. Wish he had a blog or something I could link to.

Alright I got DBAN working. I had to rename the .IMA file to .IMG and push the memdisk kernal from TRK to the DBAN folder but that it worked.

BUT

• Im still stuck with the /dev/ram0 error with BTpf4
  • I dont know where to find the memtest86 img file
  • OphCrack is upset about the location of the tables. (currently in /multiboot/OphCrack/Tables/XP and Vista subfolders.)
  • And I dont know how to call TRK from Grub

Let me know what worked for you guys.

Alright I got DBAN working. I had to rename the .IMA file to .IMG and push the memdisk kernal from TRK to the DBAN folder but that it worked.

BUT

• Im still stuck with the /dev/ram0 error with BTpf4
  • I dont know where to find the memtest86 img file
  • OphCrack is upset about the location of the tables. (currently in /multiboot/OphCrack/Tables/XP and Vista subfolders.)
  • And I dont know how to call TRK from Grub

Let me know what worked for you guys.

My problem with Ophcrack is that the launch.sh that starts up only looks for tables in the root directory. But even after moving them the launch.sh fails :( it wines after it opens ophcrack complaining about the conversion from and to unicode.

I just used the parameters in the shownotes.

Downloaded BT 4 beta, and extracted the folders "boot" and "bt4" with winrar. Renamed "boot" to "bootbt4" and placed them both on the usb.

title BackTrack 4 BETA

root (hd0,0)

kernel /bootbt4/vmlinuz vga=0x317 ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw quiet

initrd=/bootbt4/initrd.gz

boot

Just want to throw this out there.. If you have a 8GB+ drive and your getting an error "FormatEx Error[11]: An Error Occurred Formating the Drive" even after formatting it FAT32 (as mentioned in the show), you need to download the newer version of PeToUSB v3.0.0.8 (link here).

I thought that might save some research time if anyone gets that error.. Good luck!

I just used the parameters in the shownotes.

Downloaded BT 4 beta, and extracted the folders "boot" and "bt4" with winrar. Renamed "boot" to "bootbt4" and placed them both on the usb.

title BackTrack 4 BETA

root (hd0,0)

kernel /bootbt4/vmlinuz vga=0x317 ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw quiet

initrd=/bootbt4/initrd.gz

boot

I did that to except I used the Backtrack 4 Pre Final.