U3 Incident Response Payload

Tcstool

So this leans more towards the white hat side of things, but I thought I would share the code from my U3 incident response payload I presented at PhreakNIC. It does require 4 third party tools to run:

PSInfo-http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897550.aspx

PSList-http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896682.aspx

PSLoggedon-http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897545.aspx

MD5sums-http://www.pc-tools.net/win32/md5sums/

Everything else is command line fu. It's been a great asset to me when I've had to work with malware analysis or go investigate a machine that's been owned. Hope you enjoy and hit me up if you have questions

First the go.vbs to determine where to locate the data; This file should be launched from autorun.inf (Based off Gonz0r's solution):

Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Set objShell = CreateObject("Wscript.shell")
Set colDrives = objFSO.Drives

For Each objDrive in colDrives
        If objFSO.FileExists(objDrive.DriveLetter & ":\u3ir.dat") Then
        strPath = objDrive.DriveLetter & ":"
        objShell.Run ".\u3ir\go.bat " & strPath
    End If
Next

Now the batch script:

REM Set log file location

IF NOT EXIST %1\output (
        MD %1\output
        )

CD u3ir

REM enumerate local accounts and currently logged on users
net users >> %1\output\localaccts-%computername%.txt
psloggedon /accepteula >> %1\output\localaccts-%computername%.txt

REM Grab network info, arp tables, open connections, and firewall status
ipconfig /all >> %1\output\localnet-%computername%.txt
ipconfig /displaydns >> %1\output\localnet-%computername%.txt
arp -a >> %1\output\localnet-%computername%.txt
netstat -ano >> %1\output\localnet-%computername%.txt
route print >> %1\output\localnet-%computername%.txt
type %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts >> %1\output\localnet-%computername%.txt
netsh firewall show state >> %1\output\localnet-%computername%.txt
netsh firewall show service >> %1\output\localnet-%computername%.txt
net use >> %1\output\localnet-%computername%.txt

REM Grab a list of installed software and running processes
psinfo /accepteula /h /s >> %1\output\sysinfo-%computername%.txt
pslist -t /accepteula >> %1\output\sysinfo-%computername%.txt
REM Grab state of all services on the machine
sc query state= all >> %1\output\sysinfo-%computername%.txt
REM Grab a list of the printers on the machine and properties
cscript %systemroot%\system32\prnmngr.vbs -l >> %1\output\sysinfo-%computername%.txt

REM Export the registry of the machine
REM HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
reg export HKLM %1\output\hklm-%computername%.reg
REM HKEY_CURRENT_USER
reg export HKCU %1\output\hkcu-%computername%.reg
REM HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
reg export HKCR %1\output\hkcr-%computername%.reg
REM HKEY_USERS
reg export HKU %1\output\hku-%computername%.reg
REM HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG
reg export HKCC %1\output\hkcc-%computername%.reg

REM calculate MD5 hashes of the system directory
md5sums %systemroot% >> %1\output\osmd5-%computername%.txt
md5sums %systemroot%\system >> %1\output\osmd5-%computername%.txt
md5sums %systemroot%\system32 >> %1\output\osmd5-%computername%.txt

So what does all this wonderful code gather you from your target machine?

• All the user accounts
  • The users currently logged on and what time they logged on
  • The IP configuration of all the NICs
  • The contents of the DNS cache
  • The ARP table entries
  • The TCP port states, and the process ID that is using that port
  • The routing table
  • The HOSTS file contents
  • The status of the Windows firewall and the rules it is operating by
  • All mapped network drives
  • All installed programs and Windows updates
  • All the running processes on a machine in tree view so you can see which process spawned which subprocess
  • The state of all the services on the machine
  • A complete export of the machine registry
  • The md5 values of all the files in the windows directory, the windows\system directory, and the windows\system32 directory.

Hope this helps somebody out. Again hit me up if you have any questions.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually it runs really fast. On a 1st generation P4 with 512 MB of RAM it takes around 3 minutes. On a modern Athlon with 1 GB of RAM it took a little over a minute. The slowest parts are the registry export and the MD5 calculations. I think to be able to gather that much evidence in an incident, that's not too shabby, particularly considering your can write all your data to your device. Pretty nice little portable investigative tool I think.

I concur. But this could also be used for less than legal purposes. I wouldnt need the md5 hash's though.

I agree 100%, but really that could be said of any information gathering tool. As far as not needing one piece of information or the other, that's what I like the use of batch files in this. You can just knock the lines out on the fly and rebuild your ISO image.

Good job Tcstool! I think it would be great to add this at the wiki... You're not responsible if the final user is using it in a white hat way or not, but I found it useful.

As HarshReality said a list of installed printers and properties from them will be very useful too.

btw, can anyon eprovide a t on how to put tis into our payload?

This can be easyly implemented into everyone's payload but if the idea is doing it into the Leapo's Pocket Knife it will be very easy, of course.

Maybe Leapo will do it or if he wants, I'll write (with Tcstool permission ;)) the code to run from Leapo's Pocket Knife for his next release!

The only you have to do is to add the apps to the SYSTEM folder and modify the

>> %1\output\...

to the Leapo's output log file.

But in this stuff I think that there is some things as MD5SUM or exporting the entire Registry in Leapo's will not be very useful (not as in other payloads oriented to security audits)

Leapo: What about it?

This can be easyly implemented into everyone's payload but if the idea is doing it into the Leapo's Pocket Knife it will be very easy, of course.

Maybe Leapo will do it or if he wants, I'll write (with Tcstool permission ;)) the code to run from Leapo's Pocket Knife for his next release!

The only you have to do is to add the apps to the SYSTEM folder and modify the

>> %1\output\...

to the Leapo's output log file.

But in this stuff I think that there is some things as MD5SUM or exporting the entire Registry in Leapo's will not be very useful (not as in other payloads oriented to security audits)

Leapo: What about it?

Permission granted! I would love to see this idea evolve. Since Microsoft has made COFEE only available to law enforcement, I think having a portable, self-contained audit and incident response tool like this could grow into a really nice open source project.

I'd like to take this and turn it into a segment if I have your permission.

Really awesome work man!

Sure man, Darren and I did a quick interview about it at PhreakNIC since this is what my presentation was about, but I really just hit the high points during that interview and didn't get into the nuts and bolts of it. You are more than welcome to dig into the technical side of it and do a presentation about it.

Instead of having the vbs script, you can use %~d0 to find out what drive the batch file is being run from. That would work in anything from Windows 2000 forward I believe. That way you would just have one file instead of two.

That's true, but the VBScript is not for finidng out which drive the batch file is executing from. You're locating the writeable partition of your U3 drive, so you still need the VB script to loop through your drives and find the u3ir.dat file.

I was looking at some other things that could be thrown in, just because... I am no bat expert so please dont point out all the flaws.

gpresult >> "%computername%_ID.txt"

driverquery >> "%computername%_ID.txt"

getmac >> %computername%\%computername%_NetInfo.txt

netsh show mode >> %computername%\mode.txt

netsh show alais >> %computername%\mode.txt

netsh show helper >> %computername%\mode.txt

mkdir %computername%

cd %computername%\

mkdir ect

XCOPY "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc" "C:\Documents and

Settings\Administrator\Desktop\WINDOWS-38QGJLY\ect"

cd ..

tasklist >> %computername%\%computername%_FireWall.txt

what is the difference between:

REM HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

reg export HKLM %1\output\hklm-%computername%.reg

and

regedit /e export.txt

I was looking at some other things that could be thrown in, just because... I am no bat expert so please dont point out all the flaws.

gpresult >> "%computername%_ID.txt"

driverquery >> "%computername%_ID.txt"

getmac >> %computername%\%computername%_NetInfo.txt

netsh show mode >> %computername%\mode.txt

netsh show alais >> %computername%\mode.txt

netsh show helper >> %computername%\mode.txt

mkdir %computername%

cd %computername%\

mkdir ect

XCOPY "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc" "C:\Documents and

Settings\Administrator\Desktop\WINDOWS-38QGJLY\ect"

cd ..

tasklist >> %computername%\%computername%_FireWall.txt

Good stuff. So let's start from the top (and these are only my opinions and I think worth discussing alternate approaches such as this):

• The registry export command you used is similar and a good way to do a backup of the entire registry. I like to export the individual keys for more granular analysis, being able to import into a VM,etc.
  • gpresult is a good one. Driverquery is pretty good too but I'm not sure how much insight it gives you into the behavior of the machine. Although with this day and age of driver exploits, that's probably not a bad idea.
  • The MAC addresses of the network interfaces are already listed in the ipconfig /all.
  • netsh show mode isn't valid but I know what you were trying to accomplish. I can buy show helper though. Could be useful.
  • We're already dumping the output of the hosts file. I'm sketchy on the value of the other files in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc....Anyone have any thoughts?

Tcstool,

This is a Great tool ,but you know what will make it better? You should add the switchblade antidote to it. Just in case you or someone you know gets pwned so you can help them out. I think that will make it even better!

That's a good idea, but I don't think it really suits the purpose of this tool, which is to collect evidence in the event of an intrusion. It might be a good idea to build a second version of this with remediation options?

I really want to find a good way to dump the contents of the ram... that way when you take the machine off line, you can go over that image. Ive been playing with dd.exe, but running windows in vm isnt that fun :/

Also, you said in your presentation that they can snail mail you the usb disk, have you thought of adding encryption to the folders? Ive been playing with a few low end crypto programs that are strictly command line.